Talk

Advanced search

Longchamp bags

(24 Posts)
London1975 Mon 03-Feb-14 09:33:46

I walked past a Longchamp store yesterday and their bags and lovely colour range really caught my eye.

Is Longchamp known for being good quality and long lasting?

I'm saving up for an investment bag. I'd like a brand that has class and quality but without the flashy logos and try hard factor - ie not michael kors or mulberry.

What other brands should I be looking at - Celine? Chloe? Saint Laurent, any more???

Thanks x

London1975 Mon 03-Feb-14 09:43:57

FYI this is the bag I had my eye on

uk.longchamp.com/handbags/roseau-box/shopping-bag-1986802?sku=65502

RonaldMcDonald Mon 03-Feb-14 09:59:24

I'm unsure about the idea of an investment bag.....?
Whatever
Long champ is associated, mostly, with those weird nylon shoppers.

I reckon if you love a bag and crucially can afford it, then buy it.

London1975 Mon 03-Feb-14 10:14:29

Yes you're right, investment was the wrong word. All I mean is that in spending a not insignificant sum of money on a bag I don't want to just love it, I want it to last a long time and be durable quality too.

RonaldMcDonald Mon 03-Feb-14 11:34:23

I think many would disagree about Mulberry being flashy or try hard..for instance I find them frumpy

I think that we often kid ourselves about why we buy expensive products. We call them investment when what we mean is that we want a little bit of a lifestyle we can't afford but has been sold to us by advertisers

I can understand that.
I think that leather bags with decent linings generally last. I think we often lose all reason around bags <I say that as someone who has spent about £20k on bags in the growing distant past>

josephinebornapart Mon 03-Feb-14 12:37:35

I have no idea if Longchamp bags last longer than other bags- but what's worth considering is that most bags date even if that's down to a tiny detail.

I like the look of many Longchamp bags including the one you linked to.

If you like it and can afford it, then buy it. I wouldn't pay any more than that on a bag- can't see the sense TBH.

BTW there was a big feature on Mulberry in the financial pages of one of the broadsheets last week- they are in financial trouble- profits down hugely last year- and the suggested reason was they have priced themselves out of the market for mid-high range bags. Not as costly as true luxury ripoffssuch as Hermes, but higher than their competitors like M Kors etc.

Watch this space.

ProfondoRosso Mon 03-Feb-14 12:42:06

That is a very nice bag. For £350 (in my dreams grin), I'd choose a darker shade, because I know I'd get it filthy in about a week.

I can't vouch for my more sturdy Longchamp bags, but I've had my Le Pliage shopper since 2011 and I have been impressed with the quality. At the time, I thought I'd live to regret spending so much on it, because it really doesn't look like much, but I carry it everywhere and it still looks pretty good. It's a lot hardier than the knock-offs!

blueblackdye Mon 03-Feb-14 12:44:09

The resell price is not bad on Longchamp bagsif you manage to keep it in good condition. It is a big French brand for handbags, leather and foldable vinyl.

dexter73 Mon 03-Feb-14 13:55:50

I read an article on the decline of Mulberry at the weekend and they were recommending Jaeger bags as a good quality, more reasonably priced alternative.

Tweet2tweet Mon 03-Feb-14 14:01:54

I like Longchamp bags and they do last. It is a lot to spend on a bag that size though, did you also notice that all colours except for black are sold out? Must be popular then. House of Frasers sell Longchamp, perhaps you could wait for a discount day if you're not sure?

I have 4 longchamp bags, two bought from charity shops for £1.99 and £50 and other two bought in sale at 50% off.

Mojito100 Mon 03-Feb-14 14:04:31

I'm not a shopaholic so when I do shop I am happy paying a higher price. I have a long champ handbag I use every weekend and love it. It hasn't worn at all and looks like new it also hasn't stained. I'm pretty tough on my things. Another brand I would recommend is lupo. The leather is beautiful and the styles different so you won't look the same as everyone else. My 2 if these will be with me forever and I constantly have people commenting when i use them. Go with what you think and love every minute of using it.

permaquandry Mon 03-Feb-14 14:11:36

I've had the small pliage, long handles since last year and although the bag is perfect and looks smart but not 'officey', I've just noticed the 4 base corners are worn and look scruffy.

I think I bought this in October, so not had it long. I know it was only £55 but I'd rather have paid more and the corners not worn. I don't ever put my bag on the floor, either.

It's been my favourite bag so far though and I've got quite a few Gucci, LV, Mulberry, Prada and high-end high street bags,

I also like Jaeger and my Lauren by Ralph Lauren bag was a good purchase. Plus Whistles are made well, keep their structure and have good styling details.

Littlekite Mon 03-Feb-14 16:04:47

Longchamp bags are generally considered a bit naff ime. Try Oli &nic instead. The longchamp le pilage range is dull full dull

MadameOvary Mon 03-Feb-14 16:10:31

May I suggest Ally Capellino. Not remotely glamorous but beautiful and built to last.

josephinebornapart Mon 03-Feb-14 16:16:55

oli and nic? are they still around- their shop in London closed ages ago and TBH I though they were a bit dull and not very good quality.

Longchamp is lovely but I'd recommend getting to a store to see them otherwise you may have issues with returns overseas etc.

UKgal Wed 26-Feb-14 12:37:32

I have three Longchamp La Pliage Bags. A grab bag size in Navy and two larger shopper type ones - one in dark brown and the other in black.

I've had the larger ones for about 6 years and they are just starting to wear a little at the corners after daily use.

I would recommend a darkish colour but they can be wiped over with an unperfumed baby wipe.

The Le Pliage Hobo style is also worth a look for something a bit bigger.

I suppose you could say they are a bit boring but I prefer to think of them as an everyday classic while not trying too hard. I bought the first two with air miles from Lufthansa so that's worth a thought. Seasonal colours often go in the sale.

What I love about them is that with nothing in they weigh virtually nothing and can be folded to go inside another bag or travel with.

They are very popular in German and France.

UKgal Wed 26-Feb-14 12:38:26

I have lots of other designer handbags and always use these first.

pinkhousesarebest Wed 26-Feb-14 12:57:12

I have a Roseau from 1998. It has endured all sorts of abuse ( I mostly use it as a schoolbag) and it still kooks great. Great quality.

smellylittleorange Wed 26-Feb-14 14:24:55

I have a Le Pliage Cuir - basically leather and red - I chose it as I wanted a classic but good quality bag that was not too structured - research kept leading me back to this one. I've only had it since Christmas but seems to be holding up well . Longchamp were originally a saddlery so are known for good quality leathr in France

NewChoos Wed 26-Feb-14 15:04:25

I love the bag you linked. I really like Longchamp bags, I have got a Navy Le Pliage am considering buying another bag in leather from them.

HelloBoys Wed 26-Feb-14 15:06:16

if you're talking about their nylon with leather detailing then you're paying a lot for that.

if you're talking about a proper leather bag (considerably more £££) then I'd say they're probably good quality.

HelloBoys Wed 26-Feb-14 15:07:47

God they're boring....

smellylittleorange Wed 26-Feb-14 15:11:40

I like mine tis bright red with nice silver details shrug - obviously
a matter of personal taste as I recoiled in horror at some of the detailing on other bags at that price point they have lots in their range not just the pliage.

Puddles1234 Wed 26-Feb-14 15:41:56

If you are looking for a brand with class and quality then either Hermes,Chanel,Celine or Dior.

I collect Hermes Birkins and Kelly's (Vintage, New and Exotic Skins) They are so durable and hard wearing and they are superbly made.

The same with Chanel however I collect both new and vintage Chanel and vintage Chanel is of a much higher quality especially the lambs leather.

Celine handbags are amazing my favourites that I personally own are the Celine Trapeze and The luggage tote. Excellent Quality.

I adore my Miss Dior bags they are stunning. Chic and Smart. Excellent quality and timeless. If you are after a bargain you can pick them up duty free at the Dior boutique in Heathrow terminal 5 one of my favourite airport purchases.

If you are looking to purchase a standout piece then absolutely do not purchase longchamp invest in a beautiful bag in a classic design that will be wearable season after season.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now