Talk

Advanced search

Petite ranges??

(35 Posts)
sotiredfornow Sat 01-Feb-14 09:48:02

I've recently accepted that I will just have to buy from petite ranges in the future. Over the last few years I swear the regular clothes sizes have got bigger all round (as in made for taller people). It doesn't make sense to pay so much for alterations. I'm 5'2.

Is anyone else in the same predicament? Where are you shopping? It's so limiting!

yegodsandlittlefishes Sat 01-Feb-14 09:55:29

I wouldn't say I've noticed this recently, it was something I realised about 20 years ago! Have some regular clothes sizes been good for shorter people to wear, then? I missed that!

I get 'a' (ankle length) jeans at Gap and other shops, petite at Next, Boden, etc and find that the White Stuff clothes have certain lines which fit really well, and a few other high street shops.

WhoNickedMyName Sat 01-Feb-14 09:57:47

I feel your pain. I'm 5ft2, always been a size 8 and suddenly am finding even an 8 is big all over. My weight has remained the same so I put it down to vanity sizing.

My best places for true to size petite ranges are:
Austin Reed - for workwear
Minuet Petite
Précis Petite
Very
Banana Republic
Top shop
Dorothy Perkins

I've recently discovered Boden has a petite section, and also, some of their age 14-16 clothes fit me perfectly grin

Thebignamechange Sat 01-Feb-14 10:02:21

I get a lot if things from next petite too but am watching this for ideas smile

callamia Sat 01-Feb-14 10:10:38

I'm 5' 2" and approximately a size 8 too.
I can sometimes buy dresses from Hobbs and Cos, but dresses seem quite easy to fit. I really struggle with jeans and trousers. Banana republic black trousers in petite are good, and most of my jeans are from gap, occasionally topshop. I need new jeans - all recommendations welcome!

WhoNickedMyName Sat 01-Feb-14 10:18:03

H&M are ok for jeans. The have one range that you can choose by waist and length in inches rather than 6/8 short/regular/long.

yegodsandlittlefishes Sat 01-Feb-14 10:25:17

I have jeans from Hawkshead (not skinny ones) which I've worn and worn and are a thicker denim than the Gap/Top Shop ones.

chanie44 Sat 01-Feb-14 11:27:10

I shop in uniqlo as they will take up bottoms for free.

chanie44 Sat 01-Feb-14 11:29:17

I've noticed that gap has a petite range now. I haven't tried it yet as I haven't get to grips with their sizing yet.

Belindaearl2 Sat 01-Feb-14 12:41:15

I've tried Monsoon, Next, M&S Autograph for trousers in Petite ranges. Sometimes even denims blush

sotiredfornow Sat 01-Feb-14 12:56:10

Wow, so many responses ladies. Yes, being petite is perhaps even harder when you're slim too. I'm a UK 6-8 and am really feeling the vanity sizing. It annoys me so much that a lot of shops start at an 8 yet their 8 is huge. When I was a teenager I used to wear a dress size 12 and was only around 10 pounds heavier than now.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have just discovered banana republic petite and that looks a good option for smarter stuff. I like the idea of Boden sometimes but do find a lot of their styles and prints older than my years (30). Gap is generally too basic for what I'm after and Topshop often feels too young.

I find this age so hard to dress for. I'm no longer in my twenties but don't want to dress like I'm forty!

WillowB Sat 01-Feb-14 13:47:59

Oasis and warehouse are good for dresses. They don't have a petite range but seem to cut stuff small and lengths are short.

Aquelven Sat 01-Feb-14 14:33:59

I'm 5'1" & haven't noticed it being a recent thing,it's always been a problem, though have noticed that some petite ranges have disappeared from the high street.
I buy Minuet, Précis, CC, Dorothy Perkins, M&S, Debenhams. Matalan are pretty good for jeans as they come in different leg lengths by inch not just short,medium, long.

sotiredfornow Sat 01-Feb-14 19:24:21

WillowB - you're right I recently bought a dress for a wedding from Oasis. It would be absolutely obscene on anyone of average height! Luckily it fits nicely. That was a really good find.

NumptyNu Sun 02-Feb-14 07:49:43

I also feel your pain. I'm 5ft 1, and traditionally a 10 but slipping into an 8 now (I'm not smaller, clothes are def getting bigger).

I've found Gap's petite range to be good. If I choose S in the petite range or XS in the normal range, both of those tend to fit well.

NumptyNu Sun 02-Feb-14 07:52:57

Sorry, just saw your previous post that gap not suitable. I also find French Connection dresses come up short and I get a good fit on plenty of other stuff in there.

I'm currently struggling to find a warm modern coat - any ideas?

claudeekishi Sun 02-Feb-14 08:19:29

Hi OP, we're the same age and have the same stats!

I tend to get jeans in River Island - they just suit me for whatever reason, and you can get shorter lengths there. ASOS do the Ridley Ultrakinny range which you can also get in shorter lengths.

Maje is a recent discovery for me. It's French so the sizes are pretty tiny and the lengths not too long. I tried on this skirt in the sale (it was half price rather than the full price here!) and liked it a lot. It was flattering and the length was perfect. Would be really handy for work if you work in an office (but I don't smile). But check out their skirts, some really cute stuff.

IDugUpADiamond Sun 02-Feb-14 11:05:38

Boden petite can be pretty good and also look out for French and Spanish brands such as Comptoir des Cotoniers and Massimo Dutti.

nickEcave Sun 02-Feb-14 18:50:11

I'm 4 foot 11 and a size 12 but have giant 30G boobs since having kids (and putting on weight) and really struggle to find things that fit. Some dresses from White Stuff and Joules that are described as "tunics" work well as dresses on me. I buy work trousers in the petite section of M and S but just have to accept that I will have to pay to have trousers from elsewhere shortened. I don't think I've ever bought a coat or jacket that I haven't had to have the arms shortened on!

WhisperingShadow Sun 02-Feb-14 19:00:19

4"10 and 6-8 and can not find jeans at all. I dislike skinnys and all the good makes beef half a foot chopping off. Any ideas?

I buy tunics from White Stuff, White Company and Jules, these work as dresses. Petite from Boden seems good. Next tops are massive.

WhisperingShadow Sun 02-Feb-14 19:01:11

need!

Clure Sun 02-Feb-14 19:12:23

I'm 5'1 and size6. I find that I am more short of body than leg!! I like River Island jeans - they do a short length. Also primark skinnies (again they do a short leg) I have trouble with tops, T shirts in particular! I like my t shirts to finish at my waist, even petite ranges often go down to thigh! Who are they making these for?!!! I have resorted to hemming and wunderwebbing tops!

RandomMess Sun 02-Feb-14 19:41:29

I find jane Norman comes up small and petite generally speaking.

Spockster Sun 02-Feb-14 19:53:09

Boden petite is just "short". Other measurements are normal, so dresses etc often too long in the body and gapey at neck/ shoulders. Most irritating. Seasalt can be OK if you size down, similarly Phase 8. White stuff do a 6 in some things.

burnishedsilver Mon 03-Feb-14 00:00:51

Coast have recently launched a petite range.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now