Advanced search

Anyone tried any new Primers? Not too matte, not too shiny..

(54 Posts)
selee Tue 28-Jan-14 19:34:26

I'm in my late thirties, have normal/combination skin... Would like a primer that isn't too matte but still has silicones in to smooth the skin, anyone tried a new one recently?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 28-Jan-14 23:24:49

Lanacane anti chaff gel,I kid you not. Same ingredients as the smash box one.

selee Wed 29-Jan-14 14:32:37

Thanks I will take a look.

BuzzardBird Wed 29-Jan-14 14:39:58

Really Dame, have you actually put it on your face?

ScooseIsLoose Wed 29-Jan-14 14:41:34

lancome la base is the best primper I have tried

ScooseIsLoose Wed 29-Jan-14 14:41:45

paperdress Wed 29-Jan-14 14:45:02

primper- much better name for it!
i threw my conscience/principles to the wind & went for garnier's 5 second blur. i really like it.
only downside is, it farts and hiccups out of the tube, but does a noticably good job without breaking the bank

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 29-Jan-14 15:16:03

Yes I'm on my third tube of it, it's fab stuff and a well known dupe for the smash box one. Not to be confused with the medicated lanacane, the stuff you want is ANTI CHAFF it's in a yellow tube and like a silky base-amazing stuff!

cocoblu Wed 29-Jan-14 16:50:21

am currently alternating between maybelline baby skin and bourgois I think its a matt effect one, am really impressed with the maybelline one smile

CecyHall Wed 29-Jan-14 16:58:22

If you want to try the maybelline one I have a tube used twice that I just can't get on with that I could post to you (I'd ordinarily give it to my mum but I just bought her porefessional for Christmas)

moggle Wed 29-Jan-14 17:54:12

I can back up Dame - got through a large tube of smashbox and loved it, but before buying the same again, thought I'd try Lanacane though really thought it wouldn't be as good - but it's identical. It's been a few months now and I can't see / feel any difference between the smashbox and the Lanacane. Apart from the price obviously... Might not be the same for everyone but for a £3 instead of £30 for a tube it's got to be worth a try.

krazipan Wed 29-Jan-14 17:59:05

I also use an anti chafe gel I got in America after I read reviews stating it had the same ingredients as smash box primer. It goes on as a gel but turns powdery. I love it!

selee Wed 29-Jan-14 20:00:48

Thanks everyone. All the suggestions sound very interesting. Will take a look. The Lanacane sounds intriguing!! Chevy that's very kind but I think I will see what the Lanacane has going for it first, but very nice of you to offer. I have a tiny sample of the Estée Lauder illuminating primer which I used today, my make up seemed to last longer than usual...

FuckyNell Wed 29-Jan-14 20:02:16

I bought the benefit one today and I'm pleased. Poreless something or other!

Steben Wed 29-Jan-14 20:11:38

I couldn't get on with the benefit one - and am similar age and skin type to you OP. people rave about the Laura mercier one....not tried it yet though its on my list. Not a day to day one but on a special occasion I like to use beauty flash balm (clarins)

FuckyNell Wed 29-Jan-14 20:26:45

What didn't you like about it steben?

Steben Wed 29-Jan-14 20:30:41

I liked it the first couple of times I used it then just found it meh - pores still very visible and I just wasn't keen on the texture. Maybe my pores are just to hard to control as that's the second one I have tried (mac prep and prime) and have still not found the one!

CarlaVeloso Wed 29-Jan-14 20:50:14

Smashbox Photo Finish is great.

frankietwospots Wed 29-Jan-14 21:08:28

Am also very intrigued by the Lanacane recommendation. I use the Laura Mercier one and honestly don't see what difference it makes compared to days when I don't use it.

BuzzardBird Thu 30-Jan-14 11:53:05

I got the Lanacane today (though it wasn't £3, it was £6.50 so I hope it's the correct one?) I will post my findings ;)

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 30-Jan-14 13:11:20

I think I paid about a fiver for my last tube, must've gone up. Make sure it isn't the medicated one for itchy bits!grin

escargot Thu 30-Jan-14 13:13:27

The Clarins one in the little red pot is a bit like an embalming cream it's so good!

For a lot less the Barbara Daly one in Tescos is good. Nice and smooth. (cheap at a tenner too)

BuzzardBird Thu 30-Jan-14 13:56:47

Well, my bottom is as smooth as a baby's face so I guess I got the right one? grin

Struggling90 Thu 30-Jan-14 14:10:47

Try Gosh. My friend recommends it and her make up looks good.

lovingmatleave Thu 30-Jan-14 14:21:48

I liked Stila one step correct. Described as a serum but I used it as primer and gave me a nice glow under make up. I just test various things in larger Boots before deciding what to get. Its basically trial and error for your own skin. I bought the Smashbox one after all the good review without testing it and I find is too matte for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now