Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else have constant desire to have hair cut really short ...

(56 Posts)
ClockWatchingLady Mon 27-Jan-14 12:53:21

... but know it looks better longer?

I think there is little doubt that I look better to everyone else in the world with longer hair. But I have a constant desire to have it cropped short. Every time I go to the hairdresser I have to suppress the urge...

This isn't a real problem, but I wondered whether anyone else has the same?

MamaPingu Mon 27-Jan-14 13:53:49

I have short hair and look so much better for it, and I occasionally get the desire to grow it long grin

But I know I look about 12 with long hair! Plus I'd be bored with it in an instant grin

TorcBasilandLime Mon 27-Jan-14 13:55:41

Yes, and women tell me I look better with short hair. Sort of feel that men are so pathetically predictablye that as a single woman it might be a bad move. That I'm invisible enough as it is confused Have shortish hair now, growing it.......

DialMforMummy Mon 27-Jan-14 13:58:58

Me, me, me! I would love to be one of these very feminine women with cropped cuts... I love the feeling of having short hair for a short while and then, every time, I long for my hair to be longer again.
I have very thick hair and a bit of a chin so short hair is not ideal for me.
But still, I wannnts it, I neeeeds it...< think Gollum's voice>

hootloop Mon 27-Jan-14 13:59:08

Yep I have that urge, so I have it cropped really short because I am confident at being able to style it. Result being it looks much better than the longer styles that should suit me because of my face shape but because of my inability to style hair well actually make me look like the wild woman of Borneo.

ClockWatchingLady Mon 27-Jan-14 14:35:25

Oh, excellent! Whilst it's tragic that there are others around whose elfin alter-egos will remain undiscovered/fulfilled (oversized elfin in my case...), it's good that you're with me on this...

Whenever I float the idea with anyone who has my best interests at heart, they say no no no (except DP, who obediently tells me he would like anything smile hmm). But still I hanker...
For me, a main issue is probably that I have small eyes and would likely look a bit too masculine for people's tastes. But I sort of don't mind looking a bit masculine. I just can't quite get away from wanting other people to think I look pretteeee hmm

buttercrumble Mon 27-Jan-14 15:02:15

Yes all the time , but too scared . I know it grows back but it's a long time to wait if you hate it

nickEcave Mon 27-Jan-14 15:11:35

I'm getting my shoulder length hair cut into a chin length graduated bob tomorrow and I can't wait! I think my hair quite suits me the length it is now but after nearly 2 years I'm so bored with it. The only thing holding me back has been that the style I want will need regular maintenance from a good hairdresser and I haven't been earning enough the last few years to justify the expense. Starting a new job soon though, so it will be bye bye to austerity hair which only needs cutting every 4 months. DDs (7 and 3) will probably hate it as they want me to look as girly and pretty as possible! grin

Middleagedmotheroftwo Mon 27-Jan-14 15:16:06

I have really short hair after years of having long hair, and I love it. Life is so much easier with short hair - it's just wash and go. I don't even bother drying it if I'm in a hurry.

NightLark Mon 27-Jan-14 15:21:41

yes yes meeeeee. All the time. I can objectively see that my hair looks quite nice long, but I hate it. It feels dirty and messy and I'm always finding strands of it everywhere. But DH does not like my short hair and, being the self-esteem-free zone that I am, I can't face having it short to get the silence - 'you look nice' is rarely enough heard as it is. But I do love short hair.

BreakOutTheKaraoke Mon 27-Jan-14 15:52:29

I'm just growing my hair after 3/4 years of crops. Was doing really well until I saw more gorgeous pictures of Michelle Williams- she's my hairspiration. Very nearly gave in.

Lulabellarama Mon 27-Jan-14 15:59:03

Me! It sometimes goes away for a while, then comes rushing back. My current hair crush is Jenifer Lawrence's lovely cut. I have also been seduced by Audrey Tatou's styles before.

The problem I have is that I know I could style it well and look awesome for occasions, but that day to day, when I'm in my waterproof and un-made up, I'd probably look quite dowdy.

CalamityKate Mon 27-Jan-14 16:00:51

I'd love to try a short style but I am chubby of cheek, piggy of eye and have many chins sad

ElizabethBathory Mon 27-Jan-14 16:38:18

Yep, but I know I'd miss having hair. I had it properly cropped when I was about 15 and it looked great when it was first done, but shit for months when I was growing it out. Short hair just feels and looks so much fresher sometimes...(usually when it's styled well, which is not something I got the hang of.) Mine's not exactly long now but I still get the urge to go full pixie smile

slug Mon 27-Jan-14 17:13:10

I have virtually no hair, just short of a number 2 buzz cut. Despite being big with a very large head, I have very thick hair and swim daily. It's liberating to have no hair (except when it's cold)

Frankly I don't give a damn about how I look anymore. You get used to it and it gives me free reign to indulge in DH's habit of buying me interesting earrings. The family joke is when it gets long enough to brush it needs to come off again.

ClockWatchingLady Mon 27-Jan-14 17:27:23

These styles are what I salivate over. Mmmm.

Cocolepew Mon 27-Jan-14 17:39:03

I have mine cut exactly like that second Michelle Williams picture. I'm super foxy grin.

fedupandfifty Mon 27-Jan-14 17:47:46

Cropped hair here. Sort of messy. I'd love to have a really short crop dyed white-blonde but I think you have to be very slim and elfin to pull it off. Sadly, I'm no longer an elf.

I thimk the trick to looking good with short hair is slap. It sort of counteracts any masculinity.

invicta Mon 27-Jan-14 17:54:35

Love short hair. It's so much easier to look after.

MamaPingu Mon 27-Jan-14 17:57:11

Makeup is definitely the way to go when you have short hair. Especially around the eyes to make them pop

My hair is shaved underneath and longer on top and it really suits me.
It's a great style for someone young as it's trendy but feminine smile
I'm fortunate in that I'm little and have big eyes so short hair is spot on for me

MamaPingu Mon 27-Jan-14 17:58:33

Cocolepew- I have mine a little similar to that!
Except it's brown and a bit shorter smile and shaved underneath

PoshPaula Mon 27-Jan-14 19:12:56

lulabella right with you re: Jennifer Lawrence's cut. It makes me feel sorely tempted to go short after all these years of long hair.

Except I'm not young, beautiful and blonde. I do think short hair can look fantastic on the right women and would love to go for it myself!

I've just had mine cut super-short. I think it looks much better. Don't think I'll ever grow it again now. smile

Agree re slap btw.

Plateofcrumbs Mon 27-Jan-14 20:01:16

I had a replica Agyness Deyn cut/colour about 6 years ago. Started growing it about 5 years ago and it's taken that long to get it to something more Kate Middleton-esque. Loved having short hair but growing out is a chore.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now