Talk

Advanced search

HoC for men

(10 Posts)
FaceDirectionOfTravel Sun 12-Jan-14 17:28:12

I am considering whether to 'send' husband go on a HoC day.

He is a real geeky t-shirt-and-jeans type of man who would rather never think about clothes, and loathes shopping intensely. He looks fine in t-shirt and jeans but shopping for his own clothes makes him feel massively uncomfortable, to the point where I think he breaks out in a sweat and stops functioning properly. I'm pretty sure this all stems from poor body image and not understanding the 'language' of clothes.

The HoC days were life-changing for me - they really helped me so much in so many ways and have improved my confidence massively. I think they would help him too. He would never go of his own volition but I think he trusts me enough to know that if I push him to go it is for a good reason and he will be okay.

Also, if I have to buy all his clothes for him forever, so be it, but I'd rather get the right things. grin

So I wonder whether anyone else has 'sent' their husband, or is a man who went to HoC under similar conditions? Any advice or tips?

RockMummy Sun 12-Jan-14 18:39:49

I haven't but I self diagnosed DH as a winter and have insisted that he buy things in better colours(charcoal, denim blue etc). They do suit him better than the beige and khaki stuff he always wore before.

Piscivorus Sun 12-Jan-14 18:42:01

My DH would love it. He is very maths-y and never happier than when he has a formula or guide for something. I looked at it for Xmas but the price was horrendously high for the couples one

FaceDirectionOfTravel Sun 12-Jan-14 19:42:08

Thanks both. I am not sure what my husband is although I suspect autumn. But then I was completely wrong about myself so would trust a professional.

I am also mathsy which is partly why I love having rules for clothes, and he is the same so I think he'd feel it too! I think he would find life much easier once it was done but the thought of having to talk to someone about his body just makes him feel sick I think. Bless him.

I'm already done so won't have it again, but also it would be better for him not to have me there butting in every five seconds. grin

TravelinColour Sun 12-Jan-14 22:21:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FaceDirectionOfTravel Sun 12-Jan-14 22:48:49

Travel Ooh, that is really good to know that he won't have to be measured! I think that would really reassure him. He paled a bit when I blithely mentioned stripping off in front of people to have my bits measured. grin

TravelinColour Sun 12-Jan-14 22:59:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PigeonPie Sun 12-Jan-14 22:59:59

Following my days, DH took himself off on the men's day (it's just one day, but longer) and it's made such a difference. He's a Classic Gamin winter (I'm an autumn) and it has just made things so much easier.

Just as when I go into a shop I can see whether there's something for me at a glance, on the rare times that he goes shopping (the once a year!) he also, can spot immediately if there's anything suitable.

It's also made it easier to get his shirts as we have a Charles Twywhitt near us and so if I happen to be there and pop in, I can get the right ones (I now carry his swatch) and there's no argument about whether they're suitable or not!

It's made him think more about what he wears and the styles, so it's definitely a good thing smile and he generally likes to look presentable.

FaceDirectionOfTravel Sun 12-Jan-14 23:04:37

Pigeon I can definitely sell him on the 'making life easier for me' side but I would be hard pressed to sell him on the 'being presentable' side. He doesn't really care. As long as his t-shirt has a joke or quote on it, he's happy. I have to tell him when his clothes have holes in or stains that mean they should no longer be worn. I have to tell him that his jeans smell after being worn all week and should go in the wash. So this HoC day is a million miles from his comfort zone!

Travel Thanks so much. grin

Fender1 Sun 14-Jun-15 22:11:48

Hi, sorry for resurrecting the thread but looking for advice.
My OH had his style / colour day last week and has been diagnosed as an Autumn Gamin Natural. Are any of you aware of where we could start looking for autumn or style specific clothes for him..?

I'm a winter plus a woman and got no bloomin idea. Help!! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now