Talk

Advanced search

Need a beauty boost! Starting to feel older than my years. Any tips?

(58 Posts)
suspiciousmind29 Thu 09-Jan-14 14:46:13

So as my name suggests, I'm 29. This isn't old, I know, but over the past year or so, I've been feeling I look a fair bit older than I used to. Never get bloody IDd anymore grin

I'm not sure what it is. I use good serums, moisturiser with spf 30 and wear face masks once a week - once a fortnight. My skin is still in good condition, so I can't really work out what's aging me, but something's changed. I don't have loads of lines or anything, like I say, I think I just need a boost.

Maybe some professional facials at the salon.....can anyone recommend anything?

Hope I don't come across as being really vain or anything, but it's really getting me down.

Have read that facial massages can be good for giving your skin a "radiant glow", which sounds good to me smile Anyone tried this? Any good?

Be great to hear some of your tips.

DameDoom Thu 09-Jan-14 17:23:31

suspicious this might sound a bit leftfield but have you tried Vitamin D3?
I am a lot older than you and do have Botox ( occasionally) etc. However, I've been looking quite ropey recently and went into Holland and Barrett to buy something completely unrelated when I happened upon the D3, so I bought some, took it and I am not joking, within a week my skin looked 100% better. I could not believe it.

I have got all my friends on it now and without exception, they have seen a massive difference in their skins too.

I spend a fortune on skincare as I do enjoy it but this alone has made the biggest difference in the shortest amount of time.

SundaySimmons Thu 09-Jan-14 18:02:00

Ive started wearing nude eyeliner.

The cheapo one from Rimmel.

I also dot white eyeshadow just outside the inner corners of my eyes.

I look much more refreshed!

The nude eyeliner is fantastic.

suspiciousmind29 Thu 09-Jan-14 18:17:20

Dame, really? That really does sound too good to be true. I'm definitely doing some research on that stuff! Amazing if it works. Do you know if it's safe to take on a regular basis? In what way does your skin look better?

Sunday, I haven't heard of nude eyeliner. What does it do? Intrigued.

Thanks

DameDoom Thu 09-Jan-14 20:02:03

Really! I take 2 capsules and I think it is safe to use in quite large doses - the amount in vitamin pills is far too low and is often D2 instead of D3.

After I noticed the difference, I started to google it and the evidence is overwhelming. D3 is actually a hormone, not a vitamin and with little sunshine, the chances that you could get enough in your diet is very negligible. They reackon about 10%.

I suffer from rosacea and although it is well controlled, I saw a massive decrease in diffuse redness. The tone of my skin is so much healthier too. Honestly, so many people have commented.

I don't think you have got anything to lose and you will probably be deficient in D3 anyway. Holland and Barrett have their 1p sale on at the minute. Do try it and let me know - I am confident you'll be amazed.

Weelady77 Thu 09-Jan-14 21:09:07

Damedoom you have sold it to me going to try and get into H&B over weekend, my skin isn't the best but certainly not the worse although I think it is! So will give it a bashsmile

DameDoom Fri 10-Jan-14 00:31:40

Weelady you must. I did 6 Holland and Barrett tablets for a week and then went down to 2. It says take one a day but after googling the research ( and there is a lot) it seems a lot more is needed than that.

I feel far more chipper in general and am sleeping better too.

DameDoom Fri 10-Jan-14 00:47:18

Get the 25 ug ones not the 10.

madmomma Fri 10-Jan-14 07:53:41

I am definitely off to get some D3 thanks very much dame
Could it be tiredness OP? Are you burning the candle at both ends?

RainbowBob Fri 10-Jan-14 08:00:18

OP: I look drained if I wear colours that don't suit me. Also if my hair has not been cut and coloured. And don't underestimate the power of a good night's kip. On the rare occasions I do not get disturbed by children during the night I look better. A good concealer and exercise also help (I am not great at the latter).

suspiciousmind29 Fri 10-Jan-14 09:13:16

Dame, a hormone? Hmmm, definitely need to do some more research I think. Better sleep sounds amazing! And I definitely agree with Rainbow that can really does make a difference to how you look. It's not often that I get enough sleep, but when I do, I definitely look fresher and I don't feel the need to wear so much make up.

I am pale, with very dark brown/black hair, which has always been considered as striking before. I think maybe now it's too harsh for my skin tone, but I don't like the idea of dying my hair, cos it's already quite damaging with heat styling etc. I've only just got it back in decent condition with a intense keratin treatment.

Wish I didn't care tbh. I know there are more important things to worry about, but I hate the idea of fading in to the background. It makes me really sad.

suspiciousmind29 Fri 10-Jan-14 10:00:05

Well I've done a bit more research and yeah, it does sound good. I haven't read anything about it making you look better, but read a lot about how it makes you feel better. I'm quite severely anaemic and so I'm on a fairly high dose of iron tablets, so I'm assuming it won't be a problem to take the vitamin d3 along side it. Will check beforehand. So, dame, do you feel that you actually look younger?

DameDoom Fri 10-Jan-14 12:58:34

Hormone sounds scary doesn't it? Just means that your body can make it whereas vitamins come from the diet.
I don't think I look any younger. I just look healthier and my skin looks better. Feeling better and looking better usually go hand in hand.

The fact I noticed so quickly and so have others has really astonished me. To be honest, I must have been so deficient as I do not sit in the sun and wear spf 30 religiously. I am surprised I don't have rickets!

I sound like a right sunshine peddlar - I have no vested interest in Holland & Barrett, just that it has worked for me - I have done nothing else differently at all. I recommend it wholeheartedly, especially if you are a bit rosaceay.

knitknack Fri 10-Jan-14 13:42:16

Blimey how weird. I was just have a browse of interesting threads and I've been taking the HB D3 for the last week or so (although only one a day) and just recently been amazed at my skin - I'd put it down to the fact that I've just started running every day (so regular exercise) but maybe it's a combination of the two? I might try taking 2 a day for a week or so having done some research...

Floisme Fri 10-Jan-14 14:08:07

To be honest, it sounds more like a lifestyle than a skincare thing to me. Your late 20s/early 30s can be when all the bad habits you get away with when you're super-young start catching up with you. Often this first manifests itself in your skin. Apologies if I have got this spectacularly wrong as I know nothing whatsoever about your life. However I do remember the very same thing happening to me - and that cutting down on the late nights and takeaways worked a treat smile.

cloudskitchen Fri 10-Jan-14 14:14:33

suspicious do you smoke? I gave up around your age as I felt it was really ageing my skin. Gaving up made a big difference.

Other than that I'm watching the thread with interest even though I'm somewhat older than you grin

Myrrhtle Sat 11-Jan-14 19:59:14

Giving up sugar for medical reasons improved my appearance no end. Skin looked healthy for a change!

Off to try the vit d3!

Wishfulmakeupping Sat 11-Jan-14 20:40:19

Going to look into vitamin d3 sounds amazing. I would agree about the fags and sorry to be a party pooper but my skin looks so much better since I've not been drinking.

Danceasifnooneswatching Tue 14-Jan-14 09:35:54

After reading this thread I have bought vitamin D3, looking forward to seeing the results.grin

sunshinemmum Tue 14-Jan-14 17:11:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SirRaymondClench Tue 14-Jan-14 18:23:55

Vitamin D3 is really good. I find the sublingual spray is better though, they have that in H & B too.

Clumsyoaf Wed 15-Jan-14 10:05:05

Sorry - silly question but DameDoom when you say you took 6 a week - is that six a day?

sunshinemmum Wed 15-Jan-14 16:43:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Coumarin Thu 16-Jan-14 04:01:53

Is the D3 the same as plain old vitamin D? I've been taking vit D for the past few weeks and noticed my face looks kind of brighter but also been drinking more water so...

If it's different I'll definitely give it a try.

Lottapianos Thu 16-Jan-14 08:38:44

Another one who's off to H&B tomorrow for a D3 fix!

OP, please don't feel bad about seeming 'vain'. There's nothing at all wrong with getting confidence from looking the best you can. I know some people don't care about this stuff but its nothing to be ashamed of if you do. Its what the S&B section was invented for!

All the boring stuff really works - sleep, water, veg, good fats like olive oil, nuts, avocados. Watch the booze and caffeine. No fags (sadly)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now