Talk

Advanced search

Burberry trench - can I machine wash it?

(11 Posts)
Corygal Mon 21-Oct-13 16:28:11

Classic trench, I can remove the padded lining. Am feeling too tight to face the drycleaning bill and wondering if I can get away with a nice warm wash.

Has anyone done it with their coat and survived?

bishboschone Mon 21-Oct-13 16:46:52

Did you buy it from new ? I'm a dry cleaner and there are lots of things you can wash and they are fine . I believe the macs are cotton and although it would wash fine I think it will come out very very crumpled and also you will need to wash in a special liquid to protect the waterproofing ( which is around £8) or at the very least a non bio. If you bought it from new I would expect it was a good £800 and of so I would pay the £10-15 to get it d/ cleaned ... I will just add I do turn many many things away to be washed and am very pro washing but there are some things that aren't worth the risk just for a tenner .

LeoandBoosmum Mon 21-Oct-13 16:58:43

I wouldn't risk washing it if I were you, not a Burberry trench!! I might be tempted to wash a Tesco special but a Burberry? No... Don't risk a beautiful, expensive piece for the sake of a tenner or so!
I would just pay to get it dry-cleaned and economise in other areas (where there is less risk) . Btw, Johnson's now do a 'green' version of dry cleaning which might be gentler to your trench. I hate dry cleaning as I can't tolerate the chemicals... I've been thinking of trying the Johnson's 'green' route on a few wool items I have smile
Link:
www.johnsoncleaners.com/cleaning-greenearth/

impty Mon 21-Oct-13 16:59:04

NO!!

I'm with bish for the sake of £15 don't do it. It'll never be the same again. I have a 10 year old one. I don't wear it every day but dry clean once a year. It looks like new. I expect it to last another 10 years.
If you buy nice things, and look after them it'll last forever.

libertychick Mon 21-Oct-13 17:03:08

<faints at the thought of machine washing a Burberry>

I have machine washed a Gap trench - it never really looked the same afterwards as it did get very crumpled and I found it difficult to iron with all the flaps and buttons etc.

bishboschone Mon 21-Oct-13 17:06:53

They do scrunch up , I have washed macs over the years and for some reason they are never the same again even with professional irons and machinery .

Daddydaycare66 Sun 29-Mar-15 20:56:33

Well I've gone ahead and done it!
Filled the bath with luke warm water added half a cap of washing liquid soaked my Burberry trench for 2 hours, then refilled with clean lukewarm water again, delicates spin in the washer hung up with a quality hanger till dry then ironed
worked a treat!

Saurus72 Sun 29-Mar-15 22:03:31

I'm a big believer in washing pretty much anything on the basis that I don't think dry cleaning really gets things clean. I wash my Jaeger suit skirts and they always turn out fine. I have just bought a waxed cotton jacket that says dry clean only. Not sure if I will risk washing up as it may mess up the wax possibly?

santamarianovella Sun 29-Mar-15 22:27:36

shock noooooo! I have one and I used to take it a dry cleaner that charges £30, its worth it,as it still looks new,and its almost 9 years old!

Atm Burberry classic trench coats are 1k and over, so not worth taking the risk,

SeasideSadie Thu 03-Dec-15 14:30:00

Hi - this thread is from ages ago but I wonder if you can help. I took my vintage burberry, which had a beautiful sheen to it, to the local dry cleaners. It has come back with no sheen, a very bad pressing job - looks crumpled and two small stains it had to start with still there. To be frank it looks worse now than it did before cleaning. I have disputed it and am about to have a conversation with the owner who says: that happens to raincoats over the years! Given that it's vintage, has been dry cleaned already and not lost its sheen (it was a kind of two coloured sheen depending on how you looked at it - gorgeous), I don't believe him. Any advice? Thanks in advance

Rosieposy3 Sat 30-Sep-17 13:27:17

I just received a Burberry trench coat from EBay. It was stained and smelt like an ashtray😢. As it only cost me £70 and had a removable wool lining , I decided to wash both in my washing machine. First I used stain remover on the coat and put it in a laundry bag and the same with the liner in its own bag and washed as wool. They both came out the machine virtually crease free and they are hanging on my washing line....they look like new....am chuffed to buggery 😀

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now