Talk

Advanced search

Would those Uniqlo Heattech tops be good for layering this winter or will they end up stinky?

(21 Posts)
naturelover Mon 14-Oct-13 19:12:46

I usually wear H&M cotton long-sleeved tops (although the colours seem to be limited to about five). They aren't particularly warm and I have vivid memories of how cold I was last winter.

I like the look of the Heattech tops and they have some lovely colours, but I'm concerned that they'll end up sweaty/smelly because they're synthetic.

Any experience of them? WWYD?

Havingkittens Mon 14-Oct-13 21:35:30

No, they are brilliant. I wore them most days under all my short sleeved jersey dresses last winter when I was pregnant. They don't get stinky at all and don't feel horrible and synthetic either. They're nice and soft and very cosy.

Heymacarena Mon 14-Oct-13 21:37:57

They do look a much warmer option.

I like the Bam clothing range. but they are a bit sporty. I must say though, that they don't ever stink of body odour. I can even wear one of my vests for a run - and it is fine afterwards (once it has dried out.. boak)

Lighthousekeeping Mon 14-Oct-13 21:38:06

I was disappointed with mine although it is very pretty. It's just not warm enough for me. I'm using it as a pj top now.

Medal Tue 15-Oct-13 09:16:42

M&S do some lovely thermal long sleeved tops, they seem to be a bit nicer than Uniqlo. In the underwear section in cardboard boxes smile

naturelover Tue 15-Oct-13 10:04:48

Thanks everyone. I'll check out M&S this week. I'm starting to feel the chill but don't want bulky layers so thin thermsl tops seem like a good solution.

Medal Tue 15-Oct-13 10:24:15

Here is the link to the M&S ones www.marksandspencer.com/Heatgen-Long-Sleeve-Thermal-Top/dp/B0038FRUJS

Pandsbear Tue 15-Oct-13 11:04:09

I've had the Uniqlo ones for last 2 winters and they were ok but I don't think I had them snug enough for max warmth. I also have some of the M&S thermal long sleeve vests and I think they were better - but they are also a tighter fit so it could just be that.

Didn't find the Uniqlo ones stinky at all to wear! Might be tempted to try again if Uniqlo send an offer or code at any point soon.

WowOoo Tue 15-Oct-13 11:09:19

I love mine. They keep me warm and wash well.
I love the fact that they are long body wise and never ride up like some do.

I wish they had even more colours.

scarlet76 Tue 15-Oct-13 11:55:11

Another vote for the long sleeve M&S ones. Wore to death last winter as I feel the cold. They washed well, wore well and were not at all stinky. Will definitely stock up again this year.

ygritte Tue 15-Oct-13 20:58:12

I have Uniqlo heattech vests and am wearing the long sleeved vests under a long sleeved top already. They are a good, fine layer.

In winter I wear M&S soft and cosy girls thermals in the largest size, they are almost fleecey and properly warm, not to mention cheaper. They are quite high necked though compared to heattech.

MissBetseyTrotwood Tue 15-Oct-13 21:51:50

I do like the heattech vests but find them a bit short. Mine went bobbly quite quickly too (but that didn't matter as they were underneath everything).

GeorginaWorsley Tue 15-Oct-13 22:33:22

I prefer the Marks ones too.

justasecond Tue 15-Oct-13 23:58:27

I also have both Uniqlo and M&s and prefer the M&S ones. Softer and warmer. Not stinky at all even though they are synthetic.

Medal Wed 16-Oct-13 11:20:30

I wish the M&S ones were slightly longer though - think it is the tumble drying causing them to shrink slightly!

Annie2015 Sat 10-Jan-15 13:08:05

They will not become stinky which is due to the fact that Uniqlo Heattech shirts CONTAIN BIOCIDES! These are "durable against daily washing". I bought two Uniqlo Heattech shirts in the UK, a Scoop Neck Long Sleeve T-Shirt and an extra warm Crew Neck Long Sleeve T-Shirt. These have been treated with Zinc Pyrithione and 3-trimethoxysilyl Propyldimethyloctadecyle, supposedly for preventing odor. I WAS SHOCKED! Especially as this fact is concealed on the homepage as "odor-minimizing fabric". Interestingly, on the packaging itself there is a clear warning "This product contains the biocide XY". I would have never bought this product if I had known this in the beginning. I would certainly not wear this when I was pregnant, nursing or holding by baby.

dexter73 Sat 10-Jan-15 13:51:37

Are there particular issues with those 2 chemicals?

trader21c Sat 10-Jan-15 14:26:19

I have lots of heattech tops I love them

CointreauVersial Sat 10-Jan-15 14:54:42

Definitely not stinky. I love my HeatTechs, although they do seem to shrink lengthwise after a while so have to be tucked in to keep out the draughts.

RichardParkerTheTiger Sat 10-Jan-15 14:58:44

Not tried the uniqlo ones, but love my heatgen ones. Long enough in the arms and body for lanky me grin

PulpsNotFiction Sat 10-Jan-15 15:15:13

So what's the problem then Annie? You haven't said what the danger is re the chemicals

*This is a ZOMBIE thread*

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now