Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about your armpit cleansing routine...

(75 Posts)
MoreSmellyPits Sun 06-Oct-13 22:00:07

please blush.

I shower once a day, I use antiperspirant, I wear virtually exclusively cotton.

My BO is terrible, even coming out of the shower and drying myself I can smell it.
I know it is bacteria that make sweat actually smeall, so is there anything else I can do? Is my skin itself smelly??

Any advice greatly appreciated.
sadblush

adalovelacelaptop Mon 07-Oct-13 00:13:36

I use shield soap and find that a shower is better than a bath for smell removal. Also make sure that bedding towels etc are washed weekly. and clean clothes on after a shower

MangoTiramisu Mon 07-Oct-13 01:21:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rules Mon 07-Oct-13 01:32:25

I use Pitrok crystal after a bath at night. That's it. No smell ....ever. Used to have more smell when using traditional chemical deodrants.

Rules Mon 07-Oct-13 01:33:45

Mango....snap. These natural crystals are amazing. Why are we sold this rubbish full of chemicals when they are sooo unnessary.

MrsCakesPremonition Mon 07-Oct-13 02:18:01

If you smell immediately after getting out of the shower having had a good wash, then it really isn't going to be bacteria making the smell - they won't have had time.

Do you have someone who could do a sniff check for you when you get out of the shower - perhaps you are more aware of possible smells and therefore think it worse than it is.

Otherwise, I'd definitely go to the GP.

GobblersKnob Mon 07-Oct-13 06:18:35

I also ony use natural deoderants and while sometimes I can get quite sweaty (as in wet) as I am pretty active and do quite a lot of exercise, it never smells. This was not the case when I used to use chemical deoderants.

stringornothing Mon 07-Oct-13 07:43:26

When listening to people raving about crystals, bear in mind that some people's (about 2%) sweat simply doesn't smell at all - they lack the protein that feeds bacteria.

I used to think I had this problem, but it turned out to be related to being a slobby student and sharing a roll-on deodorant with an even more slobby boyfriend who used to use it in the morning without having washed. Grim. I got my own and all was well.

Assuming you're not slobby enough to have this problem OP, I'd try another deodorant - Sure extra strength 48 hour cream is good, and if that doesn't produce a marked improvement then see your GP.

VeganCow Mon 07-Oct-13 09:24:22

Another vote here for mitchum.

Rules Mon 07-Oct-13 11:52:09

I use crystal as does my friend. Before when we used chemical deodrants we used to smell. I didn't expect crystal to work but omg they are amazing and best of all...safe.

coffeeinbed Mon 07-Oct-13 11:57:08

Baking soda will help get rid of the smell.
Yu can use it for washing.

lollylaughs Mon 07-Oct-13 11:58:25

Do you get Dettol bars of soap there? Or any other antibacterial bars of soap? I find that dh and ds need to shower using the bars of soap as if they use the shower gel that dd and I use (nivea, lux etc) then they tend to smell not quite so clean.

ArtexMonkey Mon 07-Oct-13 12:05:09

I make the second deodorant on this link out of coconut oil, bicarb and arrowroot powder, I add a couple drops of tea tree oil and a couple of drops of lavender oil.

It's way better than those crystal things FYI, cheap as well. No stenchy stench. And I am a bit of a sweaty betty normally.

Rules Mon 07-Oct-13 12:26:04

I never smell with crystal Artex

Rules Mon 07-Oct-13 12:27:59

and £4.50 for my pitrok that lasts three months is certainly not expensive smile

hermioneweasley Mon 07-Oct-13 13:10:01

I agree with MrsCake, if you are smelling straight after a showe, it isn't bacteria causing BO. Go to your GP.

Rules Mon 07-Oct-13 13:21:52

When I used normal deodorants I used to sometimes still smell a little bit after a shower. It was the chemical deodorant keeping the b.o attached to the armpit as those deodorants are hard to wash off as they are designed to stat put .

MoreSmellyPits Mon 07-Oct-13 14:48:27

Gosh, you ladies are a font of knowledge and experience, thank you!
Which is why I posted here in the first place...

The homemade deo recipe looks interesting and doable although DH will look like this hmm when I give it a go I am sure grin

I don't really want to go back to the crystal/Pitrok type things - I did not like them in the past tbh.

alemci Mon 07-Oct-13 15:18:43

I don't know if mine is hormonal but get wet patches under arms. had job interview and even before I got there . kept jacket on.

then at a gig, very hot. doesn't smell just embarrassing, used a mitchum stick

Department Mon 07-Oct-13 15:27:21

Do the crystals prevent wet patches or do thye just stop sweat being smelly?

Rules Mon 07-Oct-13 15:56:02

Well for me normal deodorant gave me wet patches but the pitrok crystal seemed to cause no wet patches....confused

Crutchlow35 Mon 07-Oct-13 16:07:36

I use Mitchum but don't use the powder fresh one. For some reason it doesn't work n

Hopefully Mon 07-Oct-13 17:03:49

Another vote for pitrok. You have to struggle through a few days while your body adjusts then it's amazing.

goodasitgets Mon 07-Oct-13 17:09:23

For me
Dettol soap used under arms, sure 48hr cream before bed. Any spray antiperspirant in the am. I wash/soak clothes with napisan as needed and don't use fabric conditioner

umiaisha Mon 07-Oct-13 17:17:23

Definitely avoid onions, garlic and spicy food.

Crutchlow35 Mon 07-Oct-13 17:33:22

I really never knew you could get dettol in a soap. Is it in all the supermarkets?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now