Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Rosacea....

(9 Posts)
Sarahlouiseis33 Sat 28-Sep-13 21:00:07

Hi,

After a bit of advice about finding a suitable treatment for my rosacea. Mine manifests itself as tiny bumps and tiny whiteheads over my nose/ inside cheeks and forehead. Does anyone else have it like this?

Also what did you use to treat it?

TIA

MrsFlorrick Sat 28-Sep-13 21:48:41

Try Finacea gel on prescription. And contra to what it says on the box, use moisturiser under it otherwise it stings like buggery.

For moisturiser, its all a bit trial and error sadly. For me Dermalex (from boots next to the eczema creams) has almost changed my life!! My face was red red red and this stuff is the only thing which has toned it down permanently. I love it. It's on 3 for 2 offer ATM. I stocked up today grin

Seriously sorry to hear you're suffering. It's rubbish. Best thing is to keep trying different creams drugs eating regimes etc until you find something which works. You WILL find it! It took a while for me but I got there.

Also see your GP. Not just for Finacea gel but perhaps try an oral antibiotics. For some people they work amazingly well. It's really worth trying 3 to 6 months of euthromycin to see if it works.

Also have a look at the makeup you use. It can make things worse with the wrong ingredients. Sadly it's individual as to what is good or bad. Pre rosacea I used mineral makeup and it was fab and I looked fab. Now I can't use it at all. It makes my face redder sore and itchy. All of it even the very pure stuff (Lili Lolo).

I also can't use any products which contains silicones (dimethicone etc). It gives me nasty big red velts on my face which hurt.

You will find the right products and medication. It's trial and error so do not be discouraged if the first things don't work well. smile

LeoandBoosmum Sun 29-Sep-13 03:35:37

I have pretty bad rosacea (red, tight, dry , sore...cheeks and nose...and eyes). I find Jurlique moisture replenishing cream (least irritating and moisturising enough) but like MrsFlorrick I can't now use mineral makeup whereas I used to be able to. I have limited success with Chantecaille future skin foundation when the weather is not extreme (when I need it most...typical!)
I looked up Dermalex (glad MrsFlorrick found something that's really helped) but I would try to get a sample first. It has chemical sunscreen ingredients *the one for rosacea on the Boots' website and they can be problematic for rosacea sufferers. If I put anything on my face with the sunscreen ingredients in the Dermalex Rosacea cream my face would go nuts.
For cleansing I have had the best success with Kiehl's supremely gentle eye makeup remover (can put all over face and eyes... I wet face, apply and rinse off) and Trilogy Very Gentle cleanser...a bit too thick for my eyes but great for my face used in the same way as the Kiehls. I did once try John Masters rose foaming face wash (nice for summer). Kiehl's will refund you if you react, btw...

MrsFlorrick Sun 29-Sep-13 10:48:10

Leo. Mine is like yours red tight and dry. And painful.

A combination of oil cleaning with rice bran oil, Dermalex moisturiser and some form of medication (and avoiding dimethicone, zinc oxide-as in sunscreen and mineral makeup) has made my face almost a normal
Colour again with just a few broken veins on cheeks and restored the oil to my face so its no longer dry and painful.

Make up has been tricky. I eventually found RMS Beauty Un-cover. A very small pricy pot which works as both foundation and concealer. No preservatives or silicones or zinc. And no reaction on my face. Pot may be small but lasts about 3/4 months so worth it.

I think it's also worth trying off label medication via a dermatologist. It's worth £100 for a private consultation. There are plenty which are meant for say acne but works really well for rosacea. Finacea is one of them.

Hopefully others will be along to give you more tips.

Chicksy Sun 29-Sep-13 11:26:39

I suffered for years with Dr telling me I had acne and putting up with no acne treatments working for any length of time.
I went to see a Dermatologist privately and he prescribed me Rozex cream. Its been my miracle. Skin was cleared up in no time. I use it morning and night and unlike all the other things Id tried it didnt dry up my skin.

lovetomatoes Sun 29-Sep-13 11:41:30

A bit extreme, but I found a gluten-free diet cleared up my rosacea. It's worth trying for a few weeks to see if it makes a difference. I also think a supplement with Evening Primrose Oil and Starflower Oil helps, probably because rosacea is definitely linked to hormonal issues.
Another thing I rate is washing your face with Selsun shampoo for a week. It's seriously drying so unsuitable for long-term use, but worth a try.
For skincare I use the purple Clinique cleanser and Shiseido Urban Defence spf50 for a moisturiser. While I had rosacea (it's almost clear now, except after too much wine/cheese) I found that almost all cosmetics products had the potential to irritate my skin and that none of them did much good.

Sarahlouiseis33 Sun 29-Sep-13 12:30:40

Hi chicksey,

Thanks for replying to my post, can I ask how long it took the rosex to work for you? I have been using it a week and a half and seen no change yet xx

Also what did your rosacea look/ feel like.

So fed up with this.

Xx

Kimmi83 Fri 31-Mar-17 12:12:50

I am on the last type of antibiotics to try as I am allergic to the ... Cyclin, apparently there are two types and I can't use either. All over rash and itchy hell from head to toe.

How long does the 500mg of erythromycin take roughly to get rid of the bumps please. I can deal with the redness, it's the bumps that are the embarrassing bit.

MojoMoon Fri 31-Mar-17 13:12:16

See a dermatologist. See a proper doctor, not a semi medical beauty therapist.

Nothing over the counter did anything for me. I had some steroids V briefly to reduce inflammation (it was really bad, this is quite rare to be given I think) and then azithromycin 3 times a week for six months.

Also ivermectin cream from doctor.

Has been problem free for nearly two years but a single big bump has come up this week which i suspect is down to pre-exam stress....Or surprise at seeing the sun again last week.

I haven't found any dietary changes made much of a difference. I use cetaphil cleanser as recommended by the dermatologist, some pure moringa oil, a bit of avene anti redness day moisturiser and loads of anthelios factor 50 suncream.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: