Does anyone drink Turmeric?

(76 Posts)
SundaySimmons Sun 22-Sep-13 08:55:04

I have read lots of great things about drinking turmeric, how great it is for the skin.

I have read about taking a pinch if it in a glass of water three times a day or in a glass of warm milk.

It sounds revolting!

Anyone drink it or try it?

Off to work now, will bump later if no replies!!!

crescentmoon Sun 22-Sep-13 09:00:25

can you link to something? iv been told about turmeric in face masks and watched a few youtube vids about that. but its so messy and staining id rather drink it if there is something worthwhile in it!

RavenVonChaos Sun 22-Sep-13 09:11:25

Has great medicinal properties and sometimes can alleviate eczema.

MooMinCow Sun 22-Sep-13 09:26:20

Haven't heard of drinking it for skin benefits. Normally it's taken internally in milk or mixed with a spoon of honey for coughs/colds.

Topically applied it has antiseptic/antibacterial properties. In India they believe it lightens and evens out pigmentation. Brides are smeared liberally with the stuff a few days before the wedding (and it doesn't make you yellow wink)

My mum used to make me a DIY mask with it. Mix a paste of turmeric with milk or yogurt, apply to face, let it dry then wash/scrub off with old flannel (it will stain cloth). Stank but left me with smooth even skin.

MaeMobley Sun 22-Sep-13 09:28:18

I take it in capsule form. It is supposed to be good for your skin.

Roshbegosh Sun 22-Sep-13 09:30:17

I remember something about it being good for circulation.

Numberlock Sun 22-Sep-13 09:31:30

Funnily enough a colleague mentioned this last week as being useful in the prevention of dementia.

I will have to google.

Sleepwhenidie Sun 22-Sep-13 09:33:28

A girl I used to know, who was Indian, recommended it when I had a bad throat and cough, I never tried it though....

Numberlock Sun 22-Sep-13 09:33:38

www.bodyandsoul.com.au/nutrition/nutrition+tips/why+you+should+eat+turmeric,8123

MooMinCow Sun 22-Sep-13 09:52:41

There's been research too about turmeric and preventing cancer (bowel cancer especially). Bowel cancer seems to be rare in countries like India where turmeric is eaten daily.

justasecond Sun 22-Sep-13 10:19:21

Its really good for all the things mentioned esp for a cough when you take half a tsp in a cup of warm milk last thing before bed. I also took a lot of turmeric in warm milk after I had dc3 I am convinced it was the reason I lost the weight so quickly.

SundaySimmons Sat 28-Sep-13 08:41:03

Ok, I bought some yesterday and then forgot to use it last night!

I can't get my head around putting a spice in milk or water as a drink and feel I will spit it straight out!

My problem is (gross) that out of the blue I started getting blind spots under my armpits. Horrible lumps that are painful. Some can be squeezed (yuck) but others do not come to a head and they hurt!

Originally I thought it was the deodorant causing this as I noticed that many if the formulas are now labelled as 48 hours not 24. So I don't used 48 hour ones and the spots are a lot better. But I am still getting a few.

I have started moisturising under my armpits and that has helped as well but I want rid of the spots altogether. I get a couple and they take ages to go away an then I get a day or two with none and then a couple pop up again!

I don't perspire much and am not overweight and can't pinpoint why this has started happening out of the blue, having gone years with never having a single spot under my arms. I have gone through a traumatic relationship spit up this year but that is now behind me, so I can't see stress being the reason.

So I am going to have a to with the turmeric even if it makes me heave!

If anyone else wants to start taking it if they have a similar problem then it would be interesting to compare results.

I will update thread on my findings and hopefully it will be a cure.

Turmeric can also be applied as a paste but apparently it does stain skin and clothing so I think I will leave this.

foxysocks Sat 28-Sep-13 09:44:02

yes I drink it in hot water and lemon after yoga every morning. sometimes add a tiny pinch of cayenne too. I love it and started doing it in india. the heath benefits are numerous and include reduced inflammation in the joints.

GatoradeMeBitch Sat 28-Sep-13 10:06:58

It's very, very good for health. I read that it removes up to 75% of free radicals. www.chrisbeatcancer.com/four-cancer-fighting-spices/

I take it in capsules, these are really good www.naturesbest.co.uk/turmeric-tablets-10000mg-p135/

viperslast Sat 28-Sep-13 10:12:23

A lot of people use it for arthritis in horses and dogs (I suppose for people too but I don't know anyone personally) it is a very good spice for all sorts!

Paperdolly Mon 17-Oct-16 19:00:37

Make the Golden Paste; GP and you can store it in the fridge for 2 weeks or even freeze it in 1/4 tsp amounts. I've JUST made the paste for the very first time!

LazySusan11 Mon 17-Oct-16 21:23:23

I do! I have a tsp of turmeric mixes in with rice milk and cinnamon. It's my bedtime drink really warming.

takesnoprisoners Mon 17-Oct-16 22:04:43

Try it in warm milk. It dissolves better and you dont taste it as much.

BWatchWatcher Mon 17-Oct-16 22:23:49

I had an Indian friend who said applied as a face mask it was good for acne.
Probably fine if you're Indian, but it made me smile beware

PerpetualStudent Mon 17-Oct-16 22:28:12

I put some in a smoothie with coconut milk, banana, cinnamon & fresh ginger this weekend - scrummy!

takesnoprisoners Tue 18-Oct-16 09:50:36

I put it on my face as well and I turned yellow for weeks! It just did not wash off. My Indian friend's face did not turn yellow and I ended up looking like a bloody lemon. hmm

RockinHippy Tue 18-Oct-16 10:48:31

You need to google "Golden Milk" there you will find videos for a a recipe to make a warm drink containing ... Turmeric, Black Pepper, Honey, Coconut Oil & Almond, or other non dairyMilk

these ingredients work together & yes it works, though its for health benefits, such as pain killer, helps gastric problems & much more

RockinHippy Tue 18-Oct-16 10:50:36

Oh & golden milk tastes lovely, especially as a bed time drink, I used to give it to DD & it was the only thing that helped her stomach trouble

Whatabloodyidiot1 Tue 18-Oct-16 10:56:20

Use the fresh stuff (haldi in Asian supermarkets) grate it into warm milk, add honey and a grind of black pepper to aid it's absorption and drink. It doesn't really taste of anything, it certainly isn't strong or spicy.

Morsecode Tue 18-Oct-16 11:26:16

Steeping fresh turmeric stops a cold in its tracks - it is antiseptic and anti-inflammatory. The dry powder form does not help much with colds I don't think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now