Talk

Advanced search

What's the best not-too-expensive hypoallergenic mascara?

(13 Posts)
ChinUpChestOut Fri 13-Sep-13 07:33:05

After years of wearing contact lenses, I've become prone to getting eye infections when I wear mascara. I can tint my eyelashes no problem, but I really miss that more bulked-out look that mascara gives.

I've tried using a cheaper mascara and replacing it often - every two weeks, but it still leaves my eyes a little itchy. I don't really want to pay a lot for a mascara, but I don't know any cheaper hypoallergenic brands. Does anyone have any experience of eye infections, and mascaras to either avoid, or ones you have found worked best?

Buzzardbird Fri 13-Sep-13 13:26:17

I have tried the cheap Boots one, but it was rubbish. I have settled on a Clinique one, which was £16 with 10% off on promotion and it is a fantastic mascara. I won't bother with the cheap ones again.

ChinUpChestOut Fri 13-Sep-13 14:03:04

That's the mascara that I'm currently using, and it is awful! The No 7 one in a gold tube? Seems to make my eyes a little itchy, and it's really difficult to remove. Think I'll try your suggestion - I really can't see much alternative.

Sophiedotty Fri 13-Sep-13 15:02:01

Bourjous do a sensitive mascara. Or try Clinique.

VillaVillekulla Fri 13-Sep-13 15:32:53

I have this problem too. So much so that I've pretty much given up wearing contacts. I also like Clinique (Naturally Glossy mascara) and Maybelline mascara is the only cheapo one that hasn't given me bother. I've tried lots of different Maybelline ones and they've all been fine.

VillaVillekulla Fri 13-Sep-13 15:33:11

That Bourjois one didn't work for sadly.

plummyjam Fri 13-Sep-13 16:09:29

It's not cheap but I have always used Clinique lash curling mascara. It stays on really well, doesn't run or give you gloop in the corner of your eyes. I think it costs about £15 but lasts for ages.

lurkingaround Fri 13-Sep-13 20:45:25

Try the La Roche Posay one. They are kings of sensitive skin care.
I use their waterproof all the time. Ne'er a bother with it.

Vibbe Fri 13-Sep-13 21:09:16

La Roche-Posay's mascaras are good.

CoverGirl are also supposed to have some, but I haven't tried them myself. And the Maybelline pink and green one.

My friend only wears Clinique - I really like the high lengths mascara.

I've always been told that brown mascaras are better for sensitive eyes than black mascaras due to nickel in the black mascaras.

Buzzardbird Sun 15-Sep-13 07:42:51

Nickel? Blimey, that explains a lot!

AgathaF Sun 15-Sep-13 08:03:05

Clinique, but not the one with the plastic wand. My favourite is the one in the black tube with the silver lid.

Phaedra11 Sun 15-Sep-13 09:21:59

I have the same problem and get on best with Clinique and Max Factor mascara. My current favourite is Max Factor's Clump Defy which I prefer to any of Clinique's and it's cheaper.

I do tend to buy brown mascara though and hadn't realised that might make a difference.

Lianneamanda82 Mon 29-Dec-14 22:36:49

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now