Posh shorts for a winter wedding - where do I start?

(50 Posts)
babysaurus Mon 02-Sep-13 18:55:52

Pretty informal friends wedding in mid November, registry office then pub. Thought some smart shorts with a loose-ish top with either a boat or cowl neck would work. Am a size 16 with reasonable legs but unfortunately an apple shape. Where would be good to start looking, feel a bit out of touch!

BackforGood Mon 02-Sep-13 19:01:31

Shorts in November ??? Where are you, the Carribean ?

Personally, I can't put 'shorts' and 'wedding' in the same sentence (well, I can literally, but you know what I mean wink), however informal it is said to be.

babysaurus Mon 02-Sep-13 19:05:58

Smart shorts with tights, think Toast have done similar in the past but I can't quite stretch to £90ish a pair!

LaurieFairyCake Mon 02-Sep-13 19:07:47

I'm fatter than you and I don't think shorts on an apple shape are a good look for a wedding (just in case you thought it was just cos you're a 16 grin)

Shorts are hard enough to wear when you're chubby - never mind trying to do them glam enough for an (informal) wedding.

Onesleeptillwembley Mon 02-Sep-13 19:10:12

Not shorts for a wedding! No! Really, no, you just cant wear shorts to s wedding. Not even a size 8 teenage model should be doing that. And not on a 16 apple shape (that's almost me, btw).

babysaurus Mon 02-Sep-13 19:10:20

Thanks but I was actually asking if anyone knew of anywhere that would be good to start looking in.

The bride is wearing jeans. With a nice top, I imagine, but jeans all the same.

SundaySimmons Mon 02-Sep-13 19:12:04

Another no to the shorts.

All I get is an image of culottes. And that isn't good.

Kezztrel Mon 02-Sep-13 19:21:58

There are lots of smarter shorts around right now. Topshop have some moth print ones which I adore. Start with Asos though, they have a good range of high to low end brands so you can get an idea of what's out there. Lots of culottes around atm! I like the idea of brocade type ones, smart tailored material but not too smart for the type of wedding it is. Again have seen these in Topshop.

AmberNectarine Mon 02-Sep-13 19:23:32

The only person who can rock shorts at a wedding.

babysaurus Mon 02-Sep-13 19:24:34

Thanks Kezztrel!
I had a peek in topshop today but it was only a small branch so not much choice. Will get Googling!

Onesleeptillwembley Mon 02-Sep-13 19:25:01

Sorry, I think the junkie looks awful, and inappropriate.

sassytheFIRST Mon 02-Sep-13 19:25:59

To the naysayers, I've done shorts for a summer wedding - black shorts, jade green cropped jacket, cream top and heels - looked great! Need great pins and lots of confidence tho grin

Monsoon might be a good place to start. Or some of the cheaper labels that tend to be in dept stores - kaliko etc.

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 02-Sep-13 19:26:08

I just think you're looking a bit too early. Lots of winter shorts will hit the shops soon.

LillyNotOfTheValley Mon 02-Sep-13 19:27:50

Well perhaps high waist shorts would do with a nice round collar blouse tucked inside them and a brightly colored belt to create a nice waistline (and matching shoes/clutch bag)?

I kind of like those two: www.reiss.com/eu/womens/shorts/

PharaohHound Mon 02-Sep-13 19:33:08

Jilly Cooper fans...

Didn't Daisy Mcloed wear velvet Knickerbockers to Rupert and Taggie's wedding? shorts, knickerbockers, same difference...

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 02-Sep-13 19:37:21

She did and with them a jacket with roses on it. Drew 'blewed' some money on her outfit.

babysaurus Mon 02-Sep-13 19:41:06

Thanks Sassy, I don't think its bizarre at all and glad to see I'm not the only

babysaurus Mon 02-Sep-13 19:45:17

The grey silk Reiss ones are along the right lines, I reckon

AmberNectarine Mon 02-Sep-13 19:46:11

Seriously though OP, I think shorts could look great - maybe a sparkly top though? Bit of beading?

babysaurus Mon 02-Sep-13 19:47:00

If it wasn't for the price...

babysaurus Mon 02-Sep-13 19:48:02

Thanks Amber, that's why I'm looking now!

TSSDNCOP Mon 02-Sep-13 19:48:16

My initial thought was FC or Ted, but neither came up trumps.

I like the Reiss ones though.

babysaurus Mon 02-Sep-13 19:49:47

Just seen the Kate Moss link - if only!

LadyMilfordHaven Mon 02-Sep-13 19:49:56

NO NO NO

and i love shorts

trixymalixy Mon 02-Sep-13 19:50:50

these?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now