Talk

Advanced search

How much on average do you spend on your everyday handbags?

(315 Posts)
Bumblequeen Sat 03-Aug-13 13:03:59

I tend to buy non leather handbags for £30-£40. Now in my late 30's I would rather invest in leather bags that look better and last longer.

I have a friend who only wears designer bags and they always look so classy. She has at least 15 though.

bunnymother Sat 05-Oct-13 06:39:37

This last post read like an ad. I have reported it.

scarlet76 Sat 05-Oct-13 07:11:17

I'm in austerity measures at present ;-)
I've bought 2 bags this Autumn: A boden leather satchel type bag which I got with stacked discount codes for around £50 and a Cath Kidston bird print oil cloth bag that has handles and a longer across body strap. Also around £50. I often lust after Mulberry but reviews on here put me off which is just as well being as I'm on a spending ban!!

bunnymother Sat 05-Oct-13 08:18:57

Last night, I bought a coated canvas bag from a souvenir/china shop on Regent St. It was from the V&A (think "winter floral" print) and was reduced to £10. It will be used for snacks / other crap the DCs cart about and will hang off the pram, but I think my transformation into daggy, stingy mummy is almost complete. Dear, dear me.

user1496846427 Wed 07-Jun-17 19:14:18

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

RhythmAndStealth Thu 08-Jun-17 02:53:00

Usually spend £100-£200, although DH got me one for my 40th that was £250. Usually buy one a year.

Like Beaumont Organic and Pikolinos for quality. 40th present was out of a little shop, shop owner said the bag was made by a lady in Brighton.

seoulsurvivor Thu 08-Jun-17 03:26:27

I would spend more but I worry that the quality would be crap and it wouldn't last and I'd regret it. I'd have to be earning shitloads to consider spending more than about 200 pounds.

As it is, I spend about 60, maybe. And even that, I find extortionate.

I do worry about money a lot as I have been skint in the past and the economy is so shit all the time. I can't justify spending lots on a bag, though I sometimes wish I could just spend without worrying.

rocketman3 Thu 08-Jun-17 08:28:23

i used to buy very expensive bags and put a lot of time and effort into being a bag fan 🙄. 800-1000 was normal, i also resold them.

fortunately i have better things to do now! i've got a 75 backpack, a few jigsaw bits, and my most frequently used - a bag for life!

Spice22 Thu 08-Jun-17 11:37:20

fortunately i have better things to do now! I think that's a very rude comment.

Most expensive I've been gifted (by parents) is £1,100
Most expensive I've currently purchased for myself is £400
Most expensive I plan to purchase for myself before 2017 ends is £2,500
Average = £1,333

user1473602935 Thu 08-Jun-17 13:03:32

Up to £300 but then use it every day for next 7 years!

dangerrabbit Thu 08-Jun-17 19:53:53

I have an Agnes B bag for everyday use which cost £225. Many would find this excessive but some spend much more. It's the most I've ever spent on a bag and it's lasted me about 3 seasons so far with very little wear. If I could afford it I would love a Hermes bag but £250 for a bag would be the furthest I could possibly stretch as I am on an average income. I like spending more on good quality clothes which last a long time. I enjoy the designer handbag thread would would be worried about breaking or being mugged with a very expensive bag if I was lucky enough to own one. Like some of the people on this thread, a friend spent £2000 on a handbag and the strap broke work within the first few wears and they refused to replace it! I have spent more on shoes and once spent £400 on a pair of shoes as shoes are my thing, although really I would prefer to spend £100-£300 on shoes.

Unicorn81 Fri 09-Jun-17 09:38:24

Id go up to 150. Buy from fossil or coach outlet. Fossil bags are my fav and never wear out

BoredOnMatLeave Fri 09-Jun-17 10:01:57

I usually have a budget of under £250 but at the moment I just use the changing bag. I think everyday bags are worth investing in but don't have the budget for Mulberry etc.

hellokittymania Fri 09-Jun-17 10:15:09

I love pink and other such colors, the last bag I bought was at a charity shop and I think it was around 4 pounds. I have bought a few bags from Claire's, backpacks and things and a few others online.

I have also found some really nice backpacks at popular book shop in Singapore, so spend anywhere from 4 pounds to around 70 pounds 80 pounds. Some of the bags in Singapore are over $100, but they last for a long time and I love to carry books around.

CatsAndCandles Fri 09-Jun-17 10:20:59

My everyday bag is an Animal, cross-shoulder bag I got from a charity shop for £2.50. It was brand new and is just perfect. I also have a fabulous, faux suede, shoulder bag with tassels which was about £8 online. These probably sum me up.

Pandamanda3 Fri 09-Jun-17 10:54:53

I always used to save and buy a mulberry I loved the quality and designs. Then I started my own business selling them as I loveeeee handbags,
Im not advertising before anybody flames me im just wanting to add that iv spent a lot of time researching the market and how they are made etc.. Iv visited with my supplier the factory in Italy which was an amazing experience seeing how it is all made from start to finish
as Its important for me personally to know eithcally how my items are made etc.. And by whom.
It was a complete eye opener to find that it's more often than not the leather used on say the cheaper brands is no different to the leather used on more expensive bags, often the designs are very similar too.
The buyer just labels their own and then they have there own rrp depending on how well they have marketed their brand it's not so much about the actual quality of the leather.
So a lot of the expensive bags are in fact no different to the cheaper ones as they come out of the same factory.
Something to think about next time you buy! 😉
The mark up is eye watering, since learning what I have and understanding the types of leather available I am much more conscious of what I am buying and look at the leather not the brand label.
Of course if you've fallen in love with a design then that's it your hooked but if you've not and your just looking for good quality as apposed to a specific brand then Id say do your research, as the cheaper none brand specific ones can often give your expensive brands a run for there money quality wise.

I am a handbag addict though and if I won the lotto Id spend every penny on bags and shoes no matter what the price was 😊

Happy shopping ladies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now