Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Is there any way a 34 year old chucky of thigh can wear this

(44 Posts)
shelldockley Fri 02-Aug-13 10:22:46

I tried this on weeks ago in New look and I'm still thinking about it, I just think it's so cute! But it's v v short and my thighs are not great. They are getting better with lots of cross trainering at the gym, but not good enough and still cellulity. I know there is no way I can ever wear it, but I thought I'd get opinions just incase you can think of some miracle way to overcome the thunder thigh problem...

shelldockley Fri 02-Aug-13 10:24:16

<chunky> not chucky!

mirai Fri 02-Aug-13 10:25:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

throughgrittedteeth Fri 02-Aug-13 10:25:48

Oh I think it's lovely! How did you feel when you tried it on?

shelldockley Fri 02-Aug-13 10:30:11

I loved it, but I did feel like I was dressing up as one of Little Mix, and also my eyes kept gravitating to the thighs.

I would normally wear tights mirai, but I didn't think they'd look right with that style of dress iyswim? It's really for a casual skinny legged teen worn with bare legs and converse isn't it?

shelldockley Fri 02-Aug-13 10:31:08

I'm 5'3 but I think the volume of the skirt empahises the shortness, it only seemed to skim my bum!

Twirlyhot Fri 02-Aug-13 10:34:37

It's very young. I think you'd have to be under 25 to get away with it.

Whoknowswhocares Fri 02-Aug-13 10:39:21

I don't think it would be a good look on anyone without very thin, shapely legs regardless of age.
Sorry, that isn't what you wanted to hear, is it?

shelldockley Fri 02-Aug-13 10:39:40

It's cute though isn't it! I wish that kind of thing was around when I was a skinny teen!

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Fri 02-Aug-13 10:40:05

I don't think so, sorry. It's the sort of thing I wore when I was about 21 and super-skinny.

holidaysarenice Fri 02-Aug-13 10:43:15

Bloody go for it! Its not that short.

Don't let anyone make you mumsy.

Wear it and enjoy wearing it.

If needs be stick on some tights!

Branleuse Fri 02-Aug-13 10:44:36

id wear it with some sort of shorts underneath

shelldockley Fri 02-Aug-13 10:45:09

Ha ha, I might be tempted holiday but I can't think where I'd wear it!

shelldockley Fri 02-Aug-13 10:45:46

Ooh, what kind of shorts Branleuse?

LeGavrOrf Fri 02-Aug-13 10:45:54

I think it is a bit young, I am 35 and slim and wouldn't wear it.

CoralQueen Fri 02-Aug-13 10:50:06

Personally, I wouldn't wear it. There is hardly any back to it and it looks too short. I don't see this would suit anyone to be honest, skinny or chunky!

I also have big thighs so I try and find things that go down to the gap in between my legs so it appears they aren't that bad or I wear black tights to give the illusion of small legs. I think you could find something more flattering for your figure smile

shelldockley Fri 02-Aug-13 10:52:10

It needs to be worn with a t'shirt really, that's how I tried it on so the back wasn't a problem. Has anyone seen anything similar, but not as short?

HoikyPoiky Fri 02-Aug-13 10:54:59

As another chunky of thigh person I often find shorter skirts and dresses look better than longer ones. It not my imagination, honest!
It does look a bit 'young' but its really nice. Can you try it on and take some photos of yourself so that you can see what you look like. If you have a slim waist it may highlight that rather than shortness/chunky'ness of thigh'ness

It looks young because of its style but also because it looks like it is from a store like New Look IYSWIM (lol, I am not saying you have to shop in Per Una confused though)

HorraceTheOtter Fri 02-Aug-13 10:55:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

oscarwilde Fri 02-Aug-13 10:59:04

Sorry Shell, I'm in the it's way too young camp regardless of the state of your thighs. It's a pinafore dress, I think it's even too young for a 21 yr old to wear, I'd put my 3 yr old in it ! [fuddy duddy emoticon]

We can't see your thighs so it's difficult to comment as to whether you have a point. In my experience though wearing anything that makes you feel self conscious is usually a pain. You spend your whole time fussing with it. They have some really nice skater style dresses which have a similar line and might be a little longer?

shelldockley Fri 02-Aug-13 10:59:09

Would it work for winter do you think Horrace?

HoikyPoiky I did take pics, looks good apart from the thighs!

Auntfini Fri 02-Aug-13 11:05:39

I think it's more for a 14 year old. I'm in my 20s and I wouldn't. If you really like it though, there are similar in river island in a lighter denim but longer

snowlie Fri 02-Aug-13 11:09:22

I wouldn't, it's too young and needs a skinny frame.

Bexicles Fri 02-Aug-13 11:32:58

Sorry I'm 35 and a size 8 I'd feel very self conscious in this. It's too teenage.

shelldockley Fri 02-Aug-13 11:50:00

Incidentaly, what knickers would one wear with a skirt like this that is likely to blow up in the wind? I have a couple of other skater type dresses which are longer, but I always feel self concious about possible knicker exposure. Big knickers, boy shorts or spanx cycling short style? Or would a half slip be better?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: