Talk

Advanced search

Lidl perfume - is it an urban myth?

(36 Posts)
treaclesoda Fri 26-Jul-13 16:21:39

I read about the Lidl perfume here on some S&B threads, the two different ones that are meant to smell like two Chanel perfumes but only cost a few £.

This intrigued me so much it has now become something of a joke in my house, with me having to stop the car any time we pass Lidl, so that I can check for it. I have now tried an embarassingly large number of Lidl, including non UK ones, and the closest I came was a shower gel and body lotion gift set in one of them.

Have Lidl made a limited number of these bottles of perfume, just to build up the hype or something? Is the chief exec running a business on the side selling them at a marked up price on ebay? At the rate we're going, they are going to be so sought after that they cost more than the Chanel stuff that they are meant to copy grin

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 26-Jul-13 16:33:22

Which county are you in?

SnapesOnAPlane Fri 26-Jul-13 16:35:14

I have one which I bought waaaay back last year, it really smells like Mademoiselle, though I find it smells a bit soapy.

treaclesoda Fri 26-Jul-13 17:06:52

I'm in Co Antrim. Have conducted my search all over Northern Ireland and about four Lidls in Ireland. You'll probably be relieved to know that I have not travelled this distance specifically in search of cheap perfume, I've just happened to check each Lidl out when I've been in that area.

chanie44 Fri 26-Jul-13 17:17:57

I have a bottle at work and the new girl asked who was wearing Chanel.

My local branch has it, but not all the time. I remember they were selling it at Xmas and valentines day with the body wash.

paulapantsdown Fri 26-Jul-13 17:19:57

Do they just do one or there a particuar one? I wil have a look here tomorrow in West London.

treaclesoda Fri 26-Jul-13 17:35:02

There are two, I think. One that is apparently like Chanel No 5, and one that is like Coco Mademoiselle. Or so I'm told.

chanie44 Fri 26-Jul-13 18:05:53

I've only ever seen the one called suddenly at my lidl in London.

NoelHeadbands Fri 26-Jul-13 18:59:16

I have a 7/8ths full bottle of Suddenly here that you're welcome to have if you'd like?

It's really not nice on me sad

outingmyselfprobably Fri 26-Jul-13 19:04:17

I thought it was Aldi, not Lidl? Pink bottle. Like coco mademoiselle

cocolepew Fri 26-Jul-13 19:04:56

I got the Suddenly one at Lidl in Ards Treacle. The tester smelt a bit like Coco Mademoiselle but the bottle I bought doesn't. I use it as air freshner now blush

happyreindeer Fri 26-Jul-13 19:06:31

I think the one you mean is called Madame glamour. Ok for a quick scoot.

froggiebabies Fri 26-Jul-13 19:06:46

I have both fragrances bought in a Lidl in the south. Suddenly Madame Glamour- the Madamoiselle copy isn't great but the other one - Woman 1 the Chanel No5 copy is great.

I got the Chanel No.5 one around Christmas but haven't seen it since.

BOF Fri 26-Jul-13 19:07:41

Suddenly Madame Glamour is the Lidl Coco Mademoiselle, and Suddenly Woman is their Chanel No.5-a-like. I have yet to spot this rare beast, though I have the Suddenly Madame Glamour. It smells nice enough, but I can't smell it at all after a short while.

InTheRedCorner Fri 26-Jul-13 19:08:52

Glad to see I'm not the only one who uses unwanted perfume as air freshner, I'm using Gucci Envy at the minute.

NoelHeadbands Fri 26-Jul-13 19:09:07

Suddenly Madame Glamour is the one I have

UseHerName Fri 26-Jul-13 19:13:35

I'm in co antrim too - i once picked one up in the Newtownabbey branch but now neither it nor carrick have it....

Zynzong Fri 26-Jul-13 19:16:04

gosh what are they called, must check my local lidl. nowhere near you op so don't worry I won't steal a bottle from under your nose.

I love Gucci Envy! do they still make it though?

Zynzong Fri 26-Jul-13 19:16:56

Aldi will have to up their game!

treaclesoda Sat 27-Jul-13 10:07:04

we have no Aldi here, I get Aldi envy...grin

Wolfcub Sat 27-Jul-13 10:10:45

suddenly does smell a lot like coco mademoiselle but doesn't last as long on thr skin

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 28-Jul-13 13:08:31

Well I've sprayed some on today and I'm underwhelmed if I'm honest.

Smells a bit like Angel on me, and that's not a good thing.

happyreindeer Sun 28-Jul-13 13:13:03

Remember it is only £3.99 or £4.99.

MargeSimpsonzzz Sun 28-Jul-13 13:15:53

Oh Angel is so sweet. It's horrible! coco mademoiselle is still a bit sweet for my tastes. it's 'cut' with grapefruit though. But Angel smells like a teen perfume I think.

Ha ha treaclesoda! Aldi Envy. Yes I used to get that too, until one opened up near me. The first time I came out with loads of ginger biscuits and sewing kits and sports bras. I can get round it now and come out with real food!

CointreauVersial Sun 28-Jul-13 23:19:04

Blimey, Intheredcorner, Gucci Envy is discontinued, but has a cult following and sells for £££ on eBay. That's some expensive air freshener.grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now