Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Tell me about Seasalt...

(41 Posts)
googietheegg Thu 18-Jul-13 20:27:06

Since being on MN I am no longer able to make up my own mind.

Is Seasalt a) stylish wear for funky mums that love Cornwall, work in the meeeja and have children called Tolly or b) sad waterproof shit for people that can't afford actual Boden or c) something else entirely.

Janek Thu 18-Jul-13 20:44:27

I like it. I have a pretty skirt and a lovely flowery waterproof jacket. Sometimes i wear them at the same time for pattern overload. I neither work in the media, nor have a dd called tolly. I am no longer sad and waterproof thanks to my lovely new mac. Previously i was horribly waterproof just to keep the chill off once it was too warm for my winter coat. But now i look lovely. So there.

ChablisLover Thu 18-Jul-13 21:04:03

I think the quality is better than boden.

The Bretons are fabby and I have 2 coats and I can't fault them.

Get loads of lovely comments when I wear them

LaTrucha Thu 18-Jul-13 21:06:25

I find it very mixed. I have two pretty cotton printed skirts that are perfect with a white tshirt for hot sunny days off. On theback of that, I bought a pink tshirt which, while I like it in principle, and talk to it, telling it it's a casual tshirst for wearing with jeans while looking after the kids, I actually hate with a passion because I feel unutterably mumsy in it.

I think their raincoats are really nice. BUT. Only a middle class, middle aged woman would ever wear one and I am not one of those, oh no. No fear. No printed raincoats for me. [shuffles off muttering]

LaTrucha Thu 18-Jul-13 21:07:24

sorry janek blush

ubik Thu 18-Jul-13 21:11:31

I have always body-swerved the mumsy boden/white stuff/joules stuff but I picked up some Seasalt T shirts and a dress for holiday and the quality is good, cotton isnice and soft and it seems to suit me. I do quite like it.

I think it's great fir casual/holiday wear

thewhitequeen Thu 18-Jul-13 21:58:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PoppyWearer Thu 18-Jul-13 22:03:18

The quality is excellent. I picked up a shed load of their stuff for me and the DCs (their children's range is no more) at the end of last summer for vvvvvvvv cheap prices, and it was all excellent stuff. Not cutting-edge fashion, sure, but longer-length tops and nice thick cotton, has all washed and worn well.

I wouldn't pay their normal prices for it though, and the latest sale didn't tempt me!

mewkins Thu 18-Jul-13 22:18:04

I like some of their stuff (they used to do lovely kids stuff but stopped doing it now) - nice cotton camisoles, etc. Like anywhere pick and choose. Also wait for sale as I think it's pretty expensive at full price for ordinary casual things.

ubik Thu 18-Jul-13 22:22:26

There's loads of sale stuff on the website right now

missbopeep Thu 18-Jul-13 22:22:33

In one word, dire.

I don't know who their demography is, but suspect it's country bumpkins who want a 'naice' summer dress down to mid calf. Yuck.

Confuseddd Thu 18-Jul-13 22:24:20

Oh, it's a shame they stopped doing kids stuff

RussiansOnTheSpree Thu 18-Jul-13 22:29:29

They were still doing kids stuff a few weeks ago.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 18-Jul-13 22:32:06

I have a nice tshirt and a nice heavyweight Breton top. I ordered another standard Breton top and thought the quality of that was shite, really thin, cheap cotton. Cost £35 and I've seen better quality for £6 in primark. Itold them that when I returned it.

PoppyWearer Thu 18-Jul-13 22:39:23

They stopped kids stuff online last year I believe. Possibly still in stores?

JennySense Thu 18-Jul-13 22:49:41

I think they're also quite an ethical brand?

RussiansOnTheSpree Thu 18-Jul-13 22:51:27

I've shopped with them frm the days they only had one shop. I remember when it opened. I love them. I don't care if missbopeep thinks I'm a country bumpkin.

CheckpointCharlie Thu 18-Jul-13 22:51:36

Never heard of it but it looks lovely, you might have found them a new customer!

furbaby Thu 18-Jul-13 22:53:10

Love the handiband scarfs .... have 6 and need more smile

googietheegg Fri 19-Jul-13 02:46:49

Interesting. Very interesting. Maybe I should dip my toe in the Seasalt situ with one little something from the sale then. Although mumsyness is obvs to be avoided.

And handibands?!? Don't they make you look like a greasy biker? How do you wear it?

ItsNotATest Fri 19-Jul-13 03:14:35

Hmm. I have one T shirt from them. To be honest, I think it's all a bit middle-aged. And even though I am, I generally try not to advertise it smile

I imagine it would fit in very well at the gate of a naice middle class school. Whether or not that is a good thing is just personal preference, I'm in the no camp so feel free to ignore me.

furbaby Fri 19-Jul-13 06:18:16

Sorry handybands not handibands blush
Not greasy biker at all , mind you I only wear mine around neck and not on head ,
They are very well made , lovely and stretchy and wash well ,
Great for this weather as absord sweat and keep the sun off your neck .
Sea salt often do free postage and packing on certain weekends so I wait till then and add to my collection smile

LaTrucha Fri 19-Jul-13 07:36:17

I think this is pretty broderie top

poppy1973 Fri 19-Jul-13 07:37:50

I love the look of Seasalt items and have the catalogue sent to me sometimes, but the items are too pricey for me. So I just look for inspiration - then head off to my local charity shop and pick up similar items for myself. If I had the budget then yes I would purchase loads of Seasalt clothing - it looks fab!! and nicer in my opinion than Boden etc.

2madboys Fri 19-Jul-13 07:39:32

Never had their clothes but their mini jute bags are great for taking my sandwiches to work and I'm currently using one of the big ones as a beach bag on our hols smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: