Talk

Advanced search

natural red hair not looking very natural

(14 Posts)
JustLikeHeaven Sat 13-Jul-13 20:02:07

so yet again I come back from the hair dressers heavy of heart and light of pocket.

I have naturally red hair and as I get older it has become duller in tone. It used to be very vibrant. I explained in detail the colour I would like and showed some pictures and also the colour I don't want.

And still. . . I have nearly brown kinda dark plum coloured hair. I want Florence and the machine or Christina Hendrick. . whatever her name is. . . vibrant copper coloured hair. its a semi permanent colour so
it will wash out soon enough.

I did tell the hairdresser, who was a lovely girl. that it wasn't what I wanted and she was willing to change it but I just didn't have the time.

can anyone out there suggest a home colour I can buy in boots or elsewhere. thank you.

tethersend Sat 13-Jul-13 20:26:24

Oh Christ, are you me?

Having exactly the same problem.

Don't bother with stuff from boots, it's shit. The closest I found was nice n easy 108, but it's still too dull.

I'm going to try a new hairdresser.

Will watch with interest in the meantime.

JustLikeHeaven Sat 13-Jul-13 20:31:52

this is my fourth hair dresser this year. . gave them all more than one chance. I am in Dublin and a cut and colour was 80euro. I have paid twice that for equally shitty results.

maybe there is a better range of colours with permanent colour. . Could that be it. ?

I don't even look like a red head now. . . And it is . . Or was. . . the one part of my physical being that I like at the moment. So annoying

KateBeckett Sat 13-Jul-13 20:34:57

Lush caca rouge henna has given me the best bright copper colour I've managed to find, but it's a bit of a faff to do...

JustLikeHeaven Sat 13-Jul-13 21:37:45

hi Kate . . tell us more. how faffy is it? henna scares me a little.

JustLikeHeaven Sat 13-Jul-13 21:54:25

had a look and not sure henna is for me. some people get beautiful results but some are bright orange.

anyone have any other suggestions. thank you

RandomMess Sat 13-Jul-13 21:56:48

Could you do a henna stand test?

I used body shop henna as a teen it was very close to my natural colour and it never did fade...

RandomMess Sat 13-Jul-13 21:57:02

strand test - oops

babybarrister Sat 13-Jul-13 21:59:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HaveAGoodDay Sat 13-Jul-13 22:49:04

The only home colour I know that got me Karen Gillian's gorgeous vibrant auburn colour was Loreal's Feria Intense Mango 74, I got quite a few compliments, even from hairdressers, when I used that shade. This year I'm deciding to be brunette!

Obviously you're best waiting until the colour you've had done at the hairdressers has washed up a bit, annoying I know. Just wash your hair with vosene everyday if you can, funnily enough I've just started using herbal essences shampoo & I swear its fading my colour from my hair! The loreal feria's are quite strong - so give it a week or so after washing, see how your hair is, you might be ready to try the loreal colour. Good luck!

JustLikeHeaven Sun 14-Jul-13 01:00:03

thanks have a good day. might try that

and baby. . which colour do you get in Aveda. thinking they probably tailor to suit you. tks

so annoying. . . I really hate it at the moment. it makes me look so pale . . . even more than usual.

Mintyfrog Sun 14-Jul-13 10:13:44

I'm a natural copper foxy auburn - henna worked for me when I had a dyeing disaster and needed to get back my natural colour. Can't remember which one - but I used a highlight cap. Came out very well, one of my friends also a red head and hennas to cover any grey - I must do it again.
I love the smell when you mix in the coffee smile

YouCanCallMeBetty Sun 14-Jul-13 15:49:04

Nice 'n' Easy Natural Light Auburn works for me - it's quite a bright copper on my naturally red but greying hair. I couldn't find it today so got Natural Warm Auburn instead - hope it's not a disaster.

JustLikeHeaven Sun 14-Jul-13 16:08:06

would it be a bad idea to wash my hair every day for three days and then use something like nice and easy??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now