Talk

Advanced search

Help please with dress shape to disguise a tummy

(6 Posts)
MrsMcGregor Fri 12-Jul-13 10:17:34

Can anyone advise what shape of dress to disguise my tummy - I'm 5'7" and a size 10, small of bust and with a pot belly which I'm finding hard to disguise in a dress. I ordered this but it makes me look about 5 months pregnant so is going back.

Am also trying to cover up white, ultra thin legs with varicose veins so maxi or midi best. Although am saying to heck with it now and ordering shorts from Fat Face for wearing around home as I'm close to melting.

Any suggestions on dress shape please?

Joey8 Fri 12-Jul-13 10:26:47

I have a kind of similar figure - im very small up top. I find dresses which show off my collar bone and top half more are more complimentary in general.

I was going to suggest empire line dresses but that dress looks like one! Maybe you just need to try different styles?

Mabe have a look at this: http://www.sofeminine.co.uk/fashion-trends/what-to-wear-to-flatter-a-rounded-stomach-f11357.html

Have you tried looking at ASOS? They always have lovely stuff!

Hope that helps :-)

Kikithecat Fri 12-Jul-13 14:56:39

I imagine this sort of style would suit you.

iseenodust Fri 12-Jul-13 15:02:08

A below the knee shift dress?

temporary Fri 12-Jul-13 17:19:40

I have a terrible problem with dresses too for the same reasons.
I have to try on loads and loads and loads before I find one half way decent.

I pretty much rule out empire lines, and in my ideal world would have dresses that have some sort of detail that comes down to cover tummy button, some kind of ruffle or fold of material. Some belted dresses can be ok and serve to disguise the pot, but I like to have a bit of overhang of the material at the front so the side angle is not too pronounced.

Do you have to have a dress, could you get a midi skirt and wear with a suitable top? If you have skinny legs, does that mean you have nice slim hips so could wear the stretchy midi length skirts that are about the moment?

FauxFox Sat 13-Jul-13 09:57:35

You need something that has a shape to it, drapey/empire will make you look upduffed. A full skirt is a good idea as it makes your waist look small. How about these:
red
floral
checked
coral

this could also prove skimming/flattering.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now