Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

so I'm daring to throw myself open to the style pundits for a wedding outfit.....

(21 Posts)
TheHonArfy Mon 05-Jun-06 21:18:34

pic of the skirt I bought here today

not a great picture - can also be seen here but you have to go about a quarter of the way down the page and the models are scary....

I am sort of size 16 I suppose (although the skirt is actually a 14 and I think I'm more of an 18 on top because of wobbly belly and fairly large norkage). I have medium high shoes already. Outfit must cover arms. Probably needs to not be too long otherwise will look like a barrel - need to show that I have some semblance of a waist. The other Noa Noa stuff didn't really appeal. Am thinking either pink or pistachio as those are the colours in the skirt and the fascinator thing I have for my hair - will that work? (skirt also has goldy bits in). So what - jacket? top? wrapover?

I need help. I CANNOT wear dark colours to another wedding I MUST WEAR COLOUR but I don't want to look any more huge than I have to.

YellowFeathers Mon 05-Jun-06 21:31:06

I will be a good honest MNetter and say I think the skirt is not very nice

Sorrrryyyyyy!

I was totally expecting to see something not like that

but but but

have a look at these and see what you think...

With a pashmina type thing to go around the arms It will show off your waist line, has a great shape and isn't black!

I know it is black but its very summer looking and covers the tops of the arms. Again good shape.

Just looking for some more...

TheHonArfy Mon 05-Jun-06 21:33:58

oh well
I am rubbish at clothes

really I need all of my arms covered. I am very very pale with red hair, can I still wear dusky pink/pistachio? OR will I look shit whatever I do?

YellowFeathers Mon 05-Jun-06 21:37:40

God no
don't be daft!

Would you consider wearing a pashmina if you wrapped it around your arms or would you prefer something with arms in IYSWIM? and does it have to cover all of the arms or just the tops?

am still looking....

SoupDragon Mon 05-Jun-06 21:40:07

Why must the outfit cover all your arms?

mazzystar Mon 05-Jun-06 21:40:18

I have seen the skirt in real life and the fabric is gorgeous. But i think the style lends itself ot a more casual/simple top - simple jersey type stuff, which might not be formal enough for your wedding.

SoupDragon Mon 05-Jun-06 21:41:02

Easier to go with a jacket or wrap I think.

TheHonArfy Mon 05-Jun-06 21:42:49

my arms are grim and not fit for public display. I have a problem with most of my body really and trying to look smart for a wedding is a bit of a nightmare...

Anyhow, I love the skirt, but I don't think I can team it with anything suitable for a wedding or that actually suits me, and seeing as I am skint and it cost £65, it must go back

I love the idea of all the noa noa stuff, but can't make it suit me.

SoupDragon Mon 05-Jun-06 21:44:12

Ok, you love the skirt so try to work with it for a couple of days before returning it. Take it shopping with you when you go.

Do you live near a John Lewis? If so, go and take advantage of their personal shopper service.

YellowFeathers Mon 05-Jun-06 21:46:19

Oooh!!!

Have a look on Monsoons site. You can't do links for them but go to dresses and then smart dresses.
There is one called Annelia crinkle silk kimono dress. It fits the criteria and I think it would look gorgeous and I haven't even met you!

The Florence wrap dress on the second page is also very nice as is the Camille and Lucile which are on the first page.

All nip in at the waist which will show off your curves and your plentiful norkage

Monsoon

TheHonArfy Mon 05-Jun-06 21:48:53

I could take myself to John Lewis in Kingston - didn't actually realise they did personal shopping. Monsoon often works well for me too.

yes I will reconsider the skirt tomorrow. Feeling far too doomladen this evening after crap weekend to make sensible decisions!
thanks everyone

Norah Mon 05-Jun-06 21:51:09

I love your skirt ! But - think it will be hard to match up - I've done this - tried to build a whole outfit around one thing that I ahve fallen in love with ! It's hard work and I never make it work !

Monsoon is always a good bet - dresses always look nice for weddings too !

Good luck adn don't be disheartened !

YellowFeathers Mon 05-Jun-06 21:53:11

Monsoon are normally very helpful.
I went there to buy my wedding dress and they really helped me out and were honest as I'd only had my dd 2 months previous so was still carrying baby bulge.

Could you take a friend with you at all for honest opinions?

LadyCodofCOdford Mon 05-Jun-06 21:54:29

i like the skirt

TheHonArfy Mon 05-Jun-06 21:54:53

yes I could take my sister even though she is slim

you're right Norah, this has happened to me before - liking one item and then being totally unable to build an outfit. and if that's the case it must go back as my wardrobe is full of such mistakes!

Snafu Mon 05-Jun-06 21:56:14

Skirt is lovely. V. unusual - and in a good way

Hard to match though...and what is with those moggels on the link??

TheHonArfy Mon 05-Jun-06 21:56:56

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Snafu Mon 05-Jun-06 21:58:12

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

gladbag Mon 05-Jun-06 22:05:15

I tried that skirt on last week - it is absolutely beautiful - the photos don't do it justice, but I didn't buy it as I couldn't find a top to match. I agree with mazzystar that it ended up looking best with a simple t-shirt, or a v fine knit short-sleeved cardigan or wrap top, which wasn't going to be smart enough (I'm buying for a wedding). It would look good with a fitted linen wrap around shirt, in cream or pale pink, but I couldn't find one.

Not much help, but just to say I nearly bought it anyway because it was soooo lovely

twinsetandpearls Mon 05-Jun-06 22:39:40

I like the skirt, not sure if I could wear a skirt that straight though.

I would also imagine that the wrap dress which I think is 13th down would suit you.

moondog Mon 05-Jun-06 22:45:03

Don't dig that skirt Arf.
Trouble is,colours like that are just flesh coloured and make one look a bit Mr Blobbyish (irrespective of size),esp. on someone of your colouring,which is not a look you are after,I am sure.

Go for something a bit braver.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: