Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help me find an outfit for an informal wedding - can I wear trousers?

(13 Posts)
gallicgirl Sun 07-Jul-13 09:31:55

I've put weight on over the last year and as a result I'm feeling a bit fat and frumpy - 5'4 and a hefty size 12. I've got a couple of weddings coming up and a budget of maybe £50 so I'm hoping you can find me something lovely to wear.

I'm not expecting either wedding to be particularly formal. the first is a young couple getting married in East London. They have lots of achingly cool hipster friends who always seem to look fabulous in the quirkiest of outfits! The second is DP's best friend- registrar office then reception for 35 in his parents' garden.

I do have some red trousers from Gap which I love and I was thinking maybe a light blouse and a navy jacket to look sort of nautical but then I wondered if that was a bit too casual. I'm struggling to find the right level with dresses but feel free to suggest away.

MortifiedAdams Sun 07-Jul-13 09:35:29

The nautical outfit may work well if you wear heels. Mind, im 5'2 and a size 12 and wouldnt consider that fat/frumpy grin

Dresses - I always think it is better to be over dressed than under dressed, and there are some nice frocks.out there under £50. I will go look.

gallicgirl Sun 07-Jul-13 09:40:50

Oh yes, definitely heels. I have some wedge sandals I plan on wearing - very comfortable and won't sink into the grass.

smile

I know that frumpy is about mental attitiude and confidence and I just don't have it at the moment. I'm usually pretty good at finding something to suit my shape but I really feel like a sack of potatoes at the moment.

gallicgirl Sun 07-Jul-13 09:43:35

I did wonder if something like this would be ok:

www.greatplains.co.uk/product/Woman+Sale+Dresses/J1LL9/Doodle+Flower+Pleated+Dress.htm

but I think I might be better emphasising curves and shape rather than hiding them.

gallicgirl Sun 07-Jul-13 09:47:01

www.gap.co.uk/browse/product.do?cid=96092&vid=1&pid=000331225016

These are the trousers I have. Think I might have to get another pair while they're in the sale!

MortifiedAdams Sun 07-Jul-13 09:48:28

The link doesnt work.

Yes wedges would be ideal really.

What about something like this?

balancingfigure Sun 07-Jul-13 09:55:58

The trousers are really nice (and I might have to get some at that price) but they are really casual for a wedding in my opinion. As mortified says always better to look too smart but of course you know the people best!

I couldn't see the dress link but I would always go for em phasing curves!

gallicgirl Sun 07-Jul-13 09:59:41

Well I was wondering if they were too casual which was why I was asking. No matter how much I dress them up, they will still be red khakis.

Dress is lovely but I think it might just emphasise my lack of waist!
Do you think a v-neck/wrap style might look better?

SoTiredAgain Sun 07-Jul-13 11:17:27

I quite like the wrap dresses here, particularly the oriental birds ones and the dragonfly one.

gallicgirl Sun 07-Jul-13 12:00:31

They're lovely, thank you. I wouldn't have thought of looking at HoF.

smile

MrsLettuce Sun 07-Jul-13 17:04:14

Over budget but lovely.
too dressy?
more fitted needs coloured shoes and bag
black again

gallicgirl Sun 07-Jul-13 20:11:32

Not sure how confident I'd feel in a jumpsuit but it's an option I hadn't considered. I'll try one on in the week and see how it feels. Thanks.

MrsLettuce Sun 07-Jul-13 20:44:40

It's really worht a try IMHO. Wide legged (almost floor length) with heels manages to look effortlessly fresh and stylish but is cool and comfortable. Certainly a frump free look! FOr the rest you'd just need a bangle and a bAG.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now