Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What 'proper' anti-ageing beauty treatment (that isn't botox) do you think is worth it?

(3 Posts)
SuperConfused Mon 17-Jun-13 13:28:44

I'm turning 30 next month, the crapness of my skin is starting to bother me, and I'm considering treating myself with some kind of 'proper' skin treatment. I was wondering if there's anything people rate: a friend recommended IPL photo-rejuvenation, so perhaps something like that.

I'm very pale and freckly, and in the last year or so I just feel my skin has started to look a bit crap: dull complexion, cheeks a bit red. I spent a lot of my early/mid twenties working in Africa, and while I've always applied factor 50 in the morning, I wasn't so great at reapplying and I think there's definitely been an impact. I also have a lot of stomach problems, and am having tests for thyroid problems/PCOS, so think all that may be an issue as well.

Finally, the thing that annoys me the most, is I've started to get '11s:' those frown lines between your brows. This is because of an eye condition, I've v poor sight in one eye and 20/20 in the other so basically I squint when I read: my dad has the same, (eye condition and scary scary frown lines) and he just looks really angry (and opticians say there's nothing I can do about my sight or the squinting except switch to a job where I don't have to use a computer hmm). Whatever about looking older,I really don't want to look cross all the time.

So I was wondering if people have any suggestions? I have spent quite a bit on skincare, and while some things make a positive difference (eg estee lauder advanced night repair still makes the small '11s' disappear by morning, though they're back by lunchtime!) I would like to do something up a level. I am totally freaked out by the idea of botox though, or any injectibles of things that stay in your skin. I was wondering about going to a dermatologist, but my skin isn't really 'bad' in the sense that I don't particularly break out, and I don't think I look ten years older or anything, so I don't know if they'd take me seriously.

Any ladies who've had a similar quandary or have any recommendations, would love to hear what's worth spending money on.

Keztrel Mon 17-Jun-13 14:40:48

You sound a bit young to go for any of the stronger treatments - I think it would be a bit of a waste of money. If you have a Dermalogica counter near you I'd recommend going and talking to them - they'll have a close look at your skin for free and tell you what you need to do more of (eg exfolating, moisturising etc). You don't need to buy Dermalogica products but it will give you an idea of things to try.

I'm a year older than you and look much fresher after using a gentle exfoliating mask (Elemis Papaya enzyme cream) and a good moisturiser.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 17-Jun-13 16:54:15

Retin A cream.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now