Talk

Advanced search

How to deal with my grey hair?

(4 Posts)
harryhausen Mon 10-Jun-13 13:05:57

I'm 41. Depressingly, my hair is getting really really grey. I am/was naturally an auburn/mid brown.

I've been dying my hair close to my natural colour to get rid of the grey. The problem is, these days the grey is showing through after about 2 weeks! When I do the roots they're naturally lighter than the rest of my hair. I had a chat with a hairdresser friend before who said that the way to go is lighter but I'd have to wait until the brown dye grew out? Is this right? I have long thick hair. It would be a nightmare to let it all grow out and would look awful.

What can I do? I still look young and trendy (ish!) I don't want badger hair but don't to look like my hair is overly dyed dark either. I don't want short hair either.

Passthecake30 Mon 10-Jun-13 20:22:13

Highlights/lowlights on the length to lighten it up? I am a mousy dark blonde and have an all over dark blonde colour and highlights in the t section every 3 months. I have my roots tinted my a hairdresser half way through this, ie at 6 weeks, and at 3 weeks I use root touch up along the parting/ear lobes. Depressing isn't it sad

Shybairns Mon 10-Jun-13 20:27:59

Yeah I'd say high lights would be your best bet too.

Mine's pretty much identical.. mid brown/auburn and now with a grey streak at the parting and if I lift it the new growth seems to be a good 40% grey at least.
I have just had a few (half head) highlights put in.. nothing too bright.. a few light brown, few gold and a couple of fair, and it has broken up the 'line' nicely . It doesn't cover it totally but then it won't unless I block dye every two weeks. I am hoping to gradually lighten and then go glamorous grey (fantasy land possibly!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now