Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Outfit needed for going to court.

(23 Posts)
tortoise Sat 27-May-06 21:23:30

I am going through court to do with custody of ds1 and ds2 and its just been moved up to county court.Before now ive ended up in smart(ish) jeans but i would like to look smarter but not over dressed up iyswim.Im about a 16 (16 stretch jeans too big but 14 tend to be tight).Fat thights! Height 5ft9.Would help if it was from a catalogue where i can pay it off over a few weeks.Can anyone help please?

tortoise Sat 27-May-06 22:05:10

Anyone?

controlfreaky2 Sat 27-May-06 22:09:04

you dont have to dress up for ct. last thing you need is to feel uncomfortable or not like yourself. if you wld feel better why not just trousers / skirt instread of jeans?? good luck btw.

TheMammy Sat 27-May-06 22:22:06

Peacocks have some suits in, navy pinstripe for a few pounds, I think the jacket was £16.. I bought one for an occasion like court and have got a few wears out of it

WelshBoris Sat 27-May-06 22:23:12

Peacocks and primark have lovely stuff if youre on a budget, but please dont spend too much just for one day. As long as you feel comfortable thats all that matters

Good luck

tortoise Sat 27-May-06 22:31:12

It will be more than one day before finishes. cant see me in a suit.lol.
Any where good on-line for skirts(would have to be very long ones!/trousers?

controlfreaky2 Sat 27-May-06 22:36:34

debenhams online is good.... next?
monsoon god for long things usually. good old m and s??

hunkerfrannygreenyharpsincq Sat 27-May-06 22:38:15

littlewoods

(its welshboris by the way)

hunkersnafumunker Sat 27-May-06 22:39:26

oooo you copycat Boris

controlfreaky2 Sat 27-May-06 22:41:06

quiet on here innit? anyone wld think it was sat night and people had better things to do....

tortoise Sat 27-May-06 22:44:59

Will have a look at debenhams and m and s (Never bought from either before!)
Ive looked through my Next catalogue.Always have problems with sizes with them.
Thanks.Keep the ideas coming

Twinkie1 Sat 27-May-06 23:14:44

I wore a suit and a smart shirt - went down well with the judge I think - I have to say everyone was dressed up suited and booted even XH.

You could get a cheap but smart suit from Next Directory or M&S do ones that are cheap and washable and just team a white cotton t shirt underneath - they are only about £4 in M&S!!

Good Luck by the way - its was years ago for me but I still feel nervous when I think about it!!

tortoise Sun 28-May-06 20:40:20

How about this skirt with the belt the model is wearing with it and this in white?

tortoise Sun 28-May-06 21:32:53

Anyone?

tortoise Sun 28-May-06 22:22:22

Please?

controlfreaky2 Sun 28-May-06 22:24:16

skirt is nice. not so keen on cardi thing or on black and white combo. black skirt and plain colured simple v neck jumper?

SSSandy Sun 28-May-06 22:25:28

I'd wear a smart trouser suit, something quite conservative since you want to be taken seriously and a courtroom is the kind of place where people will make a judgement based on your appearance.

However, you don't want to feel like you are in fancy dress. I'd add a flamboyant touch because otherwise it wouldn't be "me" in the trouser suit. In your case, I'd take your usual style and make it a touch more sedate and conservative.

tortoise Sun 28-May-06 22:27:47

Bit unsure on jumpers.Will be on going probably through the summer.

Never warn a trouser suit! Usual style,jeans and top! God this is sooo hard.

Thanks for the advice.

controlfreaky2 Sun 28-May-06 22:35:46

go and try some things on if you can. take objective friend with you if poss. try on some suits and see what you think.... try on a range of things to get some ideas. suit would be good if will need something for more than a day as can wear diff tops / shoes etc with neutral suit and ring the changes... cant really wear same skirt for a week so easily! do you think maybe you understandable anxiety about court is focusing on outfit as more manageable aspect than the issues involved?? are you v anxious?? hope all goes ok

tortoise Sun 28-May-06 22:39:25

Would love to try some clothes on but would have to take dd1 and 2 with me. Lack of friends to help.

you are probably right!Im terrified of going to court.Have been a few times now to the family court but county court sounds more serious. 1st date 9th June.

controlfreaky2 Sun 28-May-06 22:46:10

am family lawyer. county court really not that different from family proceedings court. all cases re children still in private. no one dresses up in wigs etc. so dont stress too much re that aspect. maybe you could go and see the court before 9/06 and that may make you less nervous if you know what to expect?? if you can afford it get a few things from a catalogue and send back what you reject....? or how about borrowing an outfit or two from someone if that's an option??

tortoise Sun 28-May-06 22:49:20

Its a complicated case!Cant drive so visit not really possible.

Have been looking through catalogues-i have quite a few!!

Better get searching again!
Thanks.

controlfreaky2 Sun 28-May-06 23:00:14

good luck.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: