Talk

Advanced search

Getting used to brown hair after years of highlighting! Any tips?

(10 Posts)
Pinkflipflop Tue 28-May-13 20:11:15

I've been getting my long hair highlighted for years and years.

Today I got it coloured quite close to my natural colour which is quite dark brown. I don't look like me but I don't dislike it either!

It just seems very dark!

I've got blue eyes and pale skin, so def not an olive skinned, dark eyed beauty!

Will I get used to it? confused

OatcakeCravings Tue 28-May-13 20:41:02

No!

NotInTheMood Tue 28-May-13 21:15:29

I've gone the other way I've been dying my mousy hair brown and gone back to highlights and I am looking quite blonde can't get used to it. Have to use different makeup too :-/

JennySense Tue 28-May-13 21:32:38

Yes!

YoniOno Tue 28-May-13 22:28:01

I'm sorry for your loss sad grin

Try buying a loads of new makeup, more dramatic will suit you now, a deeper blusher and lippy maybe? And all those lovely deep colours like burgundy will look better. I'm so tempted to return to brown but DH won't let me sad

ZZZenagain Tue 28-May-13 22:31:49

yes, I think so. Does white suit you? If so, wear a white top, it'll bring out your eyes.

HaveToWearHeels Tue 28-May-13 22:38:47

This could be me in a few months, please come back and tell me you love it smile
Have been highlighting my hair for 25 years and have decided to go back brown. I am also fair skinned and blue eyed. Hairdresser has told me she can do it, but if I want to go back to blonde I would have to wait. I am scared lol
Do you feel dowdy, I fear I will ? But then I look at dark haired ladies and think how sophisticated they look confused

Maraki Tue 28-May-13 22:41:47

Hi! I had highlighted hair for 22 years and after a HoC session I went back to my natural brown hair colour. This was 2 months ago and I was in a state of shock. I thought I had a hat on everytime I looked in the mirror!

I now love it! My skin looks clear, my eyes appear bigger and darker and everyone comments how much younger I look.

I do feel that I need to wear a deep or a bright lipstick to balance it all (hot pinks, bright reds). Smokey eyes and nude lips look wrong now. Also, the colour (even the permanent stuff) fades massively in 2-3 weeks because the hair underneath is so processed. So, what you see as 'very dark' will fade a lot affer a couple of weeks.

Give it some time before you decide whether you like it or not.

ivanapoo Tue 28-May-13 22:54:55

I've been going from v pale blonde to light brown. It's weird, I sometimes feel a bit dowdy and look even paler, but some colours look much nicer on me now, my hair looks healthier and natural-look make up looks better on me.

I also save £££

JazzDalek Tue 28-May-13 23:39:29

The colouring you describe (dark hair, blue eyes) was allegedly the favoured colouring of golden-age Hollywood casting agents. Don't know how true that is but it is certainly a very classic and classy sort of look IMO!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now