Talk

Advanced search

What would you wear to a party with a '21 again' theme?!?!?

(16 Posts)
harrietlichman Tue 28-May-13 16:07:02

A good friend of mine is having a party this coming weekend and it is themed as '21 again'. She has elaborated by saying that you can either dress as you did when you were 21, or like a 21 year old of today (!) I was 21 in 1992, and used to wear grungy style clothes - think crushed velvet/ black leggings/DM boot/ my dads jumpers with holes in them etc blush but am more inclined to wear that style of outfit than to go shopping and buy an inappropriate outfit I will never wear again. Then again, I don't want to look like an aged bag-lady if everyone else is dressed like something out of TOWIE! Any suggestions?? What would you wear if you were going to this??

Ujjayi Tue 28-May-13 16:14:33

Not much to add....I dressed the same as you at 21 grin

You could get a cheapie Towie-esque dress from somewhere like H&M?

treaclesoda Tue 28-May-13 16:16:49

If you're going for the 'dressing like when you were 21 yourself' theme, you'll need to drench yourself in whatever perfume was popular in 1992. Eternity or something !

harrietlichman Tue 28-May-13 16:22:17

Poison! I loved the bloody stuff!! Or Anais Anais....Embarrassingly, I still have pretty much the same hair style/colour - though now I don't use Henna to get the same shade of red! I am kind of inclined to go down the grungey route (not sure if my Clarks boots will allow me to pull it off though!)
Would you go 'as you were' or 'as 21 year olds are now' just out of interest? I am just wondering what the rest of the guests will be dressed as...

Ujjayi Tue 28-May-13 16:28:19

I would go grungy. I would feel too mutton doing the Towie look smile

Topshop is always a good source for grunge. I would wear either go with a slip dress with DMs or biker boots (wear opaques too if short); or band tee shirt (New Order, James or Nirvana) with denim shorts, opaques and DMs

OneLittleLady Tue 28-May-13 17:11:46

I also vote for grunge. That said, I dress the same as I did starting from when I was 14. Only thing that's really changed is the price of what I wear. The TOWIE look is done to death IMO

harrietlichman Tue 28-May-13 17:42:10

Thanks all very much for your replies - you have helped alot - I am going to go with the shorts/tights/boots combo...I still have an old Pop Will Eat Itself T-shirt that has seen better days but will do!
I am looking forward to it now I know what to wear - am going to make some friendship band bracelets while I watch telly tonight!

EddieVeddersfoxymop Tue 28-May-13 18:05:57

I was grungey when I was 21....and still am. So I'd go and look exactly the same as I do now......

OneLittleLady Tue 28-May-13 18:07:28

love the name eddie grin

BikeRunSki Tue 28-May-13 18:09:20

I was 21 at the end of 1991 and would wear docs, 501 and a Levellers t shirt. Much like today. I am 21 again - I am 42!

harrietlichman Tue 28-May-13 19:40:09

grin hope I'm not the only one in my grunge with everyone else all faked-tanned and high heeled...!

EddieVeddersfoxymop Tue 28-May-13 20:34:29

Why, thank you onelittlelady. Its a carefully selected one grin

BikeRunSki Tue 28-May-13 22:48:13

Do 21 year olds really dress a la BOWIE these days? The only one I know is grungy!

HackneyCabbage Tue 28-May-13 22:48:55

For what its worth my 21 year old students are mostly going for the early 90s grunge look at the moment, dms, baggy jumpers, leggings and crop tops with cardigans, plaid shirts etc, so either way you've got it nailed.

HackneyCabbage Tue 28-May-13 22:50:07

Cross post bikerunski

treaclesoda Tue 28-May-13 22:52:52

I think, like everyone else, I'd go for the 'when I was 21' look.

I'm late 30s and I think I wore cords, converse and checked shirts a lot, and smelt strongly of CKone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now