Talk

Advanced search

Casual jacket but not denim nor shapeless khaki - any ideas?

(20 Posts)
Takver Tue 28-May-13 15:49:04

I'm looking for a new summer jacket, and failing miserably. Looking in the shops, everything seems to be this sort of long-line khaki which I really don't like. I don't want a denim jacket (unless it is very much not 'denim jacket' style) but some kind of short fitted jacket in cotton. Its to go over t-shirt/skirt/dress kind of summer clothes, just for a bit of extra warmth eg when we go to the pub in the evening.

Any ideas? DD has the perfect jacket (steel grey cotton with a contrast flowered lining) envy but I don't think they make them in my size grin. (FWIW I'm 43 & around a size 8)

MrsLettuce Tue 28-May-13 16:33:16

thsi?
lovely

along totally the wrong lines?

Takver Tue 28-May-13 16:44:59

Mango is a good idea, hadn't thought of them! The dark one, maybe - I'm not really a white kind of person grin

Sonotkylie Tue 28-May-13 16:53:53

Is Mint Velvet worth a look? They always seem to have covetable jackets that are slightly different if a bit 'neutral'

Takver Tue 28-May-13 17:27:45

Never heard of them, will look, thanks!

I bought some lovely clothes in Desigual in Spain very reasonably, but was then a bit shock at the prices on the UK website which are more in ££s than the Spanish price in Euros for the same item. If I'd realised that, I'd have looked at their jackets when I had the chance, too.

Cyb Tue 28-May-13 17:30:17

What about a biker style in something lighter coloured? Will have a look...

Cyb Tue 28-May-13 17:31:02

Actually Uniqlo have soft jersey blazers at the moment, I bought an ivory one, wear it sleeves rolled up a la Miami Vice

cassell Tue 28-May-13 17:31:58

I like the h&m blazer type jackets this for example - is that sort of style any good?

Another vote for a fabric biker. Still looking for the perfect one though.

Nice apart from stupid sleeves

This might be the one for me

Or this, love it

Cyb Tue 28-May-13 17:40:46

I do love a biker

My pleather one from Warehouse last year

browneyedpixie Tue 28-May-13 17:56:07

this is lovely.... runs big though. This is a 8, tbe 6 was a much better fit [[ http://tryingyummymummy.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/next-tie-dye-skinny-jeans-and-quilted.html?m=1 here]]

browneyedpixie Tue 28-May-13 17:56:40

try again!

Takver Tue 28-May-13 18:32:12

The Warehouse one looks pretty cool - shame they dn't have a pic of it open. I struggle with Uniqlo online - love some of their clothes but they're a bit hit & miss, & their website isn't that helpful.

Takver Tue 28-May-13 18:35:41

I really liked the shape of this (and in fact it isn't too pricey either), but they didn't have my size

Takver Tue 28-May-13 20:18:34

I really like this but I have a nasty feeling that I'm an 8 and really can't get away with a 10 in Warehouse sizing, will have to measure & see.

browneyedpixie Tue 28-May-13 20:48:50

warehouse one is nice. smile

CambridgeBlue Tue 28-May-13 21:34:56

I've got that Warehouse one and it is lovely. It's quite fitted so you may get away with a smaller size (I went smaller than I would normally as it gaped at the neck a bit) but if you want to wear much underneath then maybe not.

Takver Tue 28-May-13 21:38:26

Unfortunately they've only got a size up, Cambridgeblue. Most places I can get away with a 10, but Warehouse generally come up big, I think

PenelopePipPop Tue 28-May-13 21:50:42

Bit over-budget?

I had a similar jacket from Comptoir that I bought in the sale for £45 a couple of years ago. Sadly I've now lost weight and it no longer fits but I wore the one I had loads. The cut and fabric made it really handy for being both smart enough for work and casual enough to wear in the evening. I'd guess sizes tend to come up small (a while since I could afford to go in there!) but there is a Comptoir thread atm you could ask on.

Takver Tue 28-May-13 22:13:19

It'll be for casual only as I work in horticulture and don't really have a 'smart' social life . . . but to be fair I could stretch a bit on budget for the perfect jacket as I'd wear it for years (dd assured me that the reason I can't find anything in the shops is because I am so very unfashionable - she tried to improve this by saying that my clothes did look nice on me, they'd just look odd on anyone else grin )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now