Talk

Advanced search

Help! Need a LBD for a hen do!

(10 Posts)

Hi guys,

I'm going on a hen weekend next month and for the 'big night out' I've been told to wear a little black dress - sounds simple enough but I don't own one and I'm struggling to find anything I want to buy.

I don't own a LBD as I'm a pale, pasty skinned redhead and they don't really suit me. I'm 5'4", size 10, distinctly pear shaped (hoooooge thighs compared to my upper half blush) and I don't want to spend more than about £40. The night involves a meal and then (presumably) drinks and dancing in the bride-to-be's hometown. I don't know any of the other hens so can't ask them what they're going to wear, but most of them are sporty types who will probably be all toned and tall and slim (like the b2b!) smile

Can someone help me please? blush

MrsLettuce Tue 28-May-13 14:28:47

thsi? It'd be longer on you of course.

MrsLettuce Tue 28-May-13 14:31:53

this? or must it be plain?

OldBagWantsNewBag Tue 28-May-13 14:37:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LaurieFairyCake Tue 28-May-13 14:41:39

On QVC today there's a fantastic empire jersey black maxi dress for £27

It's www.qvcuk.com search for Annalee and Hope. They had loads of lovely colours and all the models were different sizes and it looked great on all of them.

And you can send it back within 30 days and get a refund if you wear it and don't like it. smile

ComeAlongPond Tue 28-May-13 14:41:53

There's lots on Asos here - they have some nice ones and most aren't very expensive.

HorraceTheOtter Tue 28-May-13 14:47:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I like the Yumi one MrsLettuce, the polka dot one is gorg but too clingy for me sad. I have no idea if the dress has to be plain or not (we have to wear feather boas in various colours too) confused

Thanks Oldbag - I have a body shaper thing by Spanx which helps a little bit but can only wear it with dress at knee length or longer grin, they are pretty good though.

Personally, I'm inclined to go for A-line as I have a small waist (it's just the thighs that need hiding). As far as length goes anything below the knee makes me look short, sleeves I'm happy with or without and happy with most fabrics. Open to ideas! smile

Oh and no maxi dresses I'm afraid Laurie, they just swamp me smile

I did have a look at Asos Comealongpond but they just seem a bit, well, boring. Although I kinda like this one.

Really like the Little Mistress and Oasis ones Horrace, although not sure what I'd do about a bra for the first one confused. Like I say, I'm open to trying most things although whether or not they'd suit me in the flesh is another matter...

It's not that my thighs are huge in the scheme of things, I guess, but they are a lot wider than the rest of me so look out of proportion I guess blush. Think the last time I measured them they were about 20" or so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now