Talk

Advanced search

Help Needed! Awards ceremony

(17 Posts)
Fregola Tue 28-May-13 11:19:22

I'm hoping you can help. I've just found out I am going to an awards ceremony through work next week. It's black-tie and will be predominantly (senior) men.

I need something to wear that is suitable for black tie but is more business women than red carpet.

I'm not great at clothes buying at the best of times but I've put on weight and feel quite self conscious so really need some S&B magic.

I'm 38, 5.7 and a size 16. Most conscious of my big tummy and not keen on exposing my upper arms (but arms are negotiable). Legs are OK from knees down and ample of boobage. I can tend towards the frumpy which I am trying to avoid.

Budget wise, I can probably stretch to around the £150 mark or maybe a tad higher for something perfect.

Throwing it open to suggestions...

What colours do you like? Do you already have shoes and a bag we can work round?

EasterHoliday Tue 28-May-13 11:31:59

is it a glitzy awards show that your company has taken a table at or is it an industry awards like widget maker of the year or somesuch?
would say that the most important thing is to be comfortable and confident in front of colleagues / competitors (these things are GREAT for getting hired at ;-)) and unless you're up for an award, your look is going to be secondary to main event. I'd go for a cocktail dress with heels & clutch rather than full on glitz
sales are all on now so you should get a bargain. Don't have 16 online but you could always try store for this: http://www.coast-stores.com/claudina-dress/sale-dresses/coast/fcp-product/2224812080

Fregola Tue 28-May-13 11:38:58

I do have shoes:

Black patent peep toe with mid stiletto, standard LK Bennett, very comfy (!) and probably the most ideal for confort. No matching bag.

Sliver very high peeptoe (I'm very out of the habit of heals). No matching bag.

Gorgeous floral beige high sandals with matching bag from Reiss about 5 years ago. Wore them to a wedding once - I'm not sure I can cope with them!

Current season Russel and Bromley flat ballets, Navy blue, padded leather and patent toe.

Colour wise - I like black and navy. People say I suit red. I'm not one for pastels as I'm pale (and don't fake tan).

Better to avoid matching bag and shoes too closely anyway, I think.

This with your black shoes and a grey or black clutch?

Fregola Tue 28-May-13 11:51:49

Thanks EasterHoliday I think you have it spot on with the comfort/ confidence thing. I want to look professional and relaxed and I don't want to stand out in terms of my outfit.

It's an industry do. My company has been asked to attend and taken a table which will host business partners. An award is possible, but it's highly unlikely to be me doing the collecting (but may be expected to be in the photo's - gulp!).

I do like that dress, perhaps a bit short, but nice and... reserved!

Fregola Tue 28-May-13 12:04:59

I love Vivienne W Remus (I don't own any), but I'd be worried about the tummy criteria on that one. I'm not sure industrial spanks would have any impact!

Honestly, do try the Viv. The cut is so clever that it does wonders on tits and tummies!

The fact that is sold out even in XXXL is proof of that!

Fregola Tue 28-May-13 13:23:04

Well it's a shame that it's sold out but while looking on other sites for Vivienne it reminded me that I had a dress that I bought last year. I've never worn it because it was a bit big/ a bit too dressy for work.

I've just tried it and it fits and looks good with the heels.

It's Hobbs, black, a thickish material with a satin type finish. Sort of tailored, sits just above the the knee, nice V neck, (short) sleeves and a wrap side tie that creates a nice hourglass shape (hides the tum!).

So, I think I'll stick with that. It's possibly nudging towards boring but fits the comfy/ confidence criteria.

However, I may take the opportunity to get a new handbag (my last new evening one was from Faith!!!) and possibly a necklace to add a bit of colour to the all black ensemble.

Any suggestions? I've no real idea about modern neck wear these days.

EasterHoliday Tue 28-May-13 13:50:43

the Matches sale is on as of today, with free deliveyr. Not sure if they have any, but I really love the DVF clutches with silver twig clasps... they're normally about £100 in the sale...
otherwise - Accessorize!

ivanapoo Tue 28-May-13 13:55:33

I'd probably go with neutral colour statement earrings instead. I think necklaces can look a bit weird with a v neckline.

Fregola Tue 28-May-13 14:54:42

Thanks for the Matches info Easter and the earring tip Ivan.

I don't have my ears pierced any more so never think of earrings. Are clip-on earring acceptable?

ivanapoo Tue 28-May-13 15:48:11

Yes! Look at Kenneth jay lane, or search NAP etc for clip on.

The black dress sounds lovely. You could go for a vintage looking, Gatsby-esque beaded bag or maybe something studded? I agree that necklaces are hard to get right with v necks, so how about a cuff bracelet instead?

sweet

Cuff

Not together though!

trinity0097 Tue 28-May-13 20:25:07

www.curvety.com/dresses-c1/evening-gowns-c2/igigi-by-yuliya-raquel-tarina-evening-gown-in-maroon-p10

Something like this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now