Talk

Advanced search

Anyone regretted a fringe?

(18 Posts)
RollerCola Mon 27-May-13 15:10:16

My hair is currently shoulder
length, wavy/curly and I'm trying to grow it. I like it but it sometimes seems a bit severe for my face so I'm wondering whether to get my fringe cut back.

I used to always have one so I'm not too worried but that was when my hair was much shorter. Will it still look ok with longer hair? Has anyone done it and regretted it? Is there anything I haven't thought of?

Mine is a bit below the shoulder wavy/curly. I had a fringe cut in about 18 months ago and it was fine, but I got bored and grew it out again, however I am about to get it cut in again as I am fed up with it blowing into my face all the time and look severe with it tied back (I wear it up/back a lot more in summer). I think an annual cycle of fringe / no fringe is the way to go to stop me getting bored of my hair. I also like the extra sun protection for my face that a fringe gives, as I have quite a high forehead.

Meant to say it grew out again very quickly, maybe 8 months to get from fringe length to jaw length.

Also meant to say, it is slightly higher maintenance having a fringe (for me anyway). it needs trims in between haircuts and I have to blow dry/straighten mine, whereas the rest of my hair I let dry naturally. The exact length of my fringe seems to matter more now my hair is longer than it did when it was short.

RollerCola Mon 27-May-13 15:35:55

Thanks, yes the maintenance was one of the things that made me grow it out in the first place, but I'm getting it coloured more often now because of grey so I'll just get it trimmed each time I go for a colour (every 6-8 weeks)

I'll probably get a messy one that I can sweep across rather than a blunt one so hopefully it won't matter too much if it gets a bit long between trims.

pumpkinsweetie Mon 27-May-13 15:49:40

Yes, liked it when the weather was nice. But it will not stay in place when windy or raining and quite frankly it got irrating, so i stick clips or a hairband over it as i'm trying grow it out.

Lexiesinclair Mon 27-May-13 15:56:40

My fringe somehow drew attention to my eye bags and made me look even more old and tired than usual. But it grew out pretty quick. smile

valiumredhead Mon 27-May-13 16:28:22

Every time I have a fringe cut in I regret it then grow it out and have another cut in and instantly regret it grin

FannyFifer Mon 27-May-13 16:33:27

I have thin frizzy & curly hair, i usually straighten it, for some unknown reason I thought a fringe was a good plan.
The feckin thing would not stay straight just ended up sweaty and frizzy looking, I had to clip it to the side, was not a good look!

middleagedspread Mon 27-May-13 16:36:38

I'm the same as valium, I have a fringe cut, hate it (looks very middle aged on my chin length bob & high forehead) then spend ages growing it out. I then get persuaded to have a 'change' by the hairdresser & the cycle starts again.

daimbardiva Mon 27-May-13 19:58:25

I ummed and ahhed for ages but then got one cut in 5 years ago and love it. Yes to a messy one that can be swept aside - easier to maintain and goes better w wacy hair.

daimbardiva Mon 27-May-13 19:58:44

Er, wavy!

Eliza22 Mon 27-May-13 20:25:09

Me. It shortened my face.

CointreauVersial Tue 28-May-13 00:50:47

I'm the other way.

I always have a fringe, but a couple of times I've grown it out, then regretted it and had it cut back again. grin

Once a fringe girl, always a fringe girl (and it hides my wrinkly forehead).

Roobot Tue 28-May-13 02:03:22

I had one put in a 3 months ago. I have lots of curly/ wavy/frizzy hair, and I had a good old thinning out and a fringe put in. I enjoyed it for about 2 days. Then it just drove me mental. Like others have said, it meant I HAD to blowdry/ straighten my hair. I couldn't just leave it, or it would be a disaster!
Luckily it was a long fring and my hair grows quickly, so most of it can be tied back now. But never again (or not until about 2 years time when I will have my regular Ooh, I fancy a fringe moment...!)

StupidFlanders Tue 28-May-13 04:10:06

Eventually always!

RollerCola Tue 28-May-13 07:47:45

Oh dear! Now I'm more undecided. However, as Cointreau says I'm more of an Always fringe girl than a Never fringe girl - these last 12 months have been about the only time I've not really had one. I don't remember it driving me mad the way some of you say it does so I think I'll still go for it.

Thanks for the advice.

3MonthMaid Tue 28-May-13 08:21:03

If you've had it before and coped it will be fine. Mine is a regret job. Looks good about 5% of the time. Looks shit the other 95%

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now