Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

I need a dress to wear to a wedding - am stuck cause I dont DO dresses!!!!

(16 Posts)
TambaTheDragonSlayer Wed 24-May-06 18:52:43

Am going to a wedding in a posh hotel (bils)

Need a dress to wear - not sure on what sort of dress, the only wedding ive been to was my own!

Am 23 so nothing that would suit granny

size 12, quite big boobs, yukky baby tummy (so want to hide it!) and dont like the tops of my arms.

Am going shopping friday - an ideas? oh and also need to get shoes!

Ta xxx

Frenchgirl Wed 24-May-06 18:54:12

what's your budget Tamba?

cupcakes Wed 24-May-06 18:55:28

dresses are very fashionable this summer.
When is the wedding? Height of summer or soon?

TambaTheDragonSlayer Wed 24-May-06 18:56:07

Not sure, but tis pay day on friday

I think it would depend on the dress. Id pay more for one that was good at hiding wobbly bits!

TambaTheDragonSlayer Wed 24-May-06 18:56:19

Wedding is beginning of July

cupcakes Wed 24-May-06 18:58:17

dresses can be tricky with a wobbly tummy unless you have a jacket over the top. I'd wear a pair of tummy control knickers when you go shopping as it would make loads of difference (I'm so glad I'm pg this summer so I don't have to worry about this ).

TambaTheDragonSlayer Wed 24-May-06 19:00:13

Oh scary knickers! dont you get really bad vpl with them?

Frenchgirl Wed 24-May-06 19:02:25

empire line v in at the moment, also good for tummy hiding
then shawl type thing over the top?

Frenchgirl Wed 24-May-06 19:04:02

fab but could be tricky for big boobs?

WelshBoris Wed 24-May-06 19:05:50

I could recommend loads of shops and styles to you Tamba my sweet but with something as important as a dress you have to try them on and choose for yourself.You wont know what you like til you try it on and it feels great

Go shopping, phone turned off, no kids (if thats possible) make sure your hair is done nice and just try loads of different ones on

TambaTheDragonSlayer Wed 24-May-06 19:16:46

Those dresses are nice FG

What sort of bra would you wear with a criss cross dress like that? (cant really go without a bra!)

Hello WB - was it you that got the top from primark recently? the polka dot one? I went and had a look for it today (inspired by you me dear ) and they didnt bloody have it

Will have no kids or dh with me

WelshBoris Wed 24-May-06 19:22:39

Yeah primark, it was only by chance that I saw it, I was buying underwear and someone had put it back on the shelf near the bras
A real find

TambaTheDragonSlayer Wed 24-May-06 19:24:39

But I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed it [whiney voice]

JiminyCricket Wed 24-May-06 19:25:14

I like wearing print dresses with white trousers underneath, but may be the height of bad fashion sense at the mo

Frenchgirl Wed 24-May-06 19:25:16

I fear no bra would really work with that second one tamba, shame because it's v pretty
you should also check Monsoon out (it's not all for middle aged laydees ), they have some pretty dresses at the moment

TambaTheDragonSlayer Wed 24-May-06 19:28:53

I was looking at the monsoon website and they do have some lovely dresses. I need a friend to take with me but am short on female ones

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: