Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Maxi skirts - what do you wear with them?

(8 Posts)
MyNameIsSuz Sun 26-May-13 19:46:21

I've seen plenty about, New Look has several, but I'm a little stumped as to what to wear them with. What kind of top?

Also, is 5'2" too short to wear one at all? Size 10 but a little untoned after spending most of last year pregnant, so not hugely enamoured of the tops of my arms but not dead set against getting them out either (I think it's inevitable at this time of year).

Help find me something to wear!

freddiefrog Sun 26-May-13 20:05:49

I'm wearing a dark olivey-green coloured one today with a black vest, cropped denim jacket and pale gold leather Converse

I don't think you have to be particularly tall to wear one, only that they always seem quite long and you might have to shorten it. I'm 5ft 7 and it's not far off the floor

giftwrappedkittycat Sun 26-May-13 20:19:49

Ha, I was just pondering the same and saw your thread! I have a black maxi skirt and not sure what to wear with it?? I'm 5"3 but the length doesnt seem to be a problem, just what to team it with. Any suggestions please?

AlwaysSleepingBeauty Sun 26-May-13 20:21:04

I also wear them with vests and a cropped leather jacket. I also like high waisted maxi skirts with cropped tops (without much of a 'gap' if that makes sense?!) especially as my torso is short. I've tried wearing one with a vest and a lace body over the top and that looked ok too, like a best with lace sleeves.

Saw lots of maxi skirt wearers in the park today. The best way to wear seems to be as Freddie is - keeping the top half fitted.

Also saw loads of midi skirts worn high waisted with crop tops. Not a look I'll be going for.

And (being a bit mean now) saw a woman in leopard skinnies, parka and wedge trainers. It looked a bit tired to be honest. And hot.

But I did see a beautiful woman wearing a bandeau type sundress with LEGGINGS. And the fashion police didn't leap out from the sand pit or anything so I think we're ok. wink

Denim or biker jacket, or open denim shirt
Fitted-ish t-shirt or cami
Sandals or Converse, or ankle boots if cold

freerangeeggs Sun 26-May-13 20:42:06

I'm interested in the responses because I love the maxi skis in the shops just now but worry about styling them as they could look frumpy.

I bought a nice black one from river island and a dip-hem one from topshop. I've worn then with a long-sleeved crop top - my belly is a bit untoned but it only showed about an inch of skin so was actually quite flattering. I'm about the same size as you and I hate the tos of my arms too!

Trills Sun 26-May-13 20:43:42

IMO if the skirt is "big", your top should be "small" (tight-fitting, not billowy or too drapey).

I don't wear the tube-style ones because I like to be able to stride when I walk smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now