Talk

Advanced search

Are Pleated Skirts Fashionable?

(14 Posts)
happyreindeer Sat 25-May-13 19:34:05

I keep seeing vintage skirts in charity shops that I like with the pleats all the way round. I think we called them sunrise or something when I was young. They are a very frumpy length IMO but I keep being attracted to them Will people laugh and point?

PinkMangoSays Sat 25-May-13 20:31:03

I think they might be all the fashion. I saw some intopshop and primark the other day!

HomeEcoGnomist Sat 25-May-13 21:04:58

They are currently tres fashionable!
I have dragged out my midi length black pleated skirt that I have had for at least 15 years...and was complimented by a v stylish lady at work.

But do make sure you wear it with killer heels, not comfy slip ons wink

I've got an ancient Whistles-esque one, which I adore. Always get compliments on it too. Works with super high heels, ballet shoes and even Converse!

TeaAddict235 Sat 25-May-13 21:12:01

No! Never!

unless you want to emphasize a mummy tummy, cos that is oh so sexy (not).

FrugalFashionista Sat 25-May-13 21:14:15

Midis with plissee pleats are ultra fashionable. The fashionistas and edgy dressers around here wear nude and beige 1980s Sunday school teacher type skirts wink The frumpy length is the clou! (Remember when Miuccia Prada made the librarian look and polyester and ugly shoes chic in the 1990s.) If you are wearing one, you are ahead of the pack! The 1950s full Dior New Look skirts have also made a comeback, I saw some recently on some very stylish women <swoon>

Mine is a lot like this - its actually v flattering.

Gorgeous

VioletGoesVintage Sat 25-May-13 21:29:04

I have one, bought 2 years ago, at the height of the Carrie skirt craze <sheep>. It's lovely and I still wear it without caring two hoots what anyone thinks, although, tbf, it does tend to get compliments (although not from my DH, who loathes it).

VioletGoesVintage Sat 25-May-13 21:30:59

Oh yes, mine is a midi in a sort of dark orange/coral shade, so not exactly a skirt to hide away in!

Would quite like one in navy blue as well......

happyreindeer Sun 26-May-13 19:31:43

Thank you all, I will definitely be buying at £4 a skirt it seems well worth it.

AlwaysSleepingBeauty Sun 26-May-13 21:36:58

I love these on other people but somehow they swamp me a bit. I'm very jealous of those who suit it. There have been a lot of them around in mainstream shops, I've definitely seen them in River Islabd for a start.

Blanketsandpillows Sun 26-May-13 21:40:18

Yes-I have two; both midi length;one grey and one cream. They look lovely most if the time, but if I'm bloated or have had a week or two of binging (Christmas), they are the most unflattering things on my stomach. Love them though!

amothersplaceisinthewrong Sun 26-May-13 21:41:07

On five year old school girsl, yes. OTherwise no.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now