Talk

Advanced search

Aren't there ANY designer brands who cater for petites? Or even average height-ed people?

(21 Posts)
amazingface Fri 24-May-13 13:25:21

Right, so occasionally I want to buy a special dress for a wedding or something. I think there are often great finds on the Outnet, and I'm drawn to the better fit, fabric and 'finish' that often (not always of course) comes with designer brands. But fgs. The manneqins are 5'11, and in most cases wearing 4-5' heels on top of that.

So the stuff that sits beautifully at knee-length on these mannequins is clearly going to be around the ankles of 5'2 me. But you'd actually have to be 5'11 (ok, fine) and in the habit of wearing huge heels (not that usual, I would guess?) to pull most of the stuff off.

So what does one do if one wants to avoid the high street? I like J Crew and they do have a good petite range, but I can't think of anywhere else sad

amazingface Fri 24-May-13 13:27:06

And getting things taken up by a lot just ruins the line of a dress, I find sad

scarlet76 Fri 24-May-13 14:10:44

Yes, the only place I could think of was J.Crew.
Whilst not designer, Banana Republic have started doing a petite range online which has some nicer bits than places like Next or Dorothy Perkins in their petite range.

amazingface Fri 24-May-13 14:38:45

Thanks, Scarlet, didn't realise banana republic had a petites also. In fairness to Next I think they do petites well. But it's just when you want something a bit extra-special...

scarlet76 Fri 24-May-13 22:00:21

Next petite jeans fit me really well. And I've had the odd nice cotton top from there and also a wool coat. Just sometimes I fancy some higher end bits.

babybarrister Fri 24-May-13 22:57:36

I find all the Spanish brands v good as they are munchkins like me - try Adolfo Dominguez etc etc

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 24-May-13 23:01:19

Wish I knew.

I'm NOT petite anyway. I'm average height. So standard length should fit me right? and all that is too long should be called 'tall'.

And average sized people (as well as petite people) do have boobs and hips you know. Yes I'm talking about YOU Top Shop as though the other stores make the same mistake you are undoubtedly the worst.

SoTiredAgain Fri 24-May-13 23:28:29

It's even worse for those of us who are under 5ft (and fat). Glad to hear that BR are doing petites online as I love their clothes. Actually, I found that in the past their skirts/trousers always keep their shape well, even after alternations (chopping a good half foot off the bottom). Now, I just need to earn some money to afford their stuff again.

hallamoo Sat 25-May-13 08:42:47

On the flip side, I really wish more High Street brands would cater more for tall people. I'm 5'9" with a 36" inside leg, and I have a real problem getting jeans & trousers that are long enough. Boden, White Stuff, Joules etc don't make them long enough for me! At least you have the option of taking things up if you're shorter, jeans & trousers that aren't long enough just look daft.

InMySpareTime Sat 25-May-13 08:53:50

I'm 5'0", size 8 and curvy. Children's clothes (12-13) are the right length but lack curve, women's clothes, even petite ranges, are too long and the waist is generally round my hips somewhere.
I have given up, and now make my own clothes. It means my clothes fit me and nobody else has the same stuff.

scarlet76 Sat 25-May-13 10:19:04

I'm 5ft. Size 6-8 depending on the shop. I have had a couple of bits from the Johnnie B Boden range this summer that fit well in age 13-14 - a Breton top and a denim jacket.
I also like the Hobbs NW3 range. Some of the dresses, tops and jackets seem to fit well.

MrsCampbellBlack Sat 25-May-13 10:44:49

I'm 5ft and find DVF cuts pretty well for petites - I've got the Sarita dress which is lovely and a couple of others.

Also Sarah Berman which often crops up on the outnet. A lot of the stuff actually looks very short on the models on the outnet so hits me at just above the knee, but its trial and error.

NotAQueef Sat 25-May-13 10:49:04

Wow hallamoo those are some long legs you've got. I'm also 5ft9 but only have 33" inside leg. Have a very long back though so tops are never long enough!

InMySpareTime Sat 25-May-13 12:13:28

My inside leg is 24", you people are giants! <runs away on teeny tiny legs>

noviceoftheday Sat 25-May-13 12:19:55

How tall are you inmysparetime??!!grin

Great news about banana republic! In the us, every clothes range from high street to designer cater for petites.

PigeonPie Sat 25-May-13 12:22:08

I'm just 5' and have bought a few bits from Minuet which is the petite range from Alexon.

hallamoo Sat 25-May-13 13:39:20

Notaqueef - I do have freakishly long legs, I also like my jeans/trousers to touch the floor, which doesn't help my quest. Long legs are a blessing and a curse!

hallamoo Sat 25-May-13 13:41:20

Re: long back and not getting tops long enough - I've taken to buying H&M maternity vests in a smaller size - nice and long in the body!

NotAQueef Sat 25-May-13 19:06:29

hallamoo yes h&m seem to be the only place that do long enough vests as they have adjustable straps

InMySpareTime Sun 26-May-13 07:33:57

Novice, I'm 5'0", not freakishly short, but I have little legs.smile

amazingface Sun 26-May-13 12:04:06

hallamaloo that seems to be the problem alright. All the stuff that would fit tall people is extremely high-end, whereas there's a big gap on the high street. Smallies have it the other way around.

Anyway I am feeling slightly mollified after I had a another good look at the J. Crew petites range and I think there are a couple of dresses there that might be worth looking at (I'm trying to find something to wear for a close friend's wedding). The Camille looks like a good all-rounder, the origami looks really nicely cut, and the keyhole looks super flattering (might need some bright accessories for a wedding though).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now