Talk

Advanced search

skin miracle?

(11 Posts)
deeplybaffled Fri 24-May-13 00:13:52

Would be grateful for any lurking skin goddesses who might be able to help.
Basically, I have contrary skin. If I don't moisturise, it goes very dry, and even peels on my forehead and chin. If I do - and I have tried various things including olay, night cream, baby lotion and posh products - I get spots.
Given that I am mid thirties now, I was rather hoping that my pimply years were behind me sad
Does anyone have any wunder- products or tips like drinking 12 gallons of water and 345 vitamin pills a day that might help???? I am starting to feel a little forlorn about this, so any advice gratefully received!

SingingSilver Fri 24-May-13 00:36:30

Do you get the dryness and spots on the same areas? I had a friend with combination skin who used products for oily skin on her t-zone and products for dry skin on the dry areas.

chunkymonkeybaby Fri 24-May-13 00:45:01

What cleanser are you using?

alltoomuchrightnow Fri 24-May-13 01:01:51

my skin's similar.I do an aspirin mask twice a week and then moisturise with anything that's oil free. Cheap and takes years off!

alltoomuchrightnow Fri 24-May-13 01:02:36

crush up 6 - 8 , mix with a little water, leave on for 5 mins. that really is it. Not the soluble type though

deeplybaffled Fri 24-May-13 16:30:18

I'm using one by espa that was recommended, but wondering if it may be a little drying.

What would be a good oil free moisturizer to try?

Charliefox Fri 24-May-13 16:35:32

Dermaflannel!

FrugalFashionista Fri 24-May-13 16:44:47

Sounds like my skin. You need noncomedogenic moisturizers. The best I've used are Eucerin 5% urea cream (superb for flaky skin) and Effaclar H.

The entire Effaclar line is great, almost miraculous, for adult/hormonal acne, my favorites are the foaming face wash, AI for breakouts and Effaclar K daily under makeup.

I have a lot of high end skincare products and most of them are a total waste of time - too rich and perfumed for my skin and milia and acne inducing.

Feathered Fri 24-May-13 17:32:42

Are you sure your skin is dry? It might not be - might be dehydrated . . . that can cause spots. I use the moisture surge stuff from clinique along with making sure I exfoliate. That does the trick, apart from the horror hormonal spots which nothing will deal with apart from concealer.
Look for unperfumed stuff - I think the french pharmacy brands are meant to be good if you dont fancy Clinique, things like Avene or La Roche Posay.

deeplybaffled Fri 24-May-13 20:48:57

Great, thanks all.

valiumredhead Fri 24-May-13 21:49:08

The Body Shop Aloe range - the face wash is a bit drying but night and day ream and cleanser are all fantastic.

Ciciplast by La Roch Posay for the flaky bits as and when you need it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now