Talk

Advanced search

Wind and rain proof coat that also looks nice?

(17 Posts)
YourHandInMyHand Thu 23-May-13 12:51:23

I am off to Scotland soon and would like a coat to take along that is wind and rain proof. My everyday coats are neither of these! Not too heavy or padded as would rather wear a cardigan underneath if cold.

Has anyone seen anything that shields from wind and rain but that also looks nice?

For additional info I'm 5"6, size 16, large norks.

ToastedTeacakes Thu 23-May-13 12:53:46

I'm a fan of Penfield jackets.

particularly like the 'vassan'.

www.penfield.com/uk/wmns-jackets-s13

YourHandInMyHand Thu 23-May-13 13:11:27

They are quite nice aren't they. smile This is why I like MN, had never heard of Penfield before! Definitely an option thanks ToastedTeacakes. I like the bright green and yellow but would probably be too shy to wear them and end up playing it safe with navy. :-D

Anyone else have any suggestions?

ToastedTeacakes Thu 23-May-13 13:12:37

Haha, i love the yellow too (and know i might suit it) but fear being mistaken for a construction worker.

Peevish Thu 23-May-13 13:33:01

If you want something longer, take a look at Seasalt Cornwall's Hellweathers mac, which comes in grey and dark blue, and is cut like a parka.

manicmamma Thu 23-May-13 13:39:51

Just purchased a Danafae mid season coat. Gorgeous colours and design but windproof and waterproof. I'm in Edinburgh.
Sorry can't do links but google Danafae webshop.

YourHandInMyHand Thu 23-May-13 13:43:54

Some of these look nice:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref=sr_so_286?rh=n%3A83450031%2Ck%3Awaterproof+coat%2Cp_n_target_audience_browse-bin%3A122659031%2Cp_36%3A2100-11000%2Cp_4%3AHappy+Rainy+Days&bbn=83450031&keywords=waterproof+coat&ie=UTF8&qid=1369312595

I like the black flower and the dove grey flower patterns.

I am unsure what length to go for too. Will be going to Scotland in June, so it needs to be windproof to keep out the cold, waterproof for if it rains, or light enough to carry if the sun comes out. hmm

At home in Yorkshire I either have a big heavy (but not raint proof) winter coat, or a thin cotton, black parka style coat with a drawstring waist.

YourHandInMyHand Thu 23-May-13 13:58:08

I can't find a UK danefae website manicmamma but will have another look in a bit.

I think seasalt's macs would be too long on me peevish, they look long even on the model! I like the parka cut of it though.

calmingtea Thu 23-May-13 16:34:39

SØS Jensen There are other patterns, great coat.

Snowgirl1 Thu 23-May-13 21:25:11

Someone on another thread recently suggested Rainfrog for waterproof jackets and coats.

YourHandInMyHand Fri 24-May-13 12:32:13

Rainfrog has the flower pattern coat on that I linked to earlier by Happy Rainy Days in grey or black. I do like those ones.

rainfrog.co.uk/subCategory.aspx?object.id=RFROG-CATG-10120

Might pop to my local TK MAXX tomorrow and see what they have, like some of the SOS Jensen ones too!

FrugalFashionista Fri 24-May-13 12:57:48

Danefae is the business if you are in a seriously wet place. I love mine and used the Danish e-shop, but you can find some models like this on Amazon.co.uk. I also have an Aigle and that's also a great coat.

FrugalFashionista Fri 24-May-13 13:01:11

And this is the colorful coat Danefae originally got famous for.

Juneywoony Fri 24-May-13 13:17:16

The website www.trekwear.co.uk has quite a lot of choice at good prices too!

amazingface Fri 24-May-13 13:33:45

Well, it might be slightly heavier-duty than what you're looking for, but if it's Scotland, then...maybe not!
Didrikson's Cathlyn. It's light but very warm and totally waterproof. Fine to carry over your arm if you must.

I live in Ireland, and it's done me almost every day since September. For me this is a year-round coat.

Bunbaker Fri 24-May-13 13:55:58

Marking my place for future use. After getting a thorough soaking in Dorset last year I am looking for something longer than my Regatta waterproof jacket. My top half was fine, but my jeans and feet were soaking wet. When it rains that hard a short jacket simply doesn't do the job.

iseenodust Fri 24-May-13 14:01:22

Another vote for SOS Jensen at TKMaxx prices a bargain. Am a shortish size 18 and they have a flattering fit. Mine has a floral pattern.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now