Talk

Advanced search

BRA PEOPLE - Gimme a hand?

(20 Posts)
CajaDeLaMemoria Wed 22-May-13 20:18:08

I've convinced my sister that we should try measuring her tonight.

She saw a surgeon last year about a breast enlargement, with her friend, and he convinced her that her boobs were 'odd' - he used an A word that I can't remember off the top of my head, but basically said they were far away, and lack 'curve' at the top.

Anyway, she's having a nightmare being fitted, and I'm fed up of seeing her nipples all the time. So, I've got my tape measure out.

I measure just under the bust standing up, and then across the nipples leaning forward? Do I hold that tight?

And then post it here, so somebody can interprete for me?

WeAreSix Wed 22-May-13 20:25:04

Iirc measure band tightly and across breast loosely.

It sounds like the surgeon was trying to make a quick buck to me.

WeAreSix Wed 22-May-13 20:26:03

And yes, bust leaning over. Missed that, sorry!

Hopefully the proper bra guru will be along soon smile

OneLittleLady Wed 22-May-13 20:27:57

Under the bust should be pulled tight to get an accurate size. The actual bust should be measured loosely across the fullest part with you leant over at a 90 degree angle. If you pull the tape measure too tightly for this measurement, you won't get an accurate point to start from. Good luck!

Waves

Measuring guide is over on the blog thebetterbracampaign.blogspot.co.uk but basically - under boobs measured firmly, overbust measured leaning forward and not pulled tight.

MadBusLady Wed 22-May-13 20:49:09

Ooh, a live intervention!

CajaDeLaMemoria Thu 23-May-13 12:15:48

Okay, so I got loose measurements this morning, but I'll confirm them tonight because I'm a bit confused.

She's pretty sure that it hurt when I pulled the tape measure tighter than 32". She's a size 10 - 12, and trying to lose weight, so she was a bit self-concious.

Boob wise, it was seriously cold in the house this morning, so she was worried her nipples would change the sizing. I'm presuming that they won't? Measurement was 39", although possibly closer to 40".

We were running late, so I'll attempt to confirm them later...what do you think, though?

CajaDeLaMemoria Thu 23-May-13 13:49:05

Cheeky bump smile

She's wearing a 34B today but her nipples are planning an escape... I'd like to get her sorted.

She finds this mortifying since the surgeon sad

Based on those measurements, start her at a 32FF. Her nipples shouldn't make a huge difference to the size. In terms of 32 feeling tight - it is a tight measure because the tape measure doesn't stretch unlike the bras. You might also want to try her in a 30G/GG

CajaDeLaMemoria Thu 23-May-13 13:55:59

Thanks Stat smile

I'll take her out later and find a Bravissimo or something to try one on in.

I'm rather excited for her. She's had back ache a lot recently, maybe this is something to do with it?

Back ache and bad bras can be linked yes.

If you have a Bravissimo the staff are normally pretty nice and they won't insist on a full fitting if she isn't confident. What I quite often do is try a bra on but then get them to double check it for me - which would be a slightly less exposed option possibly

CajaDeLaMemoria Thu 23-May-13 15:02:18

That sounds ideal. I shall tell her about it smile

She's looking on Figleaves Outlet now. She usually wears skimpy padded air bras, so looking at the D+ range is a bit odd!

Any recommendations on what style to get? She does prefer the typical plunge pulled-together-boobs styles, although she does wear decent tops, thank god.

She likes this and this although I don't think she's ever had a long line bra before.

I'm a bit lost myself here. I probably need to get measuring too...

I haven't tried Elle Mcp myself but they get good reviews. Longline depends very much on body shape - they seem to be a bit love hate.

Here are a few plungey/moulded ones which she might like and which I have either tried, owned or seen good reviews for!

www.figleaves.com/uk/product/WDG-9145/Wonderbra-Everyday-TShirt-bra/?size=&colour=Nude
www.brastop.com/SetDetails.aspx?setId=4575
www.brastop.com/SetDetails.aspx?setId=2967
www.brastop.com/SetDetails.aspx?setId=4112
www.bravissimo.com/products/lingerie/sensational-sets/ashlee-bra/pale-pink/fyz5pp/?criteria=ashlee
www.bravissimo.com/products/search/#/1?criteria=satine
www.bravissimo.com/products/lingerie/sensational-sets/deco-honey-bra/purple/fy115pur/?criteria=deco+honey

once she has worked out her size I suspect she might like Ewa too - www.ewa-michalak.pl/search.php size dropdown on the left. I am a fan of the S and SM styles and many adore the plunges.

CajaDeLaMemoria Thu 23-May-13 15:24:00

Wahey, thank you so much smile

That's excellent. I'd never even heard of some of them!

MadBusLady Thu 23-May-13 15:29:37

Elle MacPhersons are great. The only thing I would say is they are definitely on the strap-you-in-no-wobble side of things. You wouldn't put them on for a slobbing around day.

And by the way, look how ridiculously small that cup size is on the model in the Elle McP pic!

SorrelForbes Thu 23-May-13 16:11:54

MadBusLady I'm glad I'm not the only one to comment on that pic! Badly fitting band too!

I didn't really look at the pic but jeez that is grim.

CajaDeLaMemoria Fri 24-May-13 09:26:23

Okay, so the bras we ordered came today. She's very upset that they don't have padding in like the description said...

Anyway, I've just realised that I know nothing about checking if a bra fits. She says the 32 feels tight, and she can only get it done up on the loosest setting. Hmm.

As for cups, she's saying it's too big because she isn't spewing out like she normally does. There's no gaping, although she can make the top of the cups move half a centimetre away from her skin it she slouches.

(this has been an education!)

have a look at the fitting advice on thebetterbracampaign.blogspot.co.uk she should be doing new bras on loosest hook only that's correct. If she is used to massively padded then light padding or moulding may seem light to her. have you got her to scoop?

from what you say they sound fine tbh-she is used to forced cleavage via quadboob!

SorrelForbes Fri 24-May-13 09:54:29

She needs to make sure that she leans forward and then scoops everything into the cup.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now