Talk

Advanced search

Fancy picking me an interview dress / outfit??

(14 Posts)
TooMuchRain Wed 22-May-13 20:08:48

Please say yes... I don't live near lots of lovely shops so am trying to look online but struggling a bit and you are all great and finding unknown shops.

I am size 10 (hourglass) and want something smartish but that I will feel comfortable in (I hate the self-conscious 'I am wearing my best suit' thing). I haven't had an interview for a few years and last time I wore jacket, short-sleeved top and wide trousers (so I could stuff my hands in my pockets when presenting to hide nerves!) all from Max&Co. It felt smartish but they were all linen so not too stiff. Oh and I am also pale and slightly ginger so black isn't a great colour on me.

Any ideas of good places to start??

TooMuchRain Wed 22-May-13 20:24:51

Actually, just saw this Toast jacket on another thread, could be a start...

SeashellHoarder Wed 22-May-13 21:25:02

Go green! A lovely green coast dress will give you confidence and flatter your figure. I find sizes run a little small.
Failing that phase 8 are very good.
Black court shoes are a great investment.
I have similar colouring and shape, I tend to avoid jackets and feel much more comfortable in a nice dress and a cardi.

TooMuchRain Wed 22-May-13 22:23:41

Green could be fun but the Coast dresses I saw online looked a bit too evening/wedding-like, will keep looking though. I also like the cardigan idea, could definitely help avoid the overly-formal look, thanks smile.

I also saw this midi dress on another thread which I quite like, though not really what I had in mind for this event.

SeashellHoarder Thu 23-May-13 11:39:51

I suggest you pick something close fitting / tailored for a sharp work look. As long as the fabric isn't too shiny and the dress has small cap sleeves or longer it shouldn't look too evening.

ivanapoo Thu 23-May-13 13:07:54

I would go for a fitted sleeved dress plus blazer, or smart trousers, blouse/ top and blazer. You can then take the blazer off if you get too hot/feel too formal.

Check out J crew, House of Fraser, French Connection or if on a tight budget, Mango, Dotty P and Zara.

TooMuchRain Fri 24-May-13 10:15:06

Thanks for the tips smile My problem is that I feel a bit uncomfortable in fitted things, that they are perhaps showing too much, and I also need to be able to move around easily for presenting. I don't know J Crew so will have a look there though.

Hazelbrowneyes Fri 24-May-13 10:25:35

Have a look at Clothing at Tesco. My fave dress came from there...it's a tailored denim dress. I always get complimented when I wear it. I bought the standard size and am 5ft 2in...it sits below the knee and to be honest I prefer that for work.

www.clothingattesco.com/dresses/f+f-smart-denim-suit-dress/invt/br312349/&bklist=icat,4,shop,catgwomens,womens-tailoring

Hazelbrowneyes Fri 24-May-13 10:27:56

Doh. Link fail.

Dress

tethersend Fri 24-May-13 11:40:48

Ah, you need Cos. Smart yet relaxed.

Something like this with a navy blazer or this with this jacket or this with this

tethersend Fri 24-May-13 11:44:06

They also have this which is like your midi dress but smarter.

TooMuchRain Fri 24-May-13 13:23:25

Ooh, Cos looks interesting thanks! I think I might have to order a few and try them on or get to a shop because it's quite hard to work out what they would look like on me but definitely more something that I could wear.

The Tesco dress looks great, but not for me, it would just feel a bit sexy secretary on me (because of my shape and general self-consciousness!) and as I will be feeling nervous anyway I really need to be comfortable in my clothes/appearance.

whosiwhatsit Fri 24-May-13 17:59:46

I would go with this Hobbs jacket over a tailored black dress and a nice silver necklace. The blue will go beautifully with your colouring and will tone down the harshness of the black dress. www.hobbs.co.uk/product/display?productID=0113-4432-9092L00&productvarid=0113-4432-9092L00-SEA%20BLUE-8&refpage=shop-business-suits

TooMuchRain Sun 26-May-13 08:51:20

You guys are great, i would never have thought about that colour on me - will add it to my list of things to try on smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now