Talk

Advanced search

How to walk with poise and elegance

(8 Posts)
MandyWatkins Wed 22-May-13 19:45:15

Does anyone know?

I'm tall and slim and do yoga and pilates and such stuff, yet I catch myself in shop windows walking like a carthorse confused

Presume I must have always walked this way. How can I walk with poise and elegance? Please share your tips and know how.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 22-May-13 20:07:08

grin when I find out, I'll tell you .

Do you think that because you are tall you maybe hunched up a bit when you were younger and more self conscious?

Pretend there's a wire in the top of your head pulling you upright (like a puppet)

Tell everyone to 'correct' you when you slouch.

(Reminds me of a funny line from a Barry Manilow book. He was supporting Joan Rivers, the audience were a bit meh.
Ms Rivers got a bit fed up being ignored and shouted at a girl "Don't slouch Honey, your tits'll sag" )

That's enough to make you walk proper grin

MandyWatkins Wed 22-May-13 20:25:36

Think you might be right about hunching up due to being self conscious in times gone by.

Thanks 70 will try the puppet thing.

HannahLaRouge Wed 22-May-13 20:30:33

Try and keep your weight over the balls of your feet rather than your heels, and engage your stomach muscles when walking - impossible to slouch if you do these smile

Wishiwasanheiress Wed 22-May-13 20:34:08

Easy. You need Lucy clayton school of deportment in Gloucester road. Same school Joanna Lumley graduated from. I went in 90s. Think they do short day courses. My nan sent me for my 15th birthday. For 6 wks. Kid you not.

Can still switch it on if necessary but less useful now a sahm.... Lol

MadBusLady Wed 22-May-13 20:41:08

What about the old-fashioned book on head thing?

I'm on the tall side and I definitely do the apologetic hunching up, it's terrible.

SofaCanary Wed 22-May-13 20:49:38

I'm tall and slim, did ballet for years and walk like Jar Jar Binks sad.

Watching thread with interest.

ellesabe Wed 22-May-13 20:50:07

I remember being told once to imagine that you are walking along an invisible line (ie putting your feet directly one in front of the other)

Does that make sense?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now