I really want flip flops but.....

(20 Posts)
bulletproofgerbil Tue 21-May-13 20:56:11

I just cannot find any with toe-posts that don't either rub the sides of my toes or cut into the bottom of my big and adjacent toes.

So far I've tried: fit flops, birkenstocks and havanianas. Do I give up or does anyone know of any other types that I could try? Tia

JoyceDivision Tue 21-May-13 21:02:08

It takes getting used to, I could have chucked up at wearing flip flops as I could feel really uncomfortably the toe post.

I bought a really cheap foam pair in teh sale from m&s (you need really light foam ones to start) and just wore them all day in the house for pottering around until I forgotI was wearing them. Don't get any with heavy / rubbery soles as they will 'drag'when you walk and they don't feel right.

They have had havianans in tk maxx, there were some lime ones that were really light for about 7 quid, they would be good starters

Good luck, and persevere, don't go for long walks, just wear them while you'rebusy in the house so you'redistracted from feeling the toe post.

Your shoe options will be endless when you crack it!

Loveleopardprint Tue 21-May-13 21:50:00

Get the soft fabric plain ones from Accessorize to get used to the feeling. They are light and the fabric is very soft.

bulletproofgerbil Tue 21-May-13 23:29:44

Oooh ok. Thanks for these. I love flip flops. And as you say, it would increase the choice of summer footwear no end if you can wear them.

nannyof3 Tue 21-May-13 23:34:14

Betulas !!!!! Love them! And i hate flip flops

Picturepuncture Tue 21-May-13 23:34:25

Reef, buy a pair, expensive but last forever and they are properly comfortable

janey223 Wed 22-May-13 00:03:49

Used to hate them now I can't be without them! Once you're used to the feeling you'll be counting down the days to summer, I only take mine off if its raining.

I got ones from asda last summer £3 a pair and everyone who has pinched them (best mate, her bloke, male friend ) all loved them they are really surprisingly comfy especially for the price smile they are on the website again this year..

Hopefully Wed 22-May-13 06:19:11

They take getting used to, as they sit in a different place to other shoes (obviously), so your feet need to toughen up. Wear as slippers for a week or so, then wear out for a couple of hours, then longer and longer.

HolgerDanske Wed 22-May-13 08:20:55

The best ones for comfort are Animal flipflops; they are brilliant. They've got a lovely soft fabric toe post. I work in a shop that sells them and I have served many people who have never been able to wear flipflops and every single person so far has bought a pair because they've just been so relieved to find something that feels nice between the toes.
See if you can get to an Animal shop (I think there are concessions in Debenhams stores as well), there are usually lots of different colourways so you should be able to find something you like.

They also last for ages and are not too pricey.

bulletproofgerbil Wed 22-May-13 11:11:11

Wow, thanks all. I don't know where to start now! I've never heard of Betulas before. Will check Debenhams for Animal as don't remember seeing them around here. And definitely asda, as I have one about 5 mins away. smile

LemonBreeland Wed 22-May-13 11:14:29

Another tip is to rub some vaseline on the area that they rub against to give some protection.

Lambzig Wed 22-May-13 11:16:51

I got some (whisper it) Crocs flip flops from tk maxx, they are so comfortable, the sole wraps up the side a little which stops the rubbing at the side.

Picturepuncture Wed 22-May-13 11:18:52

Oh, opps... I just went on amazon to find you a link for comfortable, gorgeous reefs. And ordered two pairs for myself instead blush

I've got my asda cheapies on today grin rattan type at the bottom with black - I also have the gold smile

bulletproofgerbil Wed 22-May-13 17:00:40

I'm not taking responsibility for that Picture smile I'm off to town tomorrow to test out some of the recommendations on here so thank you everyone.

awkwardsis Wed 22-May-13 17:04:40

Havianas really hurt my feet, and I'm a hardened flip flop wearer. You need a pair of reefs. You'll thank me wink

Flop83 Wed 27-May-15 11:18:11

Old thread I know.....

betulas are amazing

Kaspar19 Thu 28-May-15 21:44:58

Try and get fabric ones rather than plastic. The plastic ones give me blisters every time

Shonajay Thu 28-May-15 21:51:53

You know how footballers use rubbing alcohol to toughen up their feet as they're always wearing new boots, I wonder if you could try that? I've got a pair of Havianas and they're fine for a trip from my sun lous fpget to the bar, but not for long periods.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now