Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Unimpressed with Shellac... or is it the technician?

(13 Posts)
LollipopViolet Tue 21-May-13 19:54:56

I got Shellac put on my nails yesterday afternoon. Already, one is chipped and one is sort of peeling off. So, it could be:

a) my nails
b) Shellac isn't all that good
c) a poor job by the technician

It was all proper CND stuff, so not some fake thing calling itself Shellac. I'm just so disappointed, I've not done anything really apart from washing my hands after trips to the toilet, so I expected it to last longer than this.

So, because I'm not paying £15 at this salon again, can anyone recommend me a super-duper base and top coat so that I can do my own nails?

ChocolateCremeEggBag Tue 21-May-13 21:24:57

I think it was the technician - maybe she didn't have your under the uv light for long enough?

But I rate Seche Vite top coat - it's about £10 in Boots but really makes any nail colour last. I just use a basic boots base, so maybe someone else has a better suggestion there.

I also have my own gel nails kit via a groupon offer and making sure you "cure" each layer under the light really is key to making it last

ChocolateCremeEggBag Tue 21-May-13 21:26:07

I'd also got back to the salon and complain as shouldn't have chipped in a day. They should redo those nails for you at least
(if you can be arsed to go back that is)

Fairyloo Tue 21-May-13 21:31:17

It met be the technician. I had it done and was seriously impressed its still on my toes weeks later.

Go back it shouldn't have chipped all ready

LollipopViolet Tue 21-May-13 21:57:06

To be honest, I'm not going to go back, purely based on the fact that I only really needed them to look good for today, for an interview, and they did so I'm not that fussed about it. It was also the cheapest salon in town so, you know, lesson learned! grin

The rest of my nails are now bare too - most were just starting to peel, and I could basically scratch the stuff off... (yeah, probably a bad idea, I know!) My nails feel very dry already so don't think I'll use Shellac again, just try and find a top coat to stop my own polishes chipping so fast.

If I do it myself, at least I don't have to worry about scheduling appointments etc.

thecapitalsunited Tue 21-May-13 22:03:25

I also recommend Seche Vite. I'm quite heavy on my nails but with that I can go for a week before they get chipped. I do find that the tips wear but thats no big deal and no one will notice. Also, it makes your nails super shiny.

I've just been using any old base coat so I can't recommend one.

JemimaMuddledUp Wed 22-May-13 18:29:06

This happened to me once with Shellac, I rang the salon and they did them again for free. She wasn't sure why it had happened but was very apologetic.

I have had my nails done with Shellac several times and it has only happened the once.

TheBreastmilksOnMe Wed 22-May-13 18:48:09

I would say it's probably the application. My clients get at least 2 weeks some even get 5 weeks (which is rubbish for me lol) but true Shellac applied correctly to properly prepared nails and cured for the correct time using a CND lamp should not fail and does not cause ANY nail damage or dryness.

memphis83 Wed 22-May-13 18:52:17

I am very heavy handed and normal nail varnish never lasts more than a day for me no matter what I do.
Shellac never chips on me and grows out before a chip so I agree it probably wasn't put under the lamp long enough.
The only varnish that lasts a week on me is Bourjois 7 day wear. Read a review in a magazine about it and it is great.

littlediamond33 Wed 22-May-13 20:04:36

it prob wasnt done properley (sp?) i have shellac and it lasts 2-3 weeks.

LollipopViolet Wed 22-May-13 20:05:20

Aha, the lamp wasn't CND as far as I could tell. That could be it. There is another Shellac lady in my town, so I may give it a while then try her.

alltoomuchrightnow Wed 22-May-13 20:08:55

definitely the tech at fault..

Crutchlow35 Wed 22-May-13 20:30:47

It could be your nails. Shellac doesn't bond to my nails (tried 3 different salons). I have gel now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now