Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Spray tan before holiday. Do you?

(24 Posts)
TSSDNCOP Tue 21-May-13 17:42:50

Do you have a spray tan before go? Can you tan through a spray tan?

Olivermoliver Tue 21-May-13 17:54:52

Have only done it for a non summer break, I'd like to do it for a summer break but I think chlorine gets rid of it, so no good if you're likely to go in a pool. If I find out it doesn't then I might seriously consider it!

MrsLettuce Tue 21-May-13 17:56:43

Nope, I am pale and work to preserve that.

BunnyLebowski Tue 21-May-13 17:57:42

Same as MrsLettuce.

I love my pale Irish skin and much prefer it to brown-stained elbows and streaky legs grin

HandMini Tue 21-May-13 19:05:13

I did it once. Pretty orange. I loved it, felt different and healthy and loved getting into my shorts and summer dresses for the week.

lizandlulu Tue 21-May-13 19:07:27

I am doing, going in a few weeks and have booked to have one 10 days before I go, and one 3 days before I go. Going to have xen tan. Apparently it won't go patchy if I moisturise well. All the other ladies I'm going with use sun beds and I don't, so want to have abit of colour

Fillyjonk75 Tue 21-May-13 19:08:18

I used to put a bit of self tan on. But recently I've found it doesn't really matter if I'm pale to start with, and compared with most people I'm not too pale anyway. In fact I seek out the shade and don't lie in the sun at all, wear factor 30 all the time and still come back with a bit of a tan.

dexter73 Tue 21-May-13 19:25:53

No but then I go brown if I go out in the sun for about 2 minutes, so there isn't much point! I wear at least factor 30.

Hopasholic Tue 21-May-13 19:32:42

Yes I'm having one on Thursday before I go on holiday!

smile grin smile

^ ^^ they are for the holiday, not because I'm excited about getting my middle aged body out for some 20 something to cringe at. I just tell myself 'They wax fanjos too, spray tan is nothing compared to that!'

Olivermoliver Tue 21-May-13 19:59:26

Does anyone know, will it come off if you go in a pool which has chlorine in it??

PoppyWearer Tue 21-May-13 20:00:58

I use the gradual tan body lotion.

I'm very pale and once had a spray tan, which looked awful and rubbed off very quickly.

littlemissnormal Tue 21-May-13 20:02:45

I always have one as I'm sooo pale that I get mistaken for a corpse lying by the pool if not! I don't tan at all, so generally as the tan fades I actually come back from a holiday paler than I went.
The chlorine does make it fade faster, so I use an after sun with gradual tanner in it too to top it up,

Shakey1500 Tue 21-May-13 20:10:13

I did and it looked great for the first few days. Then knees and especially ankles began to streak, really badly and it looked ridiculous. Mind you, I am a lazy arse at the best of times never mind on holiday and didn't moisturise. Well, there was wine to be drunk. Right? smile

StrawberryMojito Tue 21-May-13 20:13:29

I did it once. I looked great to start with but I got paler and streakier as the week went on and most of it rubbed off on the hotel bed sheets. Have never bothered since. I just embrace my pastiness.

namelessposter Tue 21-May-13 20:16:49

Yes, then take an aerosol of st trop self to top-up mid week, and slap on the factor 50 all week to protect skin for when I'm old grin

dexter73 Tue 21-May-13 20:53:06

I remember a bad fake tan look from last year. The bit just under the ladys bum cheeks had not been sprayed where the bum creases at the top of the legs. I suppose when she was standing up having the tan the bit that was in the crease got missed iyswim. It was very noticeable when she was walking round in her bikini as it was very white and the rest of her was brown!

TSSDNCOP Tue 21-May-13 20:56:31

I tan quite well, even using F30. But there's always that first few days where I look white and uneven. I hadn't considered the chlorine.

Pale shmale. I like to look like a bronzed goddess well I'd like to but in reality not so much by the middle of the holiday.

wintersdawn Tue 21-May-13 20:57:54

I wouldn't do a make I hadn't had before as I'm pale and have had some that look awful but if you can find one that suits and someone who can apply it well, go for it. I get one and then factor 50 so I look tanned but avoid all burning risk smile

littlemissnormal Wed 22-May-13 13:34:16

^ haha yep re the white under bum bits! The lady who sprays me gets me to bend forward to prevent this and also makes sure she gets the bits under my boobs!

TSSDNCOP Wed 22-May-13 14:16:15

Blimey Little if I did that she'd need to lad up another spray cartridge! Alternative career as a panel sprayer grin

fiddlyfoodlebird Fri 24-May-13 12:01:50

You can have a spray tan before going on holiday but please bear the following in mind:

A spray tan offers no protection from the sun - you will still burn/tan etc. If you want to prevent sun-damage then you will still need to apply protection. Some lotions/oils/creams can accelerate the tan coming off, especially if they contain mineral oils.

The more you're in the water, the quicker your tan will come off - when you come out of the water, pat your skin dry, or dry off naturally if you can bear it. Do not rub your skin as exfoliation of any sort will seriously shorten its life.

Make sure your skin is moisturised to the max the week before going for your tan as that will help to to last longer. Don't apply moisturiser or shave 24 hours before your tan.

Keep your skin moisturised after your tan - it helps to prevent the natural shedding of skin cells. If possible, avoid moisturisers with mineral oils as this will strip the tan faster than you can say tango wink You can buy a Nivea mineral free moisturiser in any supermarket for a very reasonable price.

Some fake spray tans last longer than others - I use two that last at least 6 days.

littlemissnormal "^ haha yep re the white under bum bits! The lady who sprays me gets me to bend forward to prevent this and also makes sure she gets the bits under my boobs!"

I always get my clients to lift their legs slightly when doing their "smile line" under the bottom - it's less embarrassing for them than bending over and shoving their bottom in your face wink

lottieandmia Fri 24-May-13 12:04:02

IME (and I'm a beauty therapist) manual tans are better and last much longer than spray tans and they also fade more evenly. They take longer and are more expensive because of the time factor but it's worth going for that instead imo.

TSSDNCOP Fri 24-May-13 23:34:30

Thank a lot. I had a ST last week (cannot remember the brand). I looked after it before and after and it's lasted a week. V pleased. So my thinking was, have a ST (or rub on) the day before I go. Lotion up with F30 on holiday and as the fake tan fades, a natural tan will take its place.

Too optimistic?

JennySense Sat 25-May-13 13:00:02

I used to do this as I'm very pale but each one was a bit of a disaster.
This year I'm going to do one of those gradual tan body lotion things just on my legs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now