Talk

Advanced search

Hair when you go to the gym every day

(20 Posts)
MariefromStMoritz Tue 21-May-13 16:04:16

Hi everyone, I am very curious if you go to the gym every day, what do you do with your hair? Particularly if your hair is long? Do you wash it every day? And dry it and style it? I have just started to go to the gym every day, and my hair looks terrible. Either all limp with frizzy ends or I tie it back in a (horror of horrors!) low ponytail.

I want to look nice for work as well as going to the gym.

What does everyone else do? Thanks.

happyreindeer Tue 21-May-13 16:08:16

My gym teacher takes up to 7 classes a day.Her hair is shortquite short but always looks nice

If I had long hair and if I went to a gym I think I might try those bun things, (or an old sock) apparently done properly on longer hair it will give super curls so you could do it in a bun for gym and work and let loose the curls in the evening. lots of videos on you tube for sock buns to show how.

oopnorthlass Tue 21-May-13 16:54:50

I go to the gym in the morning, and it's only five mins from my house, so I do my exercise (with hair in a sweaty ponytail) then just walk home and shower and do hair as usual.
Can you just rinse your hair at the gym then wash properly at home? I always want to get out of there asap and use my own nice hairdryer.

oopnorthlass Tue 21-May-13 16:56:03

Have to say though, not sure if there's any point looking nice for the gym, I usually end up a sweaty mess. smile

CareerGirl01 Tue 21-May-13 18:04:51

Been going to the gym most days for the last 20 yrs (am 42). Long hair works best for me - had a fringe cut in a few years back so on the days when I don't wash and style it (x2 a week) I put it up in a sock bun and just wash the fringe - using dry shampoo ( Klorane do an oat one which is great/and just started using the skip a wash mum and me from Cussons which is good too). Sometimes I pin curl it on days when I don't wash it and it makes for great curls. I do have blonde highlighted hair which doesn't get that greasy.

CareerGirl01 Tue 21-May-13 18:05:48

Should say I wash my fringe with normal shampoo and put dry shampoo through the rest.

talkingnonsense Tue 21-May-13 18:25:46

But if you work up a sweat don't you want to wash all your head?! Gym instructors do often seem to have v short hair.

MariefromStMoritz Wed 22-May-13 04:01:17

Can you use a hairdryer every day though? Doesn't it damage your hair?

you could run a little coconut oil through the frizzy ends then wash after, if you spray heat protection on too then a hairdryer is ok daily, just make sure you use conditioner and don't have it full heat or too close.

I mean use the oil while you at the gym

HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Wed 22-May-13 08:55:34

Chop it off! I am in the gym all the time and have a short crop. It withstands the constant washing and it dries so fast I don't need a hair dryer. A gamine crop can look quite elegant (if its not full of sweat).

CooEeeEldridge Wed 22-May-13 09:04:45

I do the same as career girl, I also sometimes where a cap to the gym, dry shampoo hair before hand and then just Hairdry after (not wash). Wearing a sweat band also seems to protect my hair quite well, as does leaving it loose at gym sometimes- although this can get quite annoying!

A crop is quite an extreme idea, plus I have a big, round face / head so would look more moon face than elfin!

MariefromStMoritz Wed 22-May-13 10:11:08

CooEeeEldridge, I am the same as you, I have a massive head grin.

What dry shampoos do people recommend? Thanks.

CooEeeEldridge Wed 22-May-13 11:11:43

I think batiste (sp?) is best, I use the dark brown one, it's v good! Have tried supermarket own brand ones but not found any as good.

MariefromStMoritz Wed 22-May-13 11:54:35

They have a dark brown one? I never knew that. I used the white one, but it made my (dark brown) hair white. Ooh, off to Boots...

Thanks grin

Sleepwhenidie Wed 22-May-13 13:02:22

I exercise most days and the thought of not washing afterwards is frankly disgusting, my hair is usually wet from the workout! It is long, I just wash it every day, blast dry it, or at a minimum, dry my fringe.

TippiShagpile Wed 22-May-13 13:04:40

I exercise hard every day (get very sweaty) and certainly couldn't not wash my hair (IYSWIM). Just wash and quick condition and dry with hair dryer. Occasional deep condition if it looks like it needs it.

dexter73 Wed 22-May-13 13:14:31

Do you not have to have a shower anyway after a gym session? I go every other day and have to wash my hair as it is usually wringing wet with sweat! Try VO5 hot oil treatments.

Maybe tie it up and slick a hair mask through it before you start so that it has time to sink in while you are exercising and can be washed out afterwards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now