Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about accessorising a beach holiday wardrobe on a STINGY budget!

(8 Posts)
ellesabe Mon 20-May-13 20:42:51

Hi everyone!
We are going abroad on holiday as a family for the first time since the addition of dc so am in the process of giving my summer wardrobe a complete overhaul!
I am slightly larger than I was before dc but the main issue is that I seem to have developed a vague sense of style (thanks mumsnet!) and wouldn't be seen dead in half the clothes I used to wear!
We are also on a really tight budget...I know you lot are up for a challenge!

The clothes and shoes are mainly sorted but I'm coming unstuck with the accessories. Here is what I think I need:

A SUNHAT - The only hat I seemed to own pre-dc was a baseball cap blush I have seen a couple of sunhats that I like... What do you think? This one from Debenhams
this O'Neill one
and this animal one

JEWELLERY - I know that it's all about the statement jewellery at the moment but I'm not sure whether I would get too hot wearing big pieces and I'm nervous about tan lines! I just need to get some lightweight pieces don't I? Any recommendations? Where should I look?

BAGS - I have bought an enormous beachbag for the beach but I could do with something for the days that we are sightseeing. At home I use a rucksack but think this might be a bit too hot on my back. It needs to be big enough for all the baby-parafernalia but small enough to be carried around all day without wrecking my shoulder!

Okay that was an essay! Is there anything I have massively overlooked? I am so excited to be going away and really want to look the part too smile

Snowgirl1 Mon 20-May-13 23:55:24

It's great to have a holiday to look forward too, isn't it?

Large brimmed hats aren't my thing, but I'm sure someone more stylish will be along to comment soon. Have you thought about a woven trilby style - Gap have quite nice one in a funky bright colour and it's pretty good value too.

Gap also have a leather tote bag on sale in a great summery colour - big enough for lots of baby stuff.

ellesabe Tue 21-May-13 09:48:11

Thanks for replying!

That bag is gorgeous!

I saw a similar hat in Asda the other day but wondered if it would keep much of the sun off my face and neck. Do you think it would?

AngsanaTree Tue 21-May-13 11:29:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AngsanaTree Tue 21-May-13 11:34:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ihaveavoo Tue 21-May-13 11:51:17

Accessorize do cute holiday jewelry such as anklets, also kaftans and sunnies. Check them out?

Snowgirl1 Tue 21-May-13 12:58:26

ellesabe I think you're right that hat probably wouldn't keep too much sun off your face and neck - I have to admit I'm usually more of a sunnies and sunscreen girl, rather than a hat.

H&M also do really good value (ie. cheap!), on-trend accessories, bags etc. Here's quite a simple stylish bag that looks big enough for baby "stuff" and which might go well with that animal hat you've linked to.

This for a statement necklace? Summery colours, but you could easily wear when not on holiday too. Although not sure it's 'lightweight' or good for line-free tanning, but nice for the evenings maybe? [http://www.oasis-stores.com/long-multirope-tassel-necklace/jewellery/oasis/fcp-product/8140185300 This]] might be more lightweight and suit if your style is more boho?

Snowgirl1 Tue 21-May-13 12:59:08

This might be more lightweight and suit if your style is more boho?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now