Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What sort of clothes do you wear to a christening?

(9 Posts)
SquirrelNuts Mon 20-May-13 15:35:20

Its next week, and i'm god mother. I haven't been to a Christening since I was 9 so I have no idea what to wear!
Im 25, and a size 8/10 but still have a baby belly so nothing too tight.
Is a dress above the knee inappropriate? Would leggings and a tunic {{http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_62181+DA63427_-1 like this]] be too casual.

Any help please!

I would say if in doubt go on the smart side, especially as a Godparent. I wouldn't do leggings unless they were worn as tights with boots under a dress, which isn't really appropriate at this time of year. There was a thread a while back debating whether you could wear jeans to a Christening and it got very heated. I would say a smart-casual to smart dress or jacket and trousers or similar.

EuroShaggleton Mon 20-May-13 15:49:42

Basically whatever you would wear to church. Smart casual, I'd say. I went for a dress for the last couple I went to.

sweetheart Mon 20-May-13 16:09:33

The last christening we went to we got nicely dressed up only to get there and find it was part of the usual Sunday service where all the regular congregation were there in jeans and jumpers. I felt sooooo overdressed! I'd suggest finding out if it's part of the usual Sunday service or if it's a special christening service before getting too dressed up.

DerbyNottsLeicsNightNanny Mon 20-May-13 16:11:49

Last christening we went to we went WAY too casual and I was mortified, most other guests were dressed pretty much as though they were going to a wedding, me & DH turned up in (smart) jeans and tops. The only reason we semi-got away with it was because we had had the furthest journey, we said our smart clothes were in the car but because our toddler was playing up so much we hadn't had time to put them on - don't know if we were believed, probably not! I would say if in doubt definitely go smart!

Littleturkish Mon 20-May-13 16:13:28

No denim!!

I'm a similar size/age to you but my baby belly was me in 10/12 at the moment as I can't stand my lack of flat stomach. I wore black maxi dress, flats as the do afterwards was in a garden (no sinking in grass!) and a grey blazer with a light green silk scarf to give me some colour!

chunkymonkeybaby Mon 20-May-13 16:31:29

I think it's better to be a bit overdressed than unaddressed. Maybe a nice tea dress, or something? I'm the same age and about the same size as you (baby belly too!) and I have this

www.riverisland.com/women/dresses/day-dresses/Red-ditsy-print-button-through-dress-633448

It's easy to dress up and down and isn't too tight on my tummy

chunkymonkeybaby Mon 20-May-13 16:32:59

Underdressed, stupid autocorrect!

BackforGood Mon 20-May-13 16:36:29

Smart.
At our church there are Christenings held during the service, but the Christening Party always dress up.
If you get it a bit wrong, it's always better to be smarter than everyone else, than more casual. However, as a GodParent I would definitely say smart (relatively formal) - dress and jacket would be the safe bet, but don't show loads of flesh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now