Talk

Advanced search

Help I suck at finding good shoes for work dress

(10 Posts)
slightlysoupstained Sun 19-May-13 21:24:59

Am about to go back to work after mat leave, and having previously been a fairly slobby dresser have decided to smarten up a little bit when I return. Partly as a reaction to having spent last 9 months covered in dribble etc (I can wear something nice and it won't get covered in chewed banana!), partly because I think I'll feel a bit more confident if I feel a bit smarter. It's a fairly casual workplace so smarten up doesn't mean very formal, but a bit nicer than jeans & t-shirt which was my previous uniform).

So have bought a couple of dresses, including this one:

www.peopletree.co.uk/sale/women/dresses/janey-ovals-flared-dress

but have no idea what kind of shoes to wear with it. The other dresses I have look okay with my boots, I think, but not this one (plus if we actually get a summer then knee length boots will look a bit weird). I can't wear stuff with a massive heel, & need something comfortable enough to walk a couple of miles in. I guess some sort of strappy sandal maybe? Would Mary Janes make me look like a five year old?

Windowbasket Sun 19-May-13 21:45:20

I am in exactly the same position! Posted a couple of Clarks links on here recently which got shot down in flames - hope someone comes along to help us soon!

NorthernLurker Sun 19-May-13 21:47:52

A colleague has a dress like that and wears ballet flats with it. Personally I love Clarks. Not the prettiest shoes but I like not having my feet massacred. I recently got some v comfortable patent things at the Clarks outlet. POsters on here had spasms but everybody in RL has spontaneously admired them.

emsyj Sun 19-May-13 21:53:56

I've just bought a pair of these and they're really nice - they're comfortable and look much more expensive in real life.

Charliefox Sun 19-May-13 22:18:05

I think these would look amazing. A wedge would work too. The M and S ones are nice in real life, I agree.

slightlysoupstained Sun 19-May-13 22:27:27

Northern Agree on not wanting massacred feet - ideally I want to be able to walk 5 miles or run for a bus in my shoes.

Hmm, ballet flats would've been something I'd dismiss as being too thin soled for comfort, but I guess these would work?
www.clarks.co.uk/p/20333262

Thanks emsyj - have an M&S near me so can go try those on.

Windowbasket my next question is do I wear black tights, bare legs, leggings... Really a fashion novice here!

emsyj Sun 19-May-13 22:31:40

I've got my eye on these clarks ones, which I personally prefer to the ones you have posted. I have a 'thing' for patent blush.

cornypedicure Sun 19-May-13 22:38:21

hush puppies do some nice flat ballet type shoes and are super comfy

here
and here

emsyj Sun 19-May-13 22:40:31

I can vouch for the Hush Puppies Freya style being super super comfy - and they come in lots of colours.

slightlysoupstained Mon 20-May-13 20:55:16

Ooh, lots of nice ideas. Thanks all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now