Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

What is least terrible- bare (grey) legs v poorly applied fake tan v tights?

(44 Posts)
LauraPashley Sun 19-May-13 19:38:24

These are my options for a wedding this weekend, I know none of them are ideal, but want to minimize the disaster...

I have a floaty just below the knee dress to wear. I am a very pale skinned person, legs haven't seen the light of day since last summer. It's grim down there. I am fairly good at moisturizing them quite often but that is it.

So my options are:
- bare all, as they are, will obv shave and moisturize
- attempt a fake tan- I am really crap at such things and fear a disaster, also dress is sleeveless so would have to do full body and that I think is an even bigger disaster waiting to happen! Budget wise a spray tan is out of the question sadly, or even time wise, all this don't wash your hands stuff isn't practical with nappies to change etc
- tights- would have to be toe-less - is this just a huge no no no?!!

Please help I am really clueless!!

SwedishEdith Sun 19-May-13 19:41:50

tights

ceres Sun 19-May-13 19:43:26

if it isn't until next weekend you have time to use a gradual tan - holiday skin or similar. i find the garnier one suits my very pale skin.

otherwise i would go for the tights. much better than badly tangoed legs.

angusandelspethsthistlewhistle Sun 19-May-13 19:44:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LetUsPrey Sun 19-May-13 19:46:08

I got some of the open toe tights from M&S and wore them to a party on Friday. I also have very pale, not-ready-for-public-viewing legs. Neither of my sisters believed I was wearing tights, resulting in them nipping at my legs to gently pull the tights IYSWIM!

LetUsPrey Sun 19-May-13 19:47:40

These are the M&S tights. I got them in natural tan.

Blanketsandpillows Sun 19-May-13 19:47:50

Tights! M&S do nice toe-less ones. I like a good sheen on mine-they make your legs look nice!

Sommink Sun 19-May-13 19:48:18

go for tanning moisturiser, i use the garnier summer hints one, (orange/yellow bottle) you would only need to use it a couple times for your legs to look nicely coloured.

SunnyRandall Sun 19-May-13 19:48:32

Tights.

DrGoogleWillSeeYouNow Sun 19-May-13 19:49:09

Tights.

Nothing worse than cold, mottled, bare legs.

GlitterFingers Sun 19-May-13 19:49:10

Go to a salon and ask for the lighter tan it will look better than if you did it yourself

SanityClause Sun 19-May-13 19:52:13

What's so bad about tights?

LauraPashley Sun 19-May-13 19:53:45

Thank you all! I'm glad so many people are saying tights I thought they were maybe a terrible faux pas! I could possibly get an apt for a spray tan on thurs evening (wedding fri eve) but then I'd be all "muddy" at work on fri? Also like I said, would be changing nappies, giving kids baths etc...!
I've had a lovely light spray tan before and also a hideous orange one, I'm not 100% sold!

Willing to splash the cash on the tights- thank you for the m&s link! I also looked at falke (sp?) on amazon, has anyone used them?

GlitterFingers Sun 19-May-13 19:53:48

Ah sorry didn't see it was out of budget

glamstretchmarks Sun 19-May-13 19:54:33

natural colour, open toe tights!

takeaway2 Sun 19-May-13 19:55:15

Tights!

LauraPashley Sun 19-May-13 19:55:26

Oh also hadn't thought of the gradual tanner stuff, hmmmm! If it's not good i could cover with tights couldn't I? Is there no risk of streaks with that then?

Mottled, purple, cornbeef- all suitable descriptions of my legs!!!

LauraPashley Sun 19-May-13 19:56:50

Glitterfingers, sorry tbh I could prob stretch to it, but would be a hassle for childcare etc and tbh I'd rather save the money for drinks

GlitterFingers Sun 19-May-13 20:17:53

Ah I would go with the gradual tan and top it with instant if needs be

miffybun73 Sun 19-May-13 20:22:10

7 or 10 denier tights in a neutral tone. M&S Natural Tan is ok if very sheer.

Tigerstripes Sun 19-May-13 22:54:53

Goodness, I didn't even know toe-less tights existed!

Laquila Sun 19-May-13 23:08:57

I'd always go for bare legs over tights, even pale bare legs (as long as well exfoliated and moisturised) but then I do have a weird foot-claustrophobia thing...I have the same problem if I wear knee-high boots for too long hmm

novelsituation Mon 20-May-13 06:51:37

I would recommend a two prong approach:

Use This Works Perfect Legs Miracle on your legs (super moisturising, adds the faintest touch of colour, makes them look even - toned ).

Then M an S Autograph Bronzing tights on top. ( I have the palest legs ever and use the "nude" ones. I don't look "bronzed," - they are just the most flattering tights I have ever worn.)

zzzzz Mon 20-May-13 06:56:58

Tights. But then I would think it incredibly underdressed to attend a wedding with bare legs, even if they were perfectly tanned. <dinosaur>

dazzlingdeborahrose Mon 20-May-13 07:30:47

Tights. M and a toeless or pretty polly do a nice sheer toeless too. I'm in the no bare legs to a formal event camp. smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: