Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Are primers any good?

(17 Posts)
Ashoething Sun 19-May-13 15:43:37

I have never bothered with a primer but have read in a lot of the fashion magazines that they help your make up stay on better.

Is this the case and can anyone recommend a decent one-not silly money please though as am bit skint at the mo! I usually use double wear foundation-have oily skin-but cant justify the cost so have bought a cheapo loreal one.Thanks.

Lambzig Sun 19-May-13 16:21:01

I love the Laura Mercier one, its really good. It's v expensive though, even though it lasts me a year.

ExscooseMeMrOfficer Sun 19-May-13 16:31:16

They are definitely worth it my favourite is Lancôme la base but the loreal lumi magique one is really good too and less than half of the price of the Lancôme one

hotbot Sun 19-May-13 16:45:30

Dior, you can wear it without foundation as well.

Birdies Sun 19-May-13 16:51:34

I like MUA matte perfect primer from Superdrug, only £4

VerityClinch Sun 19-May-13 16:53:32

Benefit Pore-fessional is the absolute business.

ellajayne Sun 19-May-13 17:51:13

If you have large noticeable pores go with Porefessional by Benefit. It truly works.

For normal skin the Laura Mercier is amazing and for dry skin the Nivea Express Hydration (something like that) is great.

valiumredhead Sun 19-May-13 18:01:20

You need Lanacane anti chaff - same ingredients as Smashbox. It's fab grin

Featherbag Sun 19-May-13 18:05:37

This may seem a silly question, but what's primer? How and why would you use it? What does it do? My skin's just plain weird at the minute due to pregnancy hormones, I'm willing to try anything as it seems to take vast quantities of foundation to look 'normal' now and the one I use ain't cheap!

valiumredhead Sun 19-May-13 18:06:15

It's a base for foundation and makes your make up last longer.

bulletproofgerbil Sun 19-May-13 22:26:27

I think they definitely do make a difference to how your make-up goes on, how it looks and how long it stays on for. I've used the Benefit Pore-fessional which I love. The Smashbox clear one (can't remember exact name) which I also like and the Barbara Daly one from Tesco which I seemed to get through very quickly making it not quite as bargainous as I'd hoped. Have now got the Boots No.7 one but haven't started it yet.

horseonabeach Sun 19-May-13 23:11:29

Boots No. 7 does the job.

Decameron Sun 19-May-13 23:18:00

I thought a primer wasn't necessary but have been using Garnier 5 Second Perfect Blur for a couple of weeks now. I really notice a difference, less shine and my make-up stays on better. It costs about £12.99.

bulletproofgerbil Sun 19-May-13 23:43:01

That's good to know horseonabeach

medjool Mon 20-May-13 09:32:09

Boots No.7 is fantastic. I had a primer hunting day and lots of them are full of silicone, but not Boots. Testing it in store on the back of my hand, you could see immediately that it improves the texture of your skin.

dexter73 Mon 20-May-13 09:38:52

Decameron - I am using the same Garnier one at the moment and find it very good. I have also used the No.7 primer as well and like that too. It really does make my skin look smoother.

MsElisaDay Mon 20-May-13 09:39:15

Another vote for Benefit's Pore-fessional.
I'd never tried a primer until I got married, and had my makeup done at the Benefit counter. The difference is absolutely incredible.
Some days I just wear Pore-fessional and Bo-ing concealer rather than a foundation, it's that good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now