Talk

Advanced search

How do you go grey?!

(6 Posts)

I have light brown hair.. with a lot of red in it (DS1 insists I'm ginger) and recently I realised I am developing a skunk stripe. At my parting and if I lift my hair on the opposide side there is a distinct whiteness. I have had a few greys for years (I'm 45) but suddenly..overnight it seems.. they have multiplied big time.

I was quite unwell for a few months before xmas and I am wondering if that could actually have hasten the appearance or is that an old wives tale?!

Either way I am now faced with a choice.. really regular dying or grow it out and see how I look with silver bits! It's only 5 weeks since my hair was last coloured, and there is a good half inch if not more, of greying roots.

I'd quite like to grow it out! I'm currently growing my fringe out and hae longish hair anyway, so wondering if I can just sit it out. Or will it just be awful?

Has anyone bitten the bullet and just gone for it?!
(or shall I just hit the red hair dye?!)

lljkk Sat 18-May-13 17:40:24

Good hairdresser would be best advisor.

spanishring Sat 18-May-13 22:10:02

Get it cut as shot as you dare.
Buy some nice scarves / hats
Resist the temptation to dye it. Etc etc
Wait ...
I'm 6 months in and there's no immediate gratification on this.
But my hair looks a million times better than over dyed too dark hair with roots coming through

soupmaker Sat 18-May-13 22:25:45

I'm grey and I love it. I started going grey in my late 20s. For most of my 30s I had a French crop so it was very short. I now have a chin length curly bob. I'm really silver now and gets loads of compliments on my highlights. Originally I had dark brown hair!

ProphetOfDoom Sat 18-May-13 22:37:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nohalfmeasures Sat 18-May-13 22:53:05

I started using semi permanent colours and gradually got lighter until I was using a dark blond. By that stage I was almost completely grey. I had a couple of quite short haircuts and that was that!
I think light brown (as I was) is quite easy to let go grey compared with being dark

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now