Talk

Advanced search

Lightweight, hooded, waterproof and faintly 'on trend' parka? Can it be done?

(24 Posts)
herbaceous Fri 17-May-13 12:50:11

The search goes on.

I'm going to Germany for a few days with my choir (rock n roll), and it looks like the weather is going to be warmish but showery. I have various light jackets, but none are quite right - too slimy, too cagouley, too hoodless.

So what I'm looking for is a parka-type thing, that is at least showerproof, has a hood, and is small enough to be rolled up when the sun comes out, yet isn't a slimey nylon pac-a-mac type thing. Is this a crazy pipe dream?

And, oh yes, it has to be cheap.

WhyIRayLiotta Fri 17-May-13 12:57:47

yes thats a tough brief!

I saw this in Miss Selfridge a few weeks ago. I thought it was lovely - and flattering on. I think it was quite lightweight.

herbaceous Fri 17-May-13 13:24:18

Ooh that is nice. Though petite. And the only non-petit sizes left are 4 and 6. Sadly, I'm a 12-14.

Fairylea Fri 17-May-13 13:26:21

I brought one like this from boohoo.com for about forty quid. I'm not sure if they still have them, but I LOVE mine and I'm still wearing it now many many drenchings and machine washes later!

herbaceous Fri 17-May-13 13:37:06

Ooh they're nice too! Though hard to see how lightweight they are.

I do have a khaki parka jacket thing, but it's made of the most annoying nylon material that isn't showerproof, is really cold against the skin yet a bit sweaty when it gets warm. Pretty all-round useless as a coat, really.

FreeButtonBee Fri 17-May-13 13:44:54

I have a great one from seasalt. It makes me feel vaguely stylist when pushing my double buggy about in the rain. Hang on will link

Bunbaker Fri 17-May-13 13:48:13

Wax jackets aren't lightweight.

herbaceous Fri 17-May-13 13:49:42

Am I losing my faculties, or is this from BHS actually OK?

lebasi Fri 17-May-13 13:54:09

How about www.fatface.com/coats-and-jackets/rosey-jacket/invt/40909?colour=Pink%20Rose? They also do a more Pac-a-Mac version, but imho the duffle version is more versatile.

herbaceous Fri 17-May-13 14:16:20

Ooh, we may have a winner! I like the navy...

herbaceous Fri 17-May-13 14:21:13

Anyone know how Fat Face sizes come up? I'm between a 12 and a 14, with boobs.

lebasi Fri 17-May-13 14:31:59

You have good taste... I have the navy! I'm a 10/12, with boobs too, and the 10 is fine, so I would think the 12 should be good for you. Wouldn't be able to get a big jumper underneath but if the weather is going to be warm, that shouldn't be a problem.

WhyIRayLiotta Fri 17-May-13 15:29:15

That Fatface one is lovely smile

noddyholder Fri 17-May-13 15:37:03

i like this

FreeButtonBee Fri 17-May-13 15:39:19

http://www.seasaltcornwall.co.uk/women/clothing/outerwear/lightweight-waterproof-long-summer-coat_stone.htm

The drop hem at the back helps make it a wee bit more stylish

herbaceous Fri 17-May-13 15:45:16

<head spins> Rather than an impossible dream, it seems there are too many options!

FBB - that's v nice, but a bit pricey.

This is rather a luxury purchase, especially as I have no money. As well as previously mentioned slimey jacket, I also have a grey sensible outdoor waterproof, a khaki parka (which is on its last legs, and very heavy), and a pack-a-parka from Saino's, which I doubt would keep me dry from a light mist. So, none quite right, but all would probably do.

DeathMetalMum Fri 17-May-13 18:29:07

I'm also looking for a similar thing to you been in a few shops today and nothing!

I really like the Fatface coat though lebasi what is the length like? It's hard to tell from the photos, I'm looking for mid thigh length but also short so it might be ok.

FreeButtonBee Fri 17-May-13 18:33:32

It is but it's really nice and I can see myself wearing it for years. It doesn't look silly in town but can equally see myself wearing it on a rainy day at the beach. It's v well made.

lebasi Fri 17-May-13 19:39:39

DeathMetalMum - the Fat Face coat is top of thigh on me (I'm 5'6") so you may want something longer - but it is lovely, and I've had lots of nice comments about it (including from a married stranger, but that's another story....)

SilverSky Fri 17-May-13 19:49:40

I have this from Matalan:

http://www.matalan.co.uk/mobile/womens/shop-by-category/coats-and-jackets/s2527541/parka-jacket

It's ideal. I also got a voucher code at the time which I got via an app and had to show the cashier so I got it a bit cheaper.

DeathMetalMum Fri 17-May-13 19:53:23

Thanks, I'm 5'2 max I think I will give it a try been looking too long for the right thing I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist!

herbaceous Sun 19-May-13 18:50:25

Well, being a skinflint I picked up something today - a navy parka-type jacket, with hood, in cotton. I'm not sure it's going to be particularly showerproof, however. I have some protector spray that says it can be used on canvas - do you think it would be at all wise to use that on the jacket?

herbaceous Sun 19-May-13 19:00:02

Meant to say... picked it up in Sainsbury's, for £25. Just what I was looking for. Hardly any left, and in a world first had only a size 12 left, rather than the usual 8 or 18.

MrsJollyPostman Sun 19-May-13 19:08:26

I have a really good one from mantaray at debenhams. Dark green colour. Will try and link

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now